Copper Conductive Tape

Hi Everyone,

I am giving my first build/rebuild a go.  I bought a Monoprice Indio Telecaster with the hopes of stripping all components and adding better quality ones.  I have already purchased all the components and I am getting ready to start.  My question is about shielding the guitar using conductive adhesive copper tape.  I have (5) 3" x 14" pieces of copper foil tape with conductive adhesive that was given to me for free.  The question is about tarnish.  I have attached a picture of what the tape looks like.  What if any problems will this cause if I use the tape as is?

I appreciate everyones input

.IMG_2788.jpg.3d785867f1d92f9a48353998790f73c3.jpg

Evan

If you're worried about the conductivity in the seams, simply sand the edge of the tape with some four digit grit wet'n'dry or wirewool/plastic equivalent  before gluing the overlapping tape. Wiping with vinegar or other acid might also do the trick but then you'd have to deal both with moisture and neutralizer (baking soda). You might even end up soaking the glue off the tape.

If I've understood right what I've learned, as long as the overlapping stripes have several contact spots the shielding will work. That's why some builders only have a few stripes of the copper tape turn over the edge of the cavity to make contact with the copper covered plate. An airtight metal box isn't necessary, it's about building a Faraday cage which in theory could be made as a wire frame in the edges and corners of the cavity. Since the cavities are of uneven shape covering all surfaces is the quick and dirty way to solve any corner issues.