Jump to content

Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

just one question... how often do you do woodworking in your sauna?

Rarely, but now that you asked, I remember having done it more than once. The main problem is that I don't have too many hand tools for guitar building or other fine woodworking.

Our sauna has no heating other than the stove. When it's  -5 °F both out- and inside it's quite nice to spread a tarpaulin on the floor under the Workmate bench and do some scraping and sanding while the sauna is warming up, taking clothes off as needed. At 120 °F it's time to wrap the dusty tarp away, fill the stove for the last time, broom the floor and lay the grating (currently roasted alder which is much nicer than the rubbery plastic) and go inside to prepare for the sauna.

You know, when a bunch of Finns move to a location where the temperatures are above 100 °F the first thing they do is build a sauna - the UN guys as well as the project worker groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, did not see that coming.  I can't stand wearing my face shield for more than 10 mins when my garage is that hot... and sweating so much that I'm concerned about slipping.  Def not ideal for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@avengers63 must love this side track of his thread! Then again, he was the first one talking about weather and temperatures...

I learned that the Ricky is a neck thru which I've kind of grown fond of. Who knows, maybe some day I'll build the bass I've been thinking of for quite some time and in that case that shape is definitely on my list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a few years, we're planning on moving. Probably to Tennessee. I'm sure I'll have some of that sauna action waiting for me.

But until then......

 

side dots in...

023.thumb.jpg.90ba22a4fa13f78a1355e6d020336775.jpg

 

gratuitous fretboard shot...

024.thumb.jpg.56c70acef0d3da5b7eeb4f9d03c6954a.jpg

 

frets in, beveled, and filed flush

025.thumb.jpg.471505c55f42dd783c612f4f26043ff9.jpg

 

end of the "under the fretboard' wood taped off to prep for the veneering

026.thumb.jpg.0050b23dd98910cf39cc058c25f35a38.jpg

 

then evening up the edges of the bookmatched veneer

027.thumb.jpg.a86b0e5fc0a2ed029e1569e953bd23df.jpg

 

cutting out the fretboard area on the veneer

028.thumb.jpg.6d8e0a13aa62506f819400fdfd83ff1a.jpg

 

if a big piece of MDF, a 2x4 cutoff for the center, some other various cutoffs, and 12 F & C clamps can't replace a vacuum veneer press for a flat surface, then veneering a guitar is simply above my pay grade.

029.thumb.jpg.596ef6b376ea4bd2894b7874f18b864e.jpg

 

That's it for today. Nothing on the guitar. It's shower time, then booze & old wrestling videos

steambost.jpg.742df99bc1ca792029a3225efdde67a3.jpgwoo.jpg.adf60210c1504aef4dbd3e52979756d3.jpgsavage.jpeg.b56a36370159064b51773bb32cb384ca.jpegfreebirds.jpg.8ac3dc71b3d5e115404d72ac11b9c109.jpgaustin.png.649badcc30a84de353f0a0b738e19f83.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

A friend once got a job at a guitar building workshop far away but while moving he left his steel toes at home. Long story short, he soon had a bruised toe and couldn't go to work for several days.

In fact, as I was leaving the garage after my last building session, I kicked the vice on my little bench with my little toe and split it open right at the tip.

I might have cursed a little.

I didn't say I was being smart, just comfortable. The sandals often give way to bare feet halfway through the day.

SR

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, avengers63 said:

In a few years, we're planning on moving. Probably to Tennessee. I'm sure I'll have some of that sauna action waiting for me.

But until then......

 

side dots in...

023.thumb.jpg.90ba22a4fa13f78a1355e6d020336775.jpg

 

gratuitous fretboard shot...

024.thumb.jpg.56c70acef0d3da5b7eeb4f9d03c6954a.jpg

 

frets in, beveled, and filed flush

025.thumb.jpg.471505c55f42dd783c612f4f26043ff9.jpg

 

end of the "under the fretboard' wood taped off to prep for the veneering

026.thumb.jpg.0050b23dd98910cf39cc058c25f35a38.jpg

 

then evening up the edges of the bookmatched veneer

027.thumb.jpg.a86b0e5fc0a2ed029e1569e953bd23df.jpg

 

cutting out the fretboard area on the veneer

028.thumb.jpg.6d8e0a13aa62506f819400fdfd83ff1a.jpg

 

if a big piece of MDF, a 2x4 cutoff for the center, some other various cutoffs, and 12 F & C clamps can't replace a vacuum veneer press for a flat surface, then veneering a guitar is simply above my pay grade.

029.thumb.jpg.596ef6b376ea4bd2894b7874f18b864e.jpg

 

That's it for today. Nothing on the guitar. It's shower time, then booze & old wrestling videos

steambost.jpg.742df99bc1ca792029a3225efdde67a3.jpgwoo.jpg.adf60210c1504aef4dbd3e52979756d3.jpgsavage.jpeg.b56a36370159064b51773bb32cb384ca.jpegfreebirds.jpg.8ac3dc71b3d5e115404d72ac11b9c109.jpgaustin.png.649badcc30a84de353f0a0b738e19f83.png

I like your sense of humor.  I'm crusing along thinking "well those dots look real nice, wonder what he used" then blammo Rick Flair to the face!  I tip my hat sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I like your sense of humor.  I'm crusing along thinking "well those dots look real nice, wonder what he used" then blammo Rick Flair to the face!  I tip my hat sir!

I don't remember where I got them, but I use thin plastic rods for the side dots. I think they're 2mm. Super inexpensive. The hole isn't even 1.4" deep. A tiny drop of super glue, jam the rod into the hole, trim it flush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, avengers63 said:

I don't remember where I got them, but I use thin plastic rods for the side dots. I think they're 2mm. Super inexpensive. The hole isn't even 1.4" deep. A tiny drop of super glue, jam the rod into the hole, trim it flush.

I actually just don't do side dots... but was referring to those lovely fret markers.  they kind of look vintage like cream with a hint of orange.  what material?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

what material?

Would it be mean to refer to the previous page?

On 7/28/2019 at 6:40 AM, avengers63 said:

Being a cheapskate, and not wanting to mess with making and routing the sharkfin inlays, I just make some huge maple dots.

:peace

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really getting to work yet, just eager to see how the veneering turned out.  The squeeze-out mess was a hellofalot better than I expected. All I needed was a little cleanup around the fretboard, which I already protected with bue tape. Nothing got under it, but it required some encouragement to get off.  The only glue that leaked out onto the top will either be in the pickup route or under the pickguard, so no problem there either.

 

030.thumb.jpg.041f9d73e75c7ed2925cd5c6613f62da.jpg031.thumb.jpg.4f1ec276e5c875aa8fa3998759e5283f.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's some nicely snug fit there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't normally care for birdseye tops but I have to admit... that is going to look noice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate getting old. I'm only 49, but I can't stand for more than a few hours now without being done for the day. 

Any, on to the pickguard. I traced the image, spray glued it onto some hardboard, finessed it into shape, routed, beveled, drilled, and the fucking thing is smaller than the original. I THOUGHT I had the image at actual size when I traced it. What's done is done.

032.thumb.jpg.ea71eaaf878b0d994cbb93159a6c6b0f.jpg

033.thumb.jpg.96094991df8c9b49ce5ea89264dd1418.jpg

034.thumb.jpg.c264e1dc6a19612a1eb5db2fb43af9f9.jpg

Even if I had the extra inch of length on the control chamber, there's no way in God's green Earth I'd fit all that crap in there. This is why plans deed to be kept fluid. It just went from an active pre-amp 3-band EQ to a generic 3-way/V/T. Life goes on.

035.thumb.jpg.8c6b664fb13cbf482ae99f7cc4dab744.jpg

Part of the fun stuff - 99% of the routing to the template is done. Tomorrow I'll likely fer the pickup cavities and control chamber done up.

036.thumb.jpg.ee4da8b59b0b1efa1283ef281ef78fe5.jpg

037.thumb.jpg.9edfe4852ea8209229d48ad988a57989.jpg

038.thumb.jpg.1bc0ea23d43c4a5d606c8ef9ad6685a2.jpg

Yes, the bottom is flat. IDK how it happened. I measured it and test fit it about 30 times before gluing it together. I have a cutoff with it in the clamps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I hate getting old. I'm only 49, but I can't stand for more than a few hours now without being done for the day. 

Any, on to the pickguard. I traced the image, spray glued it onto some hardboard, finessed it into shape, routed, beveled, drilled, and the fucking thing is smaller than the original. I THOUGHT I had the image at actual size when I traced it. What's done is done.

032.thumb.jpg.ea71eaaf878b0d994cbb93159a6c6b0f.jpg

033.thumb.jpg.96094991df8c9b49ce5ea89264dd1418.jpg

034.thumb.jpg.c264e1dc6a19612a1eb5db2fb43af9f9.jpg

Even if I had the extra inch of length on the control chamber, there's no way in God's green Earth I'd fit all that crap in there. This is why plans deed to be kept fluid. It just went from an active pre-amp 3-band EQ to a generic 3-way/V/T. Life goes on.

035.thumb.jpg.8c6b664fb13cbf482ae99f7cc4dab744.jpg

Part of the fun stuff - 99% of the routing to the template is done. Tomorrow I'll likely fer the pickup cavities and control chamber done up.

036.thumb.jpg.ee4da8b59b0b1efa1283ef281ef78fe5.jpg

037.thumb.jpg.9edfe4852ea8209229d48ad988a57989.jpg

038.thumb.jpg.1bc0ea23d43c4a5d606c8ef9ad6685a2.jpg

Yes, the bottom is flat. IDK how it happened. I measured it and test fit it about 30 times before gluing it together. I have a cutoff with it in the clamps. 

well... that's a bummer but... if that's the worst thing that happens to you today you'll be doing "aight". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I'm only 49, but I can't stand for more than a few hours now without being done for the day

Young man, you have something to learn about standing. If the floor is hard like the concrete in your workshop, the soles in your shoes should be soft and thick to compensate that. Or simply put a piece of something softer the floor. A piece of rubbery garage mat might be a good alternative.

11 hours ago, avengers63 said:

It just went from an active pre-amp 3-band EQ to a generic 3-way/V/T.

You'll learn how to find the desired sound much faster with that!

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

Yes, the bottom is flat.

Isn't that for seating the jack firmly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in food service for 20 years. That, along with a curved spine, left my feet & back on the screwed-up side.

The jack was always going to be in a curved oval jack plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That explains your feet issues. Even more importantly get a softer platform to stand on.

5 hours ago, avengers63 said:

The jack was always going to be in a curved oval jack plate.

Shhh... you weren't supposed to tell that! You should have said "Yes, that's why it's flat, just like on a Telecaster."

Edited by Bizman62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Shhh... you weren't supposed to tell that! You should have said "Yes, that's why it's flat, just like on a Telecaster."

Meh.

I know you're just joking, but I've always documented damn near everything in my builds. Several folks have shown their appreciation for my "warts and all" approach. I felt it important to show the "younger" builders that yes, you WILL dork up something, so how you fix it is just as important.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I felt it important to show the "younger" builders that yes, you WILL dork up something, so how you fix it is just as important. 

Quite right. Great luthiery is not about not making mistakes, it's about fixing them so they become features.

I'm waiting to see your solution to the flat spot issue and refrain from suggesting anything until you've run out of ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best available solution was take a cutoff and glue it onto the flat spot. The other option was to steam off the veneer, add some wood, and re-veneer... and that wasn't gonna happen. It hasn't been sanded yet, but the pics below show the results. You won't see anything from 3 feet away, and it will be hard to see up close unless you're looking for it.

So I got a late start today. The heat set in, and the end of my garage where the router table is was solidly in pure sunlight. Me sweating like squeezing out a sponge means I wasn't getting much done today.  All I was able to do before pooping out was rout the body & headstock for the binding, put a roundover on the back, and hog out most of the pickup and control cavities.

 

039.thumb.jpg.5ec8f31cc641338515ab8cdc77db3d7c.jpg

040.thumb.jpg.76b5ae7a85c91a6ea16786b8c4d63ca2.jpg

041.thumb.jpg.1a6dca981e278b9e72e8a7a25273d144.jpg

042.thumb.jpg.2e9be2e46d679eb9c2e6a2da3c015d42.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking good.  that birdseye is really going to suit the rick styling of that guitar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You sure did a fine job fixing that flat spot! The roundover in the underside hides the seam perfectly well. Is there going to be any binding on the top? If so, there won't be any visible marks even for the most eagle eyed viewers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Is there going to be any binding on the top? If so, there won't be any visible marks even for the most eagle eyed viewers.

 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:14 PM, avengers63 said:

All I was able to do before pooping out was rout the body & headstock for the binding, put a roundover on the back, and hog out most of the pickup and control cavities.

😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...