Guitar Of The Month - September 2019

Welcome to the Guitar Of The Month entry for September 2019!

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites. The contest is open entry for any and all members, new or old. Winner(s) receive a featured article at the head of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage and elevated member status. ProjectGuitar.com receives tens of thousands of unique visitors monthly; Guitar Of The Month is a great way to showcase your creations to the world!

Submissions are open throughout the month with public voting open in the last week. Polls close on the first weekend of each month.

Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry just hits it out of the park and eclipses everything!

Tips and Guidelines

• Upload a maximum of eight photos for the instrument in your post
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise we'll make one up 😉
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build.
    • Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?
    • What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen?
    • Any background on what makes it special?
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness towards less experienced builders, we encourage professional builders to consider whether their entries constitute being "fair".
    • Commercial "standard" models are not a valid entry, guys....Guitar Of The Month is about unique and characterful builds, not rubber-stamped production units!
  • We reserve the right to pull entries that are thinly-guised adverts; ProjectGuitar.com is about community, sharing build processes and the exchange of ideas - not a vehicle for adverts by members that don't engage with the community.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread; instruments with a build thread shared tend to attract more votes from the general community. In our experience this is the biggest attractor of votes.
  • ProTip: Voters vote with their ears as well as their eyes....if you have any soundclips of the instrument or even a YouTube video, do post it! Everybody loves to look at beautiful instruments, but hearing them demo'ed is 10x as important.

----==----

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions!

----==----

If you have any questions about the contest, either PM the moderator team or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch!

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:crowdwaits:

• 2 weeks later...

My first foray in to Guitars of The Month! I remain humbled at the sheer artistry on display from all the usual members, here is my contribution.

This is my 4th build, built in my shed in the back garden. It’s kind of a modern take on the Fender Esquire style that I have built for my nephew Louis. I hope it lives through many happy memories! The Norway Maple I purchased initially weighed a tonne, so a lot of planing on the router was necessary in order to bring the body thickness down from 45mm to 32mm. At I think I got it down to a reasonable weight. A few things I noticed during the build, one big thing was that I am now a definite fan of those old style split post tuners! They hold tuning so well and I just think they are a really nice design. The EVO gold fret wire surprised me as I thought that the hardness of it would present some real challenges, however it really wasn’t too bad to use. I think it looks great too, will no doubt use again. One thing to bare in mind about Norway Maple…it really doesn’t like power tools a huge deal, what I mean by that is that it burns/scorches really easily! In fact it came to me part scorched where it had been cut to size. I’m not sure if this is something particularly common when it comes to this species…

Im not sure of the precise brand of the pickup but it has a very cool distinctive sound that is hard to pinpoint in terms of comparison and it handles volume a lot better than my other builds.

Ever played a left handed guitar? Not easy haha! However I believe I have given it a more than adequate test run.

Anyway here are the specs-

Louiscaster

Left handed

Set neck

25.5 scale length

Body wood- Norway maple

Neck and fingerboard wood- Flamed maple

Back plate wood- Walnut

Finish- Tru oil

Fretboard radius - 9.5

Graphite nut

Split post Wilkinson WJ55 Tuners

Pickup- Alnico 5 Hot Rail P45 from CHGuitars

Spoke wheel dual type truss rod

Jescar EVO gold Fretwire - Medium

Here it is!

IMG_9611.thumb.jpg.edb65db7d579dbeb59f75f1de515d9d0.jpg

1.thumb.JPG.cff2595e93ad6da52befe9a7a43dc42e.JPG2.thumb.JPG.94b60f9ddeb6698dd6d9926c12ef69f4.JPG3.thumb.JPG.7a0a513f64cfd715e6fe1fa50d8c95a9.JPG4.thumb.JPG.cbf455104731f52d49936e9d85693686.JPG5.thumb.JPG.18d978716c6d72003ddee28aba2b3d4b.JPG

IMG_9609.JPG

Edited by ShatnersBassoon
  • Like 4

An oldie I never entered in GOTM.

Jet Jons Jag.

Build here:

SPECS:

3 piece Alder body

Maple Neck, EIR Fretboard 34" scale Tele Headstock

Jag bass redesign by my self.

All cnc cut by me and finish work by hand.

Finish was done with lacquer and 2 k clear coat.

BadAss 2 bridge,

EMG active pickups w/ three volumes and one tone control

Hipshot tuners, 1 is a Drop D

Banjo Frets, ( He likes them crisp as he places his fingers on the actual fret, the harmonics on this are a beast)

Sorry I lost many pictures in a HD Crash, so this is the best I have at present, had to get the owner to get me some.. LOL!!! Pictures are of the owner John, One gigging in his Brian Adams Tribute band. This thing rocks. The first Bass I ever built. I let John finish sand the hand, arm and belly carve to suit him. He also wanted to spray the color.  LOL!! Now it is one of the new models I will be using.

john_jag.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Yep, I know where is the damn control cover? Jon lost it, so i have to make another one. LOL!!! 

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

• Like 2

This is "Alizè" by ShiverGuitar:

Body, Black Willow

Neck, Torrefied flame maple

Fingerboard, American Maple

Tailpiece, Mahogany Sapele covered with Bronze leaf

Hardware Gold

Machineheads, Kluson

Frets, Medium, Brass (Sintoms)

Pick ups, P94 Alnico II by Celentano Pickups (handmade in Italy).

www.shiverguitar.it

IMG_20190912_220702 copia.gif

IMG_20190912_220727 copia.gif

IMG_20190912_220736 copia.gif

IMG_20190912_220847 copia.gif

IMG_20190912_221124 copia.gif

IMG_20190912_221253_BURST003 copia.gif

IMG_20190912_221315.jpg

Hi Guys!
I Love this forum and I am very excited to present to you my first guitar.
I've been playing guitar occasionally for approx. 20 years now and did some minor repairs before.
I've been working on it for about 3 months.
Just have some final fret levelling to do in the future - did it twice already and it's getting better every time :)
The project is mine from start to finish and it was meant to be experimental.
At the start planed to use the standard headless bridge, but had some old broken guitar mashine heads begging to be reused.
I used my construction CNC in my workshop.
My background is mostly 3d construction in architecture/interior/furniture design.

Name: Hanar

Specs:
- maple body&neck
- black oak fingerboard
- DIMARZIO DP227BC LiquiFire (ZB, neck)
- DIMARZIO DP228FBC Crunch Lab F-Spaced (ZB, bridge)
- 3 position switch
- scale 25 1/2"
- 24 steel frets jumbo Sintoms
- profile "wide fat" C/D
- 42mm/57mm
- Finish- Tung oil
- Fretboard radius - 12

hanar1.thumb.JPG.990bd1dfd9a575a376bcf18acb61a61a.JPG

hanar2.thumb.JPG.58cfea04dbc7d18dc470b9af7df19b5e.JPGhanar3.thumb.JPG.7c7c60932299ff3cb56caa7f522580ed.JPGhanar4.thumb.JPG.b4e6913306a77283a99da203c97d2b46.JPG

hanar5.JPG.561560c5a3ee018088257a32db5580d2.JPGhanar6.JPG.1fb58fc704b6c0a015326f2e5aeca77e.JPGhanar7.JPG.ec9f149c7251a631c14027437748e1b7.JPG

• Like 1