Neck angle and bridge height

wicks_10

I've got my partscaster all built and everything seems well except I've realized I need to add a neck shim to change the angle. Currently, I can not lower my bridge or saddles anymore and I can't get the action I need. I'm planning on going with the Stew Mac angled shims but I'm not sure what angle to get. Is there anyway to easily figure how much a change in angle will allow my bridge to be raised? Also, since my holes are already drilled and changing the neck angle will bind the screws between the neck and body, should I plug the holes in the neck and redrilled it? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance.

To me it sounds like your neck pocket is too deep for that neck, so a flat shim might be all you need! Use washers for testing the various options.

The screw holes in the body can and have to be a little larger than the screw so I suppose there's no need to plug them. You'll find out when you get the shim in place - note that the shim has to have oversize holes as well!

Before you try to shim anything unscrew the neck to check that there's no tearout or lacquer drops around the screw holes! Also check that the holes in the body are wide enough for the screws to push through without turning them. Double checking those will at least give you a clean start and with some luck even fix the issue without shimming! And don't forget to check the straightness of the neck! Not to mention checking the height of the nut.

Thanks for the reply. I've already set the nut height as well as make sure the neck is straight and done the fretwork. I don't think any of that is the problem. On top of that, after the lacquer was sprayed on, I made sure the neck pocket was cleaned out so I'm good there as well. The neck pocket is 5/8 inch deep and the neck itself from the hill to the top of the fretboard as one inch. To me it looks like it has plenty of clearance from the top of the body to the overhang of the fretboard. It looks comparable to other strat guitars I have. With the saddles all the way down and the bridge all the way down, I would probably have to put a flat shim that is around two tenths of an inch thick to make the strings set where they should but that would still be with the bridge and saddles all the way down. I really think I need to put an angle on it but that's just what I'm thinking. I had a piece of pine and was able to cut hey 1.5 degree angle shim. I trimmed that up nicely and checked it in the guitar. I didn't screw anything together but it looks like that might be a little too much. Maybe something at 1 degree or 1.25 degree would be best. I can make sure the holes on the body are slightly bigger than the screws and also make sure the holes in the shim give proper clearance for the screws as well. Is there any reason not to use pine for a shim? If not, I feel like I can pretty accurately cut some. Not sure though where it is a softer wood. I can also post some pictures if that would help out at all. For what it's worth, the bridge is a two-post Gotoh TS510T bridge that I plan on floating. It doesn't set flush against the body like a traditional strat unless you recess the ferals for the post. I drilled them so they sit flush with the body. Not sure I can get them back out now but I don't think it will be a problem. 

As you suspect pine may be a tad too soft for a shim. It may both act as a damper and also shrink under pressure, making the neck loose.  Maple would be perfect.

For testing if it's about the angle, put washers only under two screws so the neck tilts. Washers are easy to measure!

Alright so I put a washer on the back two screws and that makes the angle just right. I measured those washers at 0.04 in. So from the front of the pocket to where the screws are (2.5 in), that makes it just about right at 1 degree. At least that's what it gave me when I put it into SketchUp. I'm assuming that is what I need to order then. Any words of advice before I do so?

3 minutes ago, wicks_10 said:

Any words of advice before I do so?

Why pay through your nose when you most likely have a scrap piece of hardwood to make one by yourself? You've already practiced so you know you can make one!

Another solution would be to reshape the heel but there's caveats in doing so. Getting the angle right and the bottom flat, not to mention you'd have to adjust the end as well to match the neck pocket - actually in theory you should do that using a shim as well but it may not be that much of an issue in the 5/8 inch deep pocket.

Great advise. I will see what I have for scrap hardwood laying around. That would be the easiest if I can find one that will work. I appreciate your help. I've changed a lot of parts over the years and guitars but I've never built one. It's been an interesting project but it's been fun. Already have plans for more... Can't say I have funds for more right now but one day. Thanks again.

• Like 1