Multi Voiced Guitar Build

• 2 weeks later...

PIMK9FrlrPT9WlMaGerRb1rAABwNb7oiorl8Zv-d

Somebody got played today! Still have some more details to finish (Knobs, rear cavity cover, fretwork, etc.) but she is better that I hoped for! Acoustic tones are great! Electric tones are solid too, just gotta tweak the amp settings to find her sweet spot! I play through a Helix with 3 signal chains. Acoustic, Electric, and a very wet ambient Electric. I can layer all 3 or any combination. To do it I use a stereo cable and separate the piezo signal from the magnetic pups. Acoustic gets processed independent from the mags. The magnetic signal goes through preamp section then is split into 2 signal chains for amp modeling. I use a torpedo cab in an fx loop for the main magnetic modeling and use the helix amp modeling for the wet ambience! 2 outputs to the soundboard. One for acoustic and one for electric. End result=beautiful! Easily the best guitar I have! I feel like a kid at Christmas.

• Like 2

very nice.  finish is stunning... gonna have to try an airbrush sometime. 

some nice detail there around the truss rod and the cover.  Totally disappears in your photo.  bravo.

have been considering a piezo bridge myself lately.  Would love to hear your demo.

In the helix you can add an ir from a full acoustic - have you tried that?  How is it?  Worth it?  I have axe fx 3 and have played with acoustic ir but it's just not satisfactory with no piezo.  Sounds great on my actual acoustic.

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

In the helix you can add an ir from a full acoustic - have you tried that?  How is it?  Worth it?  I have axe fx 3 and have played with acoustic ir but it's just not satisfactory with no piezo

I have used ag ir’s with my piezo equipped Strat and it sounds okay with the Baggs x bridge but this is a whole new level. I am not sure I will need the ir’s. I might blend one in. Combination of resonant hollow body and no metal chunk of a bridge makes a ton of difference. I am also using bronze acoustic strings which makes a huge difference in ag tone. I wouldn’t put money/effort in anything less that the hollow body, acoustic bridge, bronze string combo. The trade off is the electrics but the Tom Anderson pickups are amazing! They work with the bronze strings and sound great! 

• Like 2

She's hot! The proportions are just mouthwatering!

What I miss are images from the bottom before gluing the top on: Just how hollow is she? Is the top carved from the underside? Thickness of the sides? Etc.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Livinloud777 said:

I have used ag ir’s with my piezo equipped Strat and it sounds okay with the Baggs x bridge but this is a whole new level. I am not sure I will need the ir’s. I might blend one in. Combination of resonant hollow body and no metal chunk of a bridge makes a ton of difference. I am also using bronze acoustic strings which makes a huge difference in ag tone. I wouldn’t put money/effort in anything less that the hollow body, acoustic bridge, bronze string combo. The trade off is the electrics but the Tom Anderson pickups are amazing! They work with the bronze strings and sound great! 

acoustic bridge and semihollow... right on.  Did not realize the pickukps were acoustic flavor - interesting.  thanks for the answers.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mistermikev said:

Did not realize the pickukps were acoustic flavor - interesting.

The acoustic pickup is a fishman piezo under saddle run through the LRBaggs preamp. The mag pups are specially wound for the bronze strings. They still put out a good electric tone. Played with it today and got the electric tone dialed in!

Thanks, that really helped figuring out the level of hollowness. Something like that would be interesting after finishing my current build and redoing the previous ones.

55 minutes ago, Livinloud777 said:

Took a couple of minutes to throw this together. Sloppy but you can get the picture. I will probably put something better together next week.

Full Guitar Demo.wav 4.63 MB · 1 download

sounds quite nice even on work speakers.  good job.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Livinloud777 said:

Took a couple of minutes to throw this together. Sloppy but you can get the picture.

Wow! That could have been the intro for some Celtic fairy mythology movie, the sense of magic and storytelling was strongly present!

Edited by Bizman62
W-C
  • Haha 1