Rick 12 Sting Build

Woltz

Hi all,

I've been lurking in the background and marvelling at all of the builds that people are doing. 

I'm in the home stretch my first build which is this double f hole thinline t type.  Just needs sanding and finishing.

OGeOYpR.jpg

So I thought I'd start a thread here for my next build which is going to be a Rickenbacker 330/12 String but the neck width will be the same as the 660/12 neck.  I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on here.  

• Like 4

Here's an update on the few things I've done so far. 

As I couldn't find any plans floating around the internet I drew my own in Illustrator.  I've printed these and will start making templates in the next couple of weeks.

eeSvgAL.jpg

I was able to get a couple of replica toaster covers off eBay.  

iS67rnv.jpg

I picked up one of the Allparts Rick Style Bridges which I'll make new aluminium saddles for to suit the 12 string.

Ar1iy9r.jpg

I sourced some Alnico 2 1/4" Rod Magnets for the pickups.

7J9mA9J.jpg

And I drew the toaster bobbin parts in Illustrator as well.

a0ETVVX.jpg

Fortunately I actually know a guy with a 3D printer, so I drew the bobbin parts in Fusion 360 and sent him the file for him to do a test print.

Lmio1nk.jpg

NT9AZnV.jpg

I need to make some adjustments and then we will print another test bobbin.

I'm only just getting into pickup winding and recently put together a budget pickup winder.

UQ26A2X.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough I bought plans from Australia Luthier Supplies about 5 years ago but they do not sell them any more.  It looks like you have a good handle on them though.  I was just looking for them and can't find them.  I made my own though.  I've built 3 or so of the old 360 model.  One 6 string and a couple of 12s.  Here are some drawings I did for the 360 Rose Morris.

Capture.JPG.a92a06de10c7d0766aa4161668013971.JPG

I was building this for an Engineer in California so I did a lot of CAD drawings to show him exactly what was going on.  I still have a neck that I will be using for a 12 string 660.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by pshupe

• 3 months later...

So I finished up the other part of the tailpiece.

m6nW7qo.jpg

nb4JzTb.jpg

gnZq5Oc.jpg

bpuPSlA.jpg

Having now made the two parts I know that they are looking ok and I'll mock everything up again when I make the working templates out of thicker MDF.  

I'll probably remake them both for the actual guitar as there are a couple of errors.  I put too small of a radius on the curve of the retaining bracket which means the harp is not moving freely enough when the two pieces are together and I had a few holes that wandered a bit from centre when they were drilled (that'll teach me for being lazy and not using a centre punch before drilling).

• Like 3

On 3/25/2020 at 3:34 AM, ScottR said:

Nice!

Good to see you again.

SR

Thanks mate.  I hope to really get stuck into this build and my other build which is a Strat that I'm doing with all Australian timbers.  And I still need to paint the Tele.  Not enough hours in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Two toaster bobbins wound, hookup wires soldered and wax potted.

bnAFdWs.jpg

I've started making the baseplate for the pickup cover but when I put the pickup together I'll need to put a little bit of foam or something inside to keep the bobbin from moving around.

Love everything about this build. The Rick and those multi-tiered pick guards has always fascinated me, What will you do to the tailpiece and toasters for finishing?

15 hours ago, komodo said:

Love everything about this build. The Rick and those multi-tiered pick guards has always fascinated me, What will you do to the tailpiece and toasters for finishing?

Do you mean how will I finish the Aluminium?

For the tailpiece I'll probably just polish it.  The toaster covers I bought are chrome so no finishing required.  The baseplates I'll sand smooth as you can see in the photos above, I won't bother polishing them because they'll never be seen.

Awesome!  The pickup build is perfect. I didn't realize the covers where chromed in the earlier pics.

What other pickups are you thinking of building?

12 hours ago, komodo said:

Awesome!  The pickup build is perfect. I didn't realize the covers where chromed in the earlier pics.

What other pickups are you thinking of building?

The first one I did was a rewind of a Tele Neck Pickup that was DOA but I'd had it laying around for so long it was too much hassle to return and it was good practice

I've done these two for this build obviously. 

Next I have 3 strat pickups to wind for my strat build that I'm doing alongside this build.

After that I have a number of guitars I'd like to build with humbuckers (BC Rich Eagle, a Fender Starcaster and a PRS) and I'd also like to do a Malcolm Young Gretsch which has a Filtertron.  So potentially I may wind the pickups for all of those.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, komodo said:

Ooooh I've been eyeing that exact Gretsch recently as inspiration for a build based on some P90s I have. Such a kickass guitar.

Any guitars that I can't find plans for, like doing this partially modified Rick, I just draw up the plans and I've actually been drawing up a plan in Illustrator for the Malcolm Young Gretsch. 

I've already drawn the BC Rich Eagle plan.

ajFAHCF.jpg

I have plans for the Starcaster and PRS already that I found online.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to your process, esp since it looks your are very proficient in Illustrator. I'm a graphic designer by day and use the full Adobe suite, so using Illustrator is the easiest tool at hand. Usually I'll start with source images I've found, as straight on angle as possible. I'll set up a fretboard using Fretfind, then put the vector into Illustrator. Also, I'll try to get as many measurements as possible. Then, it's just a matter of doing the contours and scaling everything to match the image, and lots of tweaking.

Here's a good resource: https://www.electricherald.com/guitar-templates/

14 hours ago, komodo said:

I'm curious as to your process, esp since it looks your are very proficient in Illustrator. I'm a graphic designer by day and use the full Adobe suite, so using Illustrator is the easiest tool at hand. Usually I'll start with source images I've found, as straight on angle as possible. I'll set up a fretboard using Fretfind, then put the vector into Illustrator. Also, I'll try to get as many measurements as possible. Then, it's just a matter of doing the contours and scaling everything to match the image, and lots of tweaking.

Here's a good resource: https://www.electricherald.com/guitar-templates/

I do mine exactly the same way.  I haven't come across a better method that is affordable.

Had a small amount of free time last night and my electronics had arrived in the last couple days so thought I'd do the wiring harness.

Here is my drawing based off different diagrams and images around the internet.

5zUe5Hv.jpg

And a few photos of it all done.

bFKZzyR.jpg

L0qGp0E.jpg

I36k8OT.jpg

Pickup wired in to test everything by holding the pickup up to the strings of one of my other guitars.

S1WYl4x.jpg

• Like 2