Ideas for Frankenstrat

TarterTurtle

Hi all, Recently a old ash tree fell down in my back yard so I decided to make a guitar out of it, I knew that ash isn't used as often for guitars and not very many people played ash because of its wait, and then I stumbled upon the Frankenstrat. I like the idea of the guitar, but I don't have any idea how to make it look like the real thing, I couldn't find any router templates either, so I think I am going to have to make one myself, but I have no idea how, I also need to know how it is wired, Thanks all

Guess any strat template would do. If you want to make one, get some drawings in real size and glue them on mdf or plywood. Even a full size photo will do for making a template. For the neck joint you can make a makeshift template using slats.

• 4 weeks later...

there are plenty of strat plans out there... google for electric and herald and strat template and you'll find plenty.  I haven't seen too many templates for the studs but I'm not sure I'd trust that to a drawing... printers tend to have a little distortion (at least mine does) and being even a little off on that could mean binding.  For me... once I have a neck on a guitar I'd use the sides of the neck and a long straight edge to draw lines down the body, then find the center, then draw out the studs from there.  I'd measure and re-measure it several time, then make pin hole marks for them, then use a brad point bit.  Not saying it's the best plan but works for me. 

Welcome, good luck, and look fwd to seeing what you do and helping if I can.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar idea to do a frankenstrat but didn’t really want a relic so I made this instead, not sure if it appeals to you?

E4CC49D6-3D5A-43DA-8B9A-43998C1299C4.thumb.jpeg.f7ad5e5788552983b9e3d4df849614b0.jpeg

Ignore the Kramer logo, if I was to do over i wouldn’t add that again.  I used a Kramer scale drawing I found online for free, printed out tiled on A4 paper and joined up the lines.   This got my outline templates but I positioned the Neck and bridge By following something similar to what mike has suggested.  

whther you do as I’ve done or go Frankenstrat, the wiring is the same.  Very basic as only one pickup to wire up and a jack.  As great as the guitar is, I am considering adding a second pickup as I find the guitar very one dimensional with only 1 in it

• Like 1