ok so black on black with black polka dots... how?

so have been working on templates for my next build series and will be opening up a new build thread for it soon.  Still working out some details.  One of the builds is going to be all black.  Was planning an ash top for that one.  Just plain black would be too boring... but don't want high contrast either... and haven't settled on an idea yet. 

for example - all black:

setius_gothic_7_gothic_black_04.jpg

and black w white:

dtue0cbtpsk5upwkbvh0.jpg

was thinking I might try to do what I see here with the black and white but go satin black vs flat black.  Maybe just mix in a little blue with the grain black?  Or perhaps some black mixed with silver.  Something that would make the grain stand out a bit more than all black above... but not THIS high contrast(black and white).  since it's going to have pearloid binding and such... perhaps melt some binding and mash it into the grain?  might be a bit much there. 

so, tell me what you know about achieving this effect, and perhaps some ideas for "black on black"... if you don't mind.

The upper one sure looks stylish with the grain breaking the light differently to the satin sheen.

I agree with you that the white grain - albeit being stunning and most likely would sell well to a certain clientele - is a bit too "graphic" instead of organic.

How about some black pearl powder in the grain filler? And black pearloid for binding and black chrome for hardware?

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

The upper one sure looks stylish with the grain breaking the light differently to the satin sheen.

I agree with you that the white grain - albeit being stunning and most likely would sell well to a certain clientele - is a bit too "graphic" instead of organic.

How about some black pearl powder in the grain filler? And black pearloid for binding and black chrome for hardware?

black pearl - good call.   that's def a winner idea.  afa hardware/pearl - kind of commited as already bought.  Really wanted to try the trem king and they don't offer it in black chrome.  Still wondering how one cleans that filler off the other parts tho... I suppose just light sanding.

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

Still wondering how one cleans that filler off the other parts tho... I suppose just light sanding.

Supposedly exactly that. I've seen a natural ash top with ebony dust filling and if memory serves me right all it required was "some" elbow grease. Notice that the ebony dust would fill each and every minor gap in the blonde wood! Black on black should be much more forgiving.

Basically yes. At first I was going to say that the order doesn't matter but:

If you put dye on before filling, there'll be a dark base even in the deepest figuration which is good in case the filler is transparent at some places.

If you put dye on after filling, it may not stick to spots where there's even the faintest amount of the filler or rather the epoxy/lacquer/glue which makes it liquid. There's a pro as well as the dye won't affect the pearloid filler.

I'd say you'll have to do the dying twice! First a uniform dark base, then the filler and after sanding the surface flush the final stain to cover all the spots you have sanded pale.

Guess this or similar is what you'd need: https://www.blackdiamondpigments.com/collections/diamond-series/products/black-diamond-42g-1-5oz

• Like 1

So flake is out of question. Actually it was the pearls that popped into my mind during the day. Something like this: https://www.paintwithpearl.com/wp-content/uploads/Starry-NIght-chameleon-over-black.png

Or this: https://www.paintwithpearl.com/shop/custom-paint-colors/blues/violet-blue-ghost-pearls/

Or this, which basically has the black pearloid hues:  https://paintpearls.com/shop/colorshift-pearls/cyan-red-green-chameleon-paint-pearl/

The last one might be closest to what I was after...

Edited by Bizman62