Three teles... Tuxedo is close...

Wow indeed! The golden rose and other glittery details match perfectly with that red mahogany. For some reason it makes me think of East-Indian furniture full of pearl and ivory inlays, yellow metal and fancy tight curves - something that a colonial patron would bring to his homeland to show his wealth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Wow!

Salvador Dali in the gilded age. Very impressive. I imagine the scrolls/mustaches were fun to bind.

SR

Idk how you get there from here... but I am a huge fan.  when I was in high school I did some melting clock drawings... I should see if I still have them.  the binding... "I don't want to talk about it"... it's too painfull!  yes that was hard and only 1 piece so had to be really patient... but not too patient!

49 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Wow indeed! The golden rose and other glittery details match perfectly with that red mahogany. For some reason it makes me think of East-Indian furniture full of pearl and ivory inlays, yellow metal and fancy tight curves - something that a colonial patron would bring to his homeland to show his wealth.

thank you for the kind words biz.  btw... you are 62 then?  based on your crimson profile?  I have cracked the code!

doing that gold might have been easier to inlay.  took about 7 million tries.  it's all 'checked' if you look at it close which is a happy accident.  it's def a bit over the top... and is going to be even more against evo gold frets and all gold hardware... pretty sure someone here is hating this more than any guitar before (who was that again who hates gold?  maybe a few)

8 minutes ago, mistermikev said:
1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Idk how you get there from here... but I am a huge fan.

Har- your scrolls reminded me of his mustaches! Your headstock does not remind me of his work--it is much too rigid--a very good thing in a headstock!

SR

5 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Har- your scrolls reminded me of his mustaches! Your headstock does not remind me of his work--it is much too rigid--a very good thing in a headstock!

SR

ok, yup... def see that... and now that I think about it there is sort of a 'clock' thing happening with the logo.  but yes... no melting going on at all!  there is some realism he does too tho... pretty amazing.  the skull/girls... ship/bridges... def a fav of mine!

untitled-for-the-campaign-against-venere

18a6b986a220300d9c91af89a596f787.jpg

idk where I was going with that... but I love to look at his stuff

• Like 1

Yeah, I have always been a fan of that type of art as well. Surrealism or surrealistic super realism.

Growing up I always wanted to be an album cover artist, or cover artist for fantasy genre paperbacks.

Turns out there were only about 8 guys doing that.

Okay that may be an  exaggeration, but it was going to be a tough field to get into.

SR

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

btw... you are 62 then?  based on your crimson profile?  I have cracked the code!

I've been using the '62 version for quite a while since the one without numbers has been taken by someone else. The profiles without the year of birth have been with me for about two decades already. Actually, I even have pretty close friends who call me Biz!

Out of curiosity I logged in to the Crimson Forum. Boy was it slow to load! What puzzled me was that despite the forum being driven down there was new messages! The new members didn't surprise me since every new customer automatically becomes a forum member as well.

6 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I've been using the '62 version for quite a while since the one without numbers has been taken by someone else. The profiles without the year of birth have been with me for about two decades already. Actually, I even have pretty close friends who call me Biz!

Out of curiosity I logged in to the Crimson Forum. Boy was it slow to load! What puzzled me was that despite the forum being driven down there was new messages! The new members didn't surprise me since every new customer automatically becomes a forum member as well.

so that would make you (carry the 1, divide by 13... add 6) 12?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Yeah, I have always been a fan of that type of art as well. Surrealism or surrealistic super realism.

Growing up I always wanted to be an album cover artist, or cover artist for fantasy genre paperbacks.

Turns out there were only about 8 guys doing that.

Okay that may be an  exaggeration, but it was going to be a tough field to get into.

SR

right on.  8 guys... so there wasn't much competition then... hehe.  I think I see that art lust in your builds.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

May I be the first :)  

A very well deserved win :rock

(And may I remind you of rule number 2367(b) in the constitution which states - if I remember correctly - "that no member shall win GOTM more times than Andyjr1515 without immediately following the latest win with a build that is unplayable and looks like dog's doo doos"

At least that's what I think it says :)   )

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

A very well deserved win 

I can only second that! It goes to show style never goes out of fashion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

May I be the first :)  

A very well deserved win :rock

(And may I remind you of rule number 2367(b) in the constitution which states - if I remember correctly - "that no member shall win GOTM more times than Andyjr1515 without immediately following the latest win with a build that is unplayable and looks like dog's doo doos"

At least that's what I think it says :)   )

hehe, thank you sir.  I'll get started on that doo doo build straight away!  If I haven't said it enough... thank you for all your encouragement.  Many things I've learned from you and other members of this community and I hope I show enough appreciation. 

also, shout out to @ShatnersBassoon - all the builds were very nice this month but his stood out to me as something very special and I would have been proud to loose to it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Congrats on your GOTM win Mike, another great looking axe 

thank you sir.  beginners luck I 'spose.

8 minutes ago, komodo said:

Congrats, and awesome video you made also!

thank you for saying so komodo.  ☺️

hasn't been wet sanded yet... and I may have to repair a few scratches I did while scraping the binding... but we're getting there. 

DSCN4214.thumb.JPG.7927eb4b5cd0a26aea90021c6a319307.JPG

funny how in the below two pictures... the burst is barely visible in one and invisible in the other.  It's a very light burst but not as light as these pics would have you believe.

DSCN4250.thumb.JPG.97e5249522194654154885548eba2775.JPGDSCN4249.thumb.JPG.6e637c9b3cbc35cb15cb2b4910370ed4.JPG

and in this one the burst looks kinda dark... this grain really played with my head because when you look at it from certain angles the edge grain of the carve top makes the finish look the sm hue as the bursted areas.

DSCN4254.thumb.JPG.c4d397dd5ad05c10aba3ff6d3deac5ea.JPG

any suggestion afa fixing scratches?  I'm not sure how deep they are and I'm not sure I want to find out after wet sanding.  given it's lacquer and I haven't wet sanded yet... I was thinking of taking a paintbrush and acetone to them to try to melt them down a little before I sand.  I could paint in a little lacquer too... how would you do it?  I've only got about 4 coats of lacquer over the burst so...