Three teles... Tuxedo is close...

Just now, ScottR said:

I would paint them with lacquer and leave it proud for a week. Then spray a few more coats and level,.....after curing for a few weeks.

And yes, transparent bursts are hard to capture. The camera sees right through them.

SR

thank you sir.  I figure now is the time since I just got the last coat on saturday so... if I'm going to do something it'd be idea now as either way she'll sit for 3-4wks.

yes... that burst just dissapears!  it'll probably be worse one it is wet sanded too so... probably should have gone darker knowing that.. but I almost stopped earlier cause I wanted it very light.  live and learn.  you can def see it in person anyway!

• 1 month later...

the neverending pro..o...ject.  who-o-a wo-o-a wo-o-a... the neverending pro-o-ject...

so got my face all sorted... but in the process uglied up my back... so... more nitro... anywho... just wanted to complain.

DSCN4366.thumb.JPG.dc9302632575d07eb6ce234de9e7dd09.JPG

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mistermikev said:

so got my face all sorted... but in the process uglied up my back... so... more nitro... anywho... just wanted to complain.

:D

I always do that, particularly in the process of wiring and attaching hardware. It teaches one humility, tolerance.....and new swear words.

The front looks great!

SR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScottR said:

:D

I always do that, particularly in the process of wiring and attaching hardware. It teaches one humility, tolerance.....and new swear words.

The front looks great!

SR

sort of feels like whack a mole right now!

I have certainly been humiliated by a finish job occasionally!

afa electronics... I used to have that problem all the time.  specifically installing, finding an issue, then working in the guitar with a soldering iron I would always burn the pickguard or the finish or end up scratching something with a wire.  I took matters into my own hands and try to get as much wireup as possible done outside the guitar... and even test it b4 install... so not impossible but certainly limited now.

So... this is where I started...

LesFlaws.thumb.jpg.50e73a3f1f566fb721468ee5c71b4f55.jpg

lucky build #7 DONE!

originally had planned to do more of a tobacco burst but with the quilt maple back I changed my mind to red... and that just wouldn't look right so saving that for next time!

thank you again to the forum here for your encouragement, advise, console and responses to this thread!  Was a heck of a journey for me and I appreciate y'all being there!

here is where I ended up:

7_DSCN4582_AA.thumb.JPG.bf775b99629bcf89062c42843a107b7d.JPG

6_DSCN4678_AA.thumb.JPG.a4bcd652806b5583be3a45bb9f102b89.JPG

5_DSCN4700_A.thumb.JPG.d452e9c2f5c205cb158239bea8c3a229.JPG

4_DSCN4632_AA.thumb.JPG.0a55a584c5139ae1b6acbc561b90edc0.JPG

3_DSCN4615_A.thumb.JPG.6b0457fb8c78a88e025bcbe6a185f75d.JPG

2_DSCN4649_AA.thumb.JPG.f2c9eea6edbda8496b8e7d40af8017aa.JPG

1_DSCN4635_A.thumb.JPG.c1643578c283f39d46f67b40e3bdc4a1.JPG

DSCN4680_A.thumb.JPG.bd5e1cd816c40d848fc34f045d9868ae.JPG

DSCN4656_A.thumb.JPG.b20de39dbb6be7d7c36e11b0ba7c411c.JPG

DSCN4640_A.thumb.JPG.2e1bd8ffbc72af2f13547922a0292186.JPG

DSCN4638_A.thumb.JPG.387a11ad69724a82606f1709f35876bc.JPG

DSCN4633_A.thumb.JPG.aee92f730feb1740976a4b6ca49194d5.JPG

DSCN4621_A.thumb.JPG.4bb6446e417efc2c3a4e51829f5bd47c.JPG

DSCN4547_A.thumb.JPG.956ca7006e2395d6ca77e4b33863a556.JPG

11_DSCN4570_A.thumb.JPG.d1f936f919032f3c2717fca899533e04.JPG

10_DSCN4674_A.thumb.JPG.ba49f22b96132a9390985c2be559758e.JPG

9_DSCN4642_A.thumb.JPG.4710ca9b73a61f0505e6891c7a12056a.JPG

8_DSCN4673_A.thumb.JPG.bfe9d841721d3fbcb6a11981705eb829.JPG

and the wiring... is fantastic...

4p4tHumbuckerCombos_v1.1_Complete.thumb.png.8ec4e0262e58118f75d3f5d1c1bad2b2.png

2Humbucker_4P4T_2Vol_3wayTog_v1.7.thumb.png.fb39de3cb12d401b2777f8bea394ee39.png

2V3X_5H0_NOCRACKLE_PUSH_PULL_V1.1.thumb.png.5ef451dfc347d1e4c2e8575ea8399903.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Nice.

That is an A-1, really very no doubt, absolute killer of an unequivocal no shit stunner, Mike.

Some one is bound to tell you wasted some nice quilt on the back. I personally believe the back deserves to be almost as beautiful as the front.

Very well done sir!

SR

well... that is easily the best comment I have ever received on a build and given the source, well it means a lot to me so thank you. 

afa quilt... fortunately for me I had no choice - I bought the body off of craigslist cut to shape and "pre-semi-hollowed".  I might have been tempted otherwise!  I should have smoothed the body out a bit more because comparing it to the tuxedo (for instance) the lines aren't quite as 'flow-y'.  all that said... I love looking at the back a bit more than the front... it just speaks to me!

thank you again for the kind encouragement.  you and man here are fantastic muses (is that the pural of muse?)!

• Like 1

Time for a beer yet?

Great stuff Mike, that last one really came together, I bet Page would be drooling over it!

1) are you running out of space yet?

2) which one of the three do you play more?

1 hour ago, komodo said:

Time for a beer yet?

Great stuff Mike, that last one really came together, I bet Page would be drooling over it!

1) are you running out of space yet?

2) which one of the three do you play more?

Hehe, def beer thirty!  Thank you for the kind remarks, means the world.  Afa space... more like running out of production gtrs to sell!  Total qty has stayed constant.  I play them all but this is my only baritone so its going to get favored a lot for a while!  Anyway, ty so much 4 the reply.

5 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That is an outstandingly good build, Mike.  So many features that catch my eye.  And I love that back!

Thank you Andy!  Couldn't have done it without stealing ideas from great builders like yourself!  Yes... the back makes me wonder if I should have done the front in all red... but there will be more guitars to try that on!!  thank you again.

• Like 1

The beginning was sort of hilarious seeing you playing a lefty wearing that droF cap and the evil zag t-shirt with the llahrsam stack in the background...

What caused the background noise when you talked? That and both your lips and fingers being out of synch with the audio was a bit clumsier than what I've learned to expect from you. With eyes closed listening to sound of the guitar was a pleasure, though, and that's what counts.

I very much liked you playing your own music! The last one was my favourite, although at the beginning I thought you were improvising an intro to some well known tune like Ghost Rawhide... Also I liked how you repeated the same riff through all the options. That really revealed the differences between them and the versatility of the entire instrument. All in all once again you've showed me how little I know about electric guitars!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

The beginning was sort of hilarious seeing you playing a lefty wearing that droF cap and the evil zag t-shirt with the llahrsam stack in the background...

What caused the background noise when you talked? That and both your lips and fingers being out of synch with the audio was a bit clumsier than what I've learned to expect from you. With eyes closed listening to sound of the guitar was a pleasure, though, and that's what counts.

I very much liked you playing your own music! The last one was my favourite, although at the beginning I thought you were improvising an intro to some well known tune like Ghost Rawhide... Also I liked how you repeated the same riff through all the options. That really revealed the differences between them and the versatility of the entire instrument. All in all once again you've showed me how little I know about electric guitars!

wow , biz... you are too kind.  Always there to make me laugh and humble me when I need it.  drof -laughing out loud here!  yeah, my phone flips the script when you use the selfie camera and I flipped it in my editor twice but somehow in the end it would end up back to rev so... eh. 

the background noise... well... unfortunately I engaged the auto-gain on my mic channel and didn't realize it was recording such a weak signal.  Had planned to get a better voice this time cause I actually was using a room mic... but operator error got the best of me.  so when I cranked it up so you could actually hear it... well I cranked up the noise too!  Still workin' out the bugs over here!  need a boom mic hanging from ceiling!

ghost rawhide... I think that would have been a good name... you are combining rawhide with ghost riders in the sky but yeah... def in that vein!  I watched a number of clint eastwood movies last weekend - fistful of dollars, the good the bad and the ugly, few more dollars... and afterwards that song is what happened!

I very much appreciate the valuable insight on the 'repeating the riff'.  I totally did that by happenstance but when I watched it back I too thought "well that worked well". 

tracking - gawd I hate that part.  going in with several videos in sev dif formats/frames - it is so hard to get them all aligned perfect... then I do and make some edit and don't realize I just took it out of alignment.  Have a lot to learn about video editing!!

thank you again sir!

Just now, ScottR said:

I see your new monitors in the background and they sound great.

In fact I need to send you all my guitars so you can make them sound great too.

njk

You would probably find my wiring boring though.......

SR

Thank you for the reply sir!  (you are always there with a response and I very much am thankful... I need to be more like you in that)

hehe, they are super clean... but you actually aren't hearing them when the guitar plays because I recorded the guitar part direct and am only turning the mic up when I talk so... "nana nana boo boo".  afa sounding good... well... gonna have to give the credit to my gear... axefx does all the work!

one of these days I'm going to do a les paul style guitar and just do the classic wireup... but then I'll focus on making it look pretty!

afa baritone... you know my last baritone was ok but I really didn't like it because it felt like it was really hard to play 'high up'.  meaning it just didn't sound right for solo stuff even when I played high.  I would chalk that up to the 29 scale length... there IS such a thing as 'too long' IMO.  27.5 suits me just perfect.  you can get low... but it feels like you can get high too.  anyway... just my two cents on that for when you do one.  I LOVE this thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Based on the polls now being closed, may I be the first :)    A very well deserved trouncing :rock

(and no - I'm not talking about the US elections.  GOTM is much more important)

you sir are an amazing builder - and I would be proud to loose to you.  your congrats mean a lot to me - thank you so much.  election - hehe.  I'm backing away slowly from any such comments!!  In both situations... we all win because we have awesome guitars, and because we have an awesome country!

• Like 1