for those that have experience doing a fender butterscotch blonde... please school me!

mistermikev

here a few shots of what I'd like:

102f7dc06e047875d5530d2fab8752ba.jpg

52_tele_1.jpg

no spraygun here.  Was thinking of mohawk blonde, or perhaps reranch butterscotch blonde... but am not confident those will deliver this very opaque and less yellow variation on butterscotch blonde.  What would you go with?  Any good threads on getting this finish (I've seen a few, but nothing that has really clicked w me).

• 4 weeks later...

thank you, would love to see that.  I've since come across a bunch of info at tdpri that I'll use... will share in case anyone ever needs it.  There are many broadcaster/nocaster afficianados that recommend to grain fill with tan die mixed in, then clear 2x, then trans white 2-3x then blonde 3x for the body - all light coats.  the neck they say originally was just lacquer so the amber color is really just aging of the laquer.  I think I'll probably use some tru oild with a dilluted stew mac amber dye on it prior, then just think clear coat of nitro and sit it near 5k light for a while - but perhaps that will change if I see the video you mention.

funny, he's using stew mac color tone and tru oil (I mentioned both of these in my response).  In my case, I'm going to try to relic the neck so I need some of that amber to come from the nitro clear so that when I relic it off the neck won't remain too amber.  Might have to get a preval kit and add amber to the lacquer - that'd probably be the best bet.  I have used a heavy coat of that stew mac amber on another guitar I refinished and it does nail that look w/o any lacquer.

does look great - I appreciate you sharing.  tru oil is just amazing stuff!

genius idea putting the tru oil rag in a zip lock back... tacking that with me.

he did a nice job enhancing the grain the the mahog.  some tips I can take for my les flaws there for sure.

cheers and thanks again.

Mike

Although this guy is a UK supplier , probably the best, and is therefore using his own products, he is also one of the best at doing it.

This is his full rundown of doing a butterscotch blonde.

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2011/08/05/finishing-an-ash-telecaster-in-butterscotch/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Mike

Although this guy is a UK supplier , probably the best, and is therefore using his own products, he is also one of the best at doing it.

This is his full rundown of doing a butterscotch blonde.

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2011/08/05/finishing-an-ash-telecaster-in-butterscotch/

wow, good find.  he really goes into detail there.  that will be a great reference.  thank you for the tip!  I see he also sells aerosol - sweet.

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

wow, good find.  he really goes into detail there.  that will be a great reference.  thank you for the tip!  I see he also sells aerosol - sweet.

Yes - his aerosols are excellent, and particularly for some of the classic colours.  It is often the tinted clear coats over the base that make the difference.  Great aerosol heads too - like chalk and cheese difference to standard heads.  Worth looking through his blog - he has some cracking finishes that he demo's to the same level of detail.

I suspect, though - like me trying to get aerosols and paints from US - that he probably doesn't ship to US due to the cost and complication of dealing with the air-safety regs.  Even for overland inside the UK itself, these things are classed as 'special shipment - hazardous materials' with only specific couriers authorised and all sorts of special packaging and labelling required.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - his aerosols are excellent, and particularly for some of the classic colours.  It is often the tinted clear coats over the base that make the difference.  Great aerosol heads too - like chalk and cheese difference to standard heads.  Worth looking through his blog - he has some cracking finishes that he demo's to the same level of detail.

I suspect, though - like me trying to get aerosols and paints from US - that he probably doesn't ship to US due to the cost and complication of dealing with the air-safety regs.  Even for overland inside the UK itself, these things are classed as 'special shipment - hazardous materials' with only specific couriers authorised and all sorts of special packaging and labelling required.

right on, have bookmarked that one as a good resource.  Bummer re getting the aerosols, but that's ok.  Still lots of good info there and I'm able to get mohawk and reranch here so... should get me to the church on time.  thank you again for sharing a great resource.

2 hours ago, norm barrows said:

be sure to post a postmortem report of your results of the finishing project.

what worked,   what didn't.    what stains  you used  (manufacturer and color), in what ratios, order of application, number of coats, etc.

inquiring minds may want to make a blonde or yellow guitar someday.

norm have you looked at any of my build threads?  If anything, I put in way more info than anyone wants to see, so "I'm on it"!  hehe

I don't do much for videos of me working... altho I did do one recently of a top join... just too much of a distraction while working.  I've got quite a few videos on youtube of me demoing ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCktim1mj88l9JAwQy4KB4eg  ) ... but anyway my point was just that I do document things fairly well with pictures/explanations, and this paint process will be there should you desire to see it.

afa a shop... might check your neighborhood for a local highschool or univ that does woodworking courses just to gain access to a spot.  I know in AZ it's becoming more popular to have a communal woodshop in various gated communities.  There's quite a few fellows here who seem to have those sort of hookups so maybe they'll chime in.