First timer. Carbon Fiber 6 String W.I.P.

Hi. New guy here. I'm so happy to join a talented bunch of artists working on killer projects! I hope to learn and share all I can.

As my first project, I've jumped in with both feet as inspiration hit me like a sloppy spaghetti noodle.  Carbon fiber guitars aren't super new but given my lack of woodworking tools/skills I thought I'd start there.  After exhaustive research on here and many other sources here is what I've come up with, so far.

I'll update often and critique/friendly advice is encouraged.

Cheers!

Front full 

Back (this is a bit older. A leg scallop has been carved in. I'll update a newer pic later)

Arm relief (added rear scallop for design interest)

Material concept proof (an idea of parts color choice on cured carbon twill weave)

Materials/parts mock fitting (playing with a couple of carbon weaves to break up monotonous twill pattern)

That reminds me. I need to buy a chainsaw someday.

Been doing some thinking on design for the molds. Latest thought is to design a 3d printed neck and flange.  I think a bolt-together 4-piece would be quite handy.  Digital design and printing will get me closer to a precision form. I can also try out different neck and fingerboard profiles 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ThreeDprof said:

Making progress on the plug

Front

Back

Headstock

Added:

*Rear "comfort" contour

*Headstock refinement

*Hipshot tuners

looks like it's getting refined - nice work.  the headstock looks a bit salvador dali (not being critical -I think it looks cool).  looking fwd to seeing how the actual process goes.  I would like to suggest that you don't post pics on photobucket as they have a long history of all of the sudden deleting your entire album (ask me how I know).  You can upload stuff to projgtr and it's very user friendly, but at the least, instead of making links... just enter the url in text and hit enter right after it... it will show the pic instead of having to click a link and go there.  Maybe it's just me but I prefer not to click on links.  Looking forward to your progress.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mistermikev said:

You can upload stuff to projgtr

Absolutely. There has been a lot of effort put into the site to ensure that images don't disappear from threads, on the vagaries of image hosting providers. Uploading to the site means your photos will be preserved and makes it a lot easier to follow your thread. I'm not a link-clicking fan either :)

Welcome to the site btw

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 5:57 AM, mistermikev said:

looks like it's getting refined - nice work.  the headstock looks a bit salvador dali (not being critical -I think it looks cool).  looking fwd to seeing how the actual process goes.  I would like to suggest that you don't post pics on photobucket as they have a long history of all of the sudden deleting your entire album (ask me how I know).  You can upload stuff to projgtr and it's very user friendly, but at the least, instead of making links... just enter the url in text and hit enter right after it... it will show the pic instead of having to click a link and go there.  Maybe it's just me but I prefer not to click on links.  Looking forward to your progress.

I would upload the pics here but the galaxy s10e doesn't make the pic resolution small enough :(

love the Salvador reference!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThreeDprof said:

I would upload the pics here but the galaxy s10e doesn't make the pic resolution small enough

It will be because the S10 natively takes pictures in the HEIC format, which is incompatible with the forum software.

You can either change your phone settings to disable HEIC image saves and upload directly to the forum, or copy the image from Dropbox once you've uploaded it and paste it into your post. Dropbox seems to automatically covert the image to a JPG so that the rest of the world can view it when they visit the link, but doesn't appear to provide you with a link to embed it into a post, so you have to do it manually:

Capture 1.png

Capture 2.png

Tadaaa:

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

• Like 1