4 New Modification Tutorials

Brian

lm386 1k pot 22uf capacitor 9v batterie batterie snap small speaker suited to your gutiar cavity.. nesecarry tools to carryout soldering and snipping as well as aprox 18" of hookup wire..

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the sustainer schematic:

How is the piezo supposed to affect vibration of the strings from underneath the pickup? Maybe I'm missing something, but piezos don't produce any magnetic field (if I remember correctly) and I seriously doubt that it would be loud enough to provide feedback via sound, especially from under the pickup.

Enlighten me!

i had really sensitive pickups on the piezo equiped one.. and yes you can use the piezo speakers with the drive from a 386 on max setting to get it to feedback.. it depends on a few factors one of them in the fact is how microphonic the pickups are.. if it doens't work with the piezeo then you may have to use a samll speaker.. this isnt' an exaxc science. more of an expirament. i konw what works for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool!!!

I think I might try that sustainer some day. KeithB asked a good question about how it forces the strings to vibrate. I think Ansil answered it but just to be sure - this system does not appear to attempt to vibrate the strings - just a feedback mechanism that only affects the signal (Ansil, correct me if I'm wrong).

I think it's a great idea and I'm looking forward to playing around with it. I always wanted a sustainiac but my wife would freak if she heard I spent $300 on a guitar gadget. This is definitely in my price range.

For those who want to know more about the types of sustain systems - here's a site with a good description (although it is quite biased since it is sustainiac's site) sustain types. I know they are pushing their own system but I think the descriptions are fair/accurate.

For those of us who can't afford a $200 to $300 sustainer, Ansil's seems to be a great option.

yep you are right.. of coure there ar other opitons too. you can take a pickup and rewind it with a larger wire. and put a permanent magnet under it. and use the 386 or a high gain transistor as a current amplifier and make an electomagnetic driver this will eat batts pretty quick though.

yeah my design never made the strings vibrate just affects the sginall..

i have found that you could yell into the pickups and it would come out. there..

thats wehre the origian lidea came from

of coruse if you want semi easy controlled feedback use a smaller amp close to you and run your main hgih gain soudn into it.. ptu it near you on a chair or somethign

i knew guys who had them mounted a small but efficent speaker on their microphone stands. and basically it is a simple principle if you get feedback from the smaller amp and your guitar is hooked up to the bigger amp too then it will induce feedback..as well but you are controlling it with the smaller speaker. or amp.. i used to do thsi with a voloume pedal and a little 15watt amp with a 6inch speaker. i would walk toward my mike and hit the volume pedal until i had enough gain and volume to get some cool sustaining leads. even when my guitarist was doing clean stuff

i have a few other options on feedback as well. i will try to draw them up again and post htem on my website.

one of hte lateste ones is the resosnator effect. i have two boxes with six strings in each. all tuned to different intervals with drivers under them to make them vibarte on this soundboard.. and then another pickup picks thsi up and amplifiy this to the board or another amp.. so i can drone with myself..

would like a headphone speaker rim be right?

and am i correct in thinking that because the speaker uses a magnet, it will play through the pickup? because i've put headphone speakers up to pickups and heard the cd in the amp.

if you have heard you headphoen speakers thru the amp like htat then you shooudl be an excellent canidate.. for the susationro mod

yeah, i meant for the sustainer mod. that's great, i'm sure i've got a partialy busted set of hewadphones somewhere. i'll give it a try. thanks, ansil!

I was thinking about this the other day.... the driver in the speaker moves the cone with ELECTROMAGNETIC OSCILATIONS. Wouldn't it make sense for the pickups to then pick up those osillations (which they are designed to sense) and not the actual sound produced by the cone. Cause decent quality potted pickups should not be succeptile microphonics on a sufficient level to reproduce sounds. just my two cents.

-Vadim

btw, this means that it would be possible to prototype this mod without taking apart your guitar.

if my previous post seems at all irreverant, it was not my intention. The home-made sustainer is a freakin brilliant idea.

-Vadim

(I'm still confused as to how the piezo one worked then, cause from what i understand they don't produce a very strong magnetic field.)

very true and maybe thats the way it works.. i am not really sure i never really put that much thought into it.. i started playinwwith lm386's years and years ago and just stuck them in everythign i have made. alomst everything.. one of my old casette palyer has them in it so i kind of went from there..

I'm hopelessly stupid when it comes to capacitors, diodes, etc. etc.. I'm the kind of guy who needs a simple line art diagram labeled in plain English, ya know? So for this Black Ice thing, I'm a bit confused...

If I get the StewMac one, straight forward enough-- solder it to the appropriate spot and you're off to the races.

But for the homebrew version, what does it come down to? Are there multiple components, or is it one simple diode that StewMac have repackaged to seem like more than it is? Ie. if I have the part number of some little gizmo that is used in circuits, can I buy it for $5, wire it up the way the Black Ice is wired, and I'm off to the races?

Or does the 'cube' contain multiple parts that I need to shop for, figure out how to put together, etc. Is this in another thread? I'm still learning to navigate this forum. <laff>

Any help will be mucho appreciated.

if my previous post seems at all irreverant, it was not my intention. The home-made sustainer is a freakin brilliant idea.

-Vadim

(I'm still confused as to how the piezo one worked then, cause from what i understand they don't produce a very strong magnetic field.)

yeah i think that's how it works.

i also think that it would mean that it would sound better because it's magnetism playing through the pickups instead of microphonic feedback.

:edit your second question, yeah pizeos dont use magnetism, so that would work by microphonic properties.

Greg:

the stew mac one is just wired like a tone pot.

i had trouble seing what ansil meant at first, but its prety simple.

you use two diodes, pointing in opposite directions, with both of each of thir ends touching one end of the other diode. you use that little pair as your black ice.

yeah i keep telling people you may have to use a small speaker. the one i used is like a piezo but it is plastic. for some reason its in the piezo listing. i am unsure.

Questioneer: Gotcha. See? All I need sometimes is a wee little plain language explanation. ;-)

Of course, I could always learn how to read schematics, and open myself to a whole new world...

Well, some day.

When you apply a voltage to a piezo crystal the whole thing physically bends. In the piezo transducer the crystal is laminated to a metal backing plate the plate bends as well. The plate is in the magnetic field of the pickup so as the plate vibrates in distorts the field, the changing flux lines cut the pickup coil which induces a voltage in the coil etc etc.

You should find different amounts of feed back by placing the piezo at different points wrt to the pickup also different metal plates, on the piezo should effect it as well.

Keith

al right someone with some more knowledge on it than me. i just do it. and worry about the results when i get them :D

• 2 weeks later...
wait what happens with the 9v - ?

i didn't understand your previous answer to a similar question.

i assume u are talking about the negative side of the ninevolt batterie in which icase it wil be tied to ground.. sorry i left this as a given didn't realize it woudl casue so much confusion..

omg, any one else have a hard time trying to figure this stuff out, can anyone make them easyer to read and understand

well it depends. i mean what are you having a hard time wiht.. i can redraw soemthing for ya. and even email you an explanation. but as i have said before i tried to keep it as general as i could with basic electronic principles

i appologize i went to engineering school fro trhee years so sometimes i am not always that clear..

u can email me or reply here on what you hvae question about