4 New Modification Tutorials

Brian

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me where to put the toggle switch to turn the sustainer on,oh yeah are the pickups in the diagram wired out of phase or is it just me?

Sorry for the dumb questions buit i just cant help myself!

toggle switch takes some of the signal from the output jack. and applies it to the input fo the chip. ie pin 3

yes they are out of phase as this was my guitars wiring that i set up, on a three way it is neck middle coils cut, and done like petrucci's and then bridge pickup

http://geocities.com/cemaynard1134/faqsustainor.htm

heres a faq and a modded sustainor page

• 5 months later...
I'm having trouble understanding those schematics, since they're not labeled, and they require self knowlege. Could someone help me understand them, I would reallylike to try the Black Ice Overdrive idea :D

blackice.gif

• 3 months later...

I probably missed something but on the diagram, you go from the switch to the chip, then how does it get to the output jack?

thanks for your help :D

I probably missed something but on the diagram, you go from the switch to the chip, then how does it get to the output jack?

thanks for your help :D

ok i know i posted it somewhere the updated picture of that. the switch is the pickup selector the chip doesn't go to the output jack . it is an amp that feeds a speaker under the pickups the rest of the guitar is wired normally. for those that had a problem with it try putting the speaker face down towards the cavity and for a new years treat i have been uploading sound clips to the shop computer. so i hope to get them on a floppy soon.

but the signal from the pickups (via the selector switch) has to get to the tone/volume controls or the jack, from the diagram it looks like the signal just goes to the piezo or does that dark green lead from the piezo go to the controls and jack? oh hang on, is that right then? is it meant to be like a preamp aswell... sorry if i just answered my own question :D

ok from the guitar switch just add on the appropriate strat, les paul, kramer, or whatever wiring you have.. i have just showed from the pickup selector.. i am going to take this down and redo it. i thought it was clear but this has been a very long and trying process and many people have had problems with trying to build it.

Hey Ansil

I was surprised to see this tread return to the front page. I didn't have a problem with the explanations and I've got to say, it was the sustainer Mod that lured me to the forum in the first place, but no one seems to have gotten it to work, which I find a bit wierd. :D

My experiments with it got a feedback like induction and saturation causing a characteristic compression that you would associate with conventional feedback but not a string driving sustain, nor can I see how it could produce it given as it doesn't act directly upon the strings. Correct me if I'm wrong of course! :D

That said, it does produce an interesting sustain in the sense that a compressor does, that is, it keeps the volume of the decay up till the last of the strings natural vibration. It also adds the characteristic intensity of edge of control feedback sustain. This is an interesting effect and musicallly useful of itself, however perhaps it is more people's expectations of it that are at fault. :D

Of course it may be that no one seems to know how to solder the insides of a guitar or read a fairly simple diagram. There also seems to be an unwillingness for people to experiment, the questions always seem to be about not understanding every detail before having a go, and asking why it doesn't work!

love your work Mr A: B)

psw

• 2 weeks later...

other things to try .. instead of glueing the speaker to the pickup. just put it under the tremolo springs. that was nice too.. alot easier.. but you can also put it on the lower bout. and once you get the hang of it. it is quite easy to get it to sustain till the battery dies. but i agree psw i belive people are a little mislead on diy nothing is easy. however somethings are easier for others than some and some things do work on the first try but not always. lol

bangs head profusely against amplifier

... and once you get the hang of it. it is quite easy to get it to sustain till the battery dies. but i agree psw i belive people are a little mislead on diy nothing is easy.  however somethings are easier for others than some and some things do work on the first try but not always.  lol

Really...well that puts me out of commission...you get infinite sustain with 3 components and a battery! If it works in all those different positions it must be the vibrations acting on the body and the strings via the bridge. I couldn't get those results and I still don't get how, without directly acting upon the strings, or indirectly through vibrating the body, you could. Even then, your not going to get that much vibration from miniture speakers or piezos surely...I didn't!

Still I did get that induction compression effect, which some may wan't anyway.

Will somebody put a sound sample up...I could go a little humble pie right now.

psw

I think Ansil's results were serendipitous, and they're obviously hard to duplicate, but the principle is sound, just hard to implement without a lot of gain - somebody (don't remember who - brain damage, y'know?) used to make a cheesy travel guitar with a built-in amplifier that had the speaker directly under the strings, and if you tweaked the gain just right, you could get howling, (barely) controllable feedback/sustain a la Jimi out of it - it also amplified any mechanical noise, jumped to whatever harmonic it liked without much encouragement, had to be constantly adjusted to keep it from becoming an oscillator, and it hissed like a 600 lb. tomcat, but it would usually work for a while after you got everything set. Not very practical, but it was great for annoying people in public places.

again i think your idea there psw is awesome i even said so quite a few times in email which i never got replied too i am asuming more problems with the server again. anyway i never said it was perfect however i am trying to sweet talk this gal into letting me borrow her camera as it takes realtime video seeing is beliveing well hearing too. i just need to dumpthis from tape to computer.

ha 600lb cat thats funny. i must admit i went through a few revisions before it worked like i wanted it too. lol oh well. back to the Chamber to inhale the fumes from the toxic waste dump that i have harnest in my mind. :D

ACTUALLY SINCE I AM BASICALLY BEING CALLED A LIAR IN ANOTHER THREAD ON THIS, I ASK THE ADMIN TO PULL DOWN THIS AS I AM SICK AND TIRED OF ANSWERING QUESTIONS ON IT

SINCE FOR SOME REASON ONLY I CAN GET IT TO WORK EVEN THOUGH I AM INSTALLING THEM UP HERE IN CLEVELAND TN FOR PEOPLE IN THE MUSIC STORE. AND I HAVE CONSTANTLY UPDATED IT AND REDRAWN IT FOR PEOPLE.

SINCE MOST OF MY IDEAS ARE STARTING TO SELL NOW I SAY THIS COPY WHAT YOU WISH FROM MY SITES WHILE THEY ARE UP AS I AM TAKING THEM DOWN FOREVER.....................

dONT' WORRY THOUGH THERE WILL BE A CLIP BEFORE I GO THOUGH........

Edited by ansil

No need to use capitals...sorry if I didn't get your emails, I always reply.

Your sustainer Mod was what attracted me to the PG website forum in the first place...as I was searching for anything and everything I could find.

The simple Amplifier 386 plus output cap was the original circuit I used for testing my driver ideas and it worked perfectly....input caps, bah!

Now that I've learn't a bit more, I'm sticking buffers and 0.1uf caps everywhere. Your stripped down approach is my touchstone on this as I'm aware that I'm sticking the stuff in cause they tell me too.

I'm sorry if I in anyway implied you were lying on this. Resonance is a powerful thing and if your able to get even the smallest vibrations happening in the body or in physically shaking the pickup on its mounts, and hence it's magnetic field, below the strings, and/or the speaker coils causing a magnetic attenuation of the pickup's field, then there is the possibility of a direct action on the strings to produce infinite sustain.

The enormous inductive compression effect is enough to drive even moderately loud amps into traditional feedback sustain which is also effectively infinite but with a bit more predictability.

I don't want to be seen as someone who is dis'ing this in any way whatsoever. But I fully understand your frustration and have steadfastly refused to let anyone try and replicate my work. I'm more than happy to lend assistance to anyone who want's to have their own go. It's telling that I've had no takers, just offers of $10 for the schematic!!!!!!

It's a shame that people dont take these things for what they are, the sharing of ideas for people's own explorations. I'm hoping that my sustainer "journal style" thread would help people realize how much work goes into fully exploring an idea. I suspect that only a few really realize that it takes quite a bit of mucking about and perserveance to get any kind of result.

There's also a lot of theorists. I know I can be one, but at least I have pulled my finger out and given it more than a fair go.

I bow before you and continue to be inspired...

psw

I'm more than happy to lend assistance to anyone who want's to have their own go. It's telling that I've had no takers, just offers of $10 for the schematic!!!!!!
So you can help me with the this sustainer? I don't really understand the diagram. I understand the concept behind it, just not how to wire up a switch and connect the pickup, so if it's not too much trouble I'd like some help. I don't want to bother ansil if he doesn't want to answer any questions.