PhotoBooth synch problems

Crusader

Hi all

I like to record my guitars to compare them with each other but its hard to keep track what is being played. So I've been trying to do it with videos using PhotoBooth, Logic and PhotoShop

But when putting a PhotoBooth video into PhotoShop the sound is out of synch. I have had success putting a PhotoBooth video into Logic, then exporting the sound track to it, then putting that into PhotoShop but I just tried it again with no success. I don't know what I did right and what I'm now doing wrong

The thing is it seems a lot of mucking around so my question is, what is the best way to do this? PhotoBooth does not seem to be the best choice. Anyone got suggestions?

cheers, Doug

Yes I tried that with one video but the mic was over at the amp on the other side of the room LOL

But also, when you have a PhotoBooth video in PhotoShop I'm not sure if you can separate the audio in order to do that. I have tried recording sound in Logic then put the video into Logic, then export the sound to the video. Then put the video into PhotoShop to edit it.....BUT

1) Its a lot of mucking around

2) It still never looks right (sound - video synch)

3) The quality of the audio in the PhotoBooth video is just as good as in Logic, so back to 1) Its a lot of mucking around

I'm just wondering what other people do, there must be others who do the same thing. I'm wondering about iMovie. The trouble is my HDD will be getting junked up with yet another program. I have tried to edit videos in Photos but can't remember what the problem was. I just thought PhotoShop was the best and it seems ludicrous that you have to use a lesser program to get the results you want

bamboozled!

18 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Yes I tried that with one video but the mic was over at the amp on the other side of the room LOL

You need a clapper boy to clap the microphone at the amp.

I seem to recall you asked a similar question about PhotoBooth some time ago? I assume your camera is whatever you've got built in to your computer and you're using PhotoBooth to record the video in the absence of a separate camera setup.

Googling PhotoBooth seems to turn up frequent complaints that the audio and video end up out of sync, and the 'fix' is to pretty much do what's described here. Ie, use some kind of clapper board or substitute to aid in re-aligning the audio and video after the fact. If having to perform this re-alignment of the sound and footage is more effort than it's worth, then your only alternative is to find another method of recording the video in the first place - either a different app if you're using a built-in camera (there must be loads out there?) or using a dedicated camera and transferring the recorded audio+video clip over later on.

I would imagine most people just use their phones, or a dedicated camera with an on-board or external mike to record videos with. If the footage and audio doesn't sync right on those devices they'd be...well...broken ;)

What about ditching the video altogether and just recording sound? You only need to record your voice at the start of each soundclip to identify what is being recorded. You can even give the file name something descriptive to aid its cataloging later on if need be, eg "Gibson ES335 Neck PU Clean Princeton 17-12-2019.mp3".

9 hours ago, curtisa said:

I seem to recall you asked a similar question about PhotoBooth some time ago?

Yes I think I did

The reason I am making videos is so there is no mistaking which guitar is being used and to see the switch to know which pickup is being used. During recording and swapping between guitars it is very easy to forget to announce what I'm doing. But I may also want to use the video for other reasons

So anyway just now I recorded myself in PhotoBooth for 30 seconds and clapped in the beginning and at the end, and talked. After putting it in PhotoShop it was in synch at the beginning but out of synch after about 9 seconds

3 hours ago, Crusader said:

I'm expecting a photo editing program to be best for videos as well...LOL

For the price it should be omnipotent...

I haven't used other video editors than the ancient Microsoft Movie Maker, but most likely there's a bunch of easy to use freebies or at least inexpensive tools to choose from.