Voting for March 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

norm barrows

what is a humbucker / single coil ?

I just ordered one of these off of EBay as a possible neck pickup for my red guitar project. 

What the heck is it?

What can i expect out of it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Rail-Single-Coil-Humbucker-Pickup-for-Electric-Guitar-Replacements/312640069634?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 

the body for the build is pre-routed for two humbuckers.  I have an EMG 81X for the bridge.   I was going to put a Sustainiac at the neck, but decided it was overkill.

So now i've ordered a number of different pickups to try at the neck: a passive humbucker set, a quad rail, a lipstick humbucker, and this humbucker/single coil thingie.      I've only used regular full sized passive humbuckers, passive single coils, and an EMG 81 in the past.

Apparently, they will all sound different compared to the passive humbucker.  

While i kind of have an idea of what the quad and lipstick are about, I have no idea what this thing is.   Never even seen one before.

Looking at the wires I would say it can be coil tapped, hence the single coil reference.  

it could be that the rails are the only functional part of the pickup and the bit that looks like gold foil where pole pieces might be could be just a place holder so it will fit in a humbucker route?  Only guessing though would be interesting to know which,if any, of my guesses it is.

Edited by willliam_q

for some reason, i got the idea it was something like a hot rail + a single coil, in a standard humbucker footprint.

wait and see, i guess.

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

that shop seems to have a pretty impressive variety of inexpensive parts.

benefits of surfing ebay for hours on end.

took me 4 hours yesterday just to find a fricking guitar strap.      I must have looked at about 4000 listings.     And i wasn't looking for anything crazy.    I found an electric 12 string on ebay for just $120.   I couldn't resist.  It arrived yesterday.    Its a beautiful 12 string tobacco burst SSS strat with white and silver hardware.    Really classic looking. and sounds great.    Never noticed before, but its basically just like playing with an octave pedal turned on.    It came with a nice padded gig bag, and a cord, but no strap.   So the first thing i did was jump on Ebay to find a strap and strap locks.  something tasteful and kinda retro, to go with the classic tobacco burst strat look.  kind of fancy brown leather, but not too expensive - after all the guitar only cost $120.   found something for about 5 or 6 bucks, but it took FOREVER.

Faux, but looked pretty nice....

oh wait, i didn't get that one after all, i sprang for the leather jack daniels strap for $24. its seemed the most "appropriate" one for that particular guitar.  the tobacco burst is actually a deep burgundy, not black on the edges and back, and you can see figuring through the finish.  it really is an impressive guitar. absolutely gorgeous in the most classic and traditional sense, and sounds and plays beautifully. slap a set of ernie balls on it and you're good to go.  the headstock logo says "Cozart.- custom hand made".

let me see if i can find those straps in my ebay viewing history....

my bad - they are genuine leather, and are just $5, with free shipping.   i was going to get the dark brown one (not the snakeskin, the fancy engraved one).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/P-P-Leather-Genuine-Guitar-Strap-2-5-Inch-Adjustable-Soft-Belt-Bass-Guitar-DX/233421112057?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

i also came across this less expensive, simple, yet tasteful strap, i got one for my fender 6 string acoustic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Widening-Folk-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Bass-Adjustable-Belt-Guitar-Strap-Newly/392593947641?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=661556070470&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

.i may go with that brown engraved leather one for my antique guitar build. or maybe the tan version. i want the antique guitar to be lighter in color, perhaps natural, or even cream.

Edited by norm barrows

I was sceptical about "P&P Leather" so I googled it. Exactly the same product was found at AliExpress from several vendors and one of them said it's PU leather. No wonder for that price. Those Chinese just don't seem to understand the meaning of the words they use. Or maybe they're really herding rubber bulls whose skin is real artificial leather?

I could find some straps that looked real, priced $15 and up.

Edited by Bizman62

Yep, the looks is good and the quality most likely is satisfying and durable for years but the material is plastic instead of animal skin.

the pickup looks like artec - sm as gfs.  if you look at the gfs 'gold foil' pickups... you'll see what I mean.  afa I can tell they are just a single coil with a gold foil cover.  I'm sure they are decent pickups.  the goofy thing is they give you only 4 wires... s/b 6.  what I mean is you have the option to run it as a 3 pickup (who the heck would do that?  it'll hum) or as either individual pickup.  so basically you can switch between a hot rail style humbucker and a single coil style.  most of these are mfg by artec.  Gfs even admitted at one point that their pickups are mfg by artec but "to gfs spec".  their magnet quality is ok in my experience... def a bargain for the money.  I use them a lot for dummy coils or other situations where I'm just looking for something to cancel humb but I put one of the hot rails in my hamer steve stevens and my take on it is it excels more at cleans... at least in that guitar.

afa straps... I'd kind of stay away from aliexpress/dhgate/china.  stitching always goes to shite right away ime. 

right now at musicians friend they have a sale on the $7.99 leather straps from perry's.  I've got a few before and they are pretty nice and real leather.  7.99 - can't beat that!  just snagged another.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/perris-2-basic-leather-guitar-strap/j16299000001000

J16299000002000-00-220x220.jpg

if you want something a bit more fancy walker and williams has some amazing real leather for $22-30.  esp the italian leather - those are thick and very nice. 

S-02-back-site-600x600.jpg

For some odd reason musicianfriends.com doesn't work on my browser, it only shows the front page. I could see that they ship for free in 48 states. Most likely that means some $50 for shipping a strap to Finland. At least that's what I've seen on ebay, the prices can be on the lower side but the shipping cost is stellar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

For some odd reason musicianfriends.com doesn't work on my browser, it only shows the front page. I could see that they ship for free in 48 states. Most likely that means some $50 for shipping a strap to Finland. At least that's what I've seen on ebay, the prices can be on the lower side but the shipping cost is stellar.

sorry to tease you then!

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, mistermikev said:

afa I can tell they are just a single coil with a gold foil cover.  I'm sure they are decent pickups.  the goofy thing is they give you only 4 wires..

yep it just arrived yesterday. looks to be a single coil and a hotrail in a humbucker footprint - with 4 wires.