Voting for March 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

Sign in to follow this  
norm barrows

pickup springs - small end up?

i was just mounting a pickup in my latest "thing" i'm doing, and noticed that the springs that go under the mounting ring are tapered - big at one end, and small at the other.  i've noticed this in the past, but never gave it much thought.   so which way should they go? is there even a "right way up"? why are they conical? i would think that cylindrical would be cheaper. i did notice they tend to thread onto the screws. maybe its so they stay put during assembly and disassembly?

Don't think it matters which way up they go. The conical shape just allows the spring to be compressed all the way to a near-flat profile. If the springs were cylindrically shaped, the smallest they could be compressed to is the combined stack of coils in the spring.

I don't think it matters, most of the springs I've used are cylindrical anyway but I tend to cut them a bit shorter because they're usually a PITA to mount.  

i think curtisa nailed it with the reason.  that is a lot more potential travel needed on a humbucker... have often thought of replacing all my springs there with silicon tube as I love the stuff but I'm guessing I'd have to fidget to get the height just right.

it occurred to me that perhaps the big end should go down,. as that might help keep the pickup level with respect to the mounting frame, as well as reduce the tendency to rock back and forth on the screws and springs, or the tendency to simply tilt towards or away from the bridge, instead of laying flat.

• Like 1

On my current/last build I was going to put the large end up to reduce/spread the pressure around the screw holes as I installed the pickups right to the hollow top. However, the only way I could install the pickups was to pinch the large ends around the feet of the pickups and drop the screws through, guiding the springs with needle nose tweezers.