Design Variations (inspired by injury)

JayT

Well, dragging all my heavy tools up & down steps to enjoy the weather I threw out my back so am forced out of the shop while on the mend. Being limited to the keyboard I decided to riff on some design variations of my first build body (far left). 

thierry-designs1.thumb.png.327327ba2351f6f62fea25b9d7769719.png

I like the idea of a "family" of related guitar shapes so I basically moved lines around added/chopped stuff and came up with these 2. 

Being non-traditional shapes I think they'd be better served in classic/familiar colors, rather than some crazy colors...something like:

thierry-designs.thumb.png.ae4ee8f3e198e91021c257627f61b911.png

Just some ideas to kill time. Criticize away, it is appreciated (good, bad or indifferent)

FYI, is it normal to be thinking of "the next one" before "the current one" is even finished? I have a feeling it is :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayT said:

Just some ideas to kill time. Criticize away, it is appreciated (good, bad or indifferent)

FYI, is it normal to be thinking of "the next one" before "the current one" is even finished? I have a feeling it is :)

sorry to hear about the back... here's to mending quick.

your headstock always reminds me of the ankh.  Of the three... I like the middle shape best in the first photo.  Think it looks better in the cherry burst than the 'tv yellow' but black is always a popular choice.

"is it normal" - well I hope so... but if not then we are both abnormal so at least we're not alone!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JayT said:

That's supposed to be gold, like a LP gold top...but I do like TV Yellow too...

ma bad... for the record doesn't really look tv yellow or gold...

personally never cared for gold tops... just incredibly gaudy to me... and I own a jem floral!  that said... some folks like it like that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mistermikev said:

"is it normal" - well I hope so... but if not then we are both abnormal so at least we're not alone!

Guess we're all abnormal that way. Even if there's no intention to ever build another guitar, it's most likely impossible to avoid thinking "should there be a next time I'd do this differently".

Nice shapes! Not ones I'd build or buy for myself but definitely something I'd like to see available at the music store for budding pop stars to suit their unique style.

• Like 1