Research and Design

MiKro

Hi all,

First let me say, research and design go hand in hand. It also takes time. Locating information is time consuming. I am currently working on an Acoustic Electric similar to the new Fender Acoustasonic Tele. That being said, One of the hardest parts to this has been designing the bridge. I use Rhino 6 and Aspire for my 3dCAD/CAM software.

I will be using Graphtech Ghost saddles for the acoustic part of this when using an amp, this will also lend itself to using there mixer board for passive pickups and also adding the hexpander for midi. The challenge is using Tele or Strat saddles in what would be an Acoustic bridge with top loading features.

I can easily go through the top and make it a string through design. Problem is this, would require removing a panel from the back to access the top for string replacement or using a string pin design. So I am currently in design and will be moving forward to making prototype bridges in the next week or so. Wood considerations must be adhered to for strength as a well as aesthetics. I will be incorporating metal in this design and it will be hidden to preserve the wood look. So here are a few pictures of the start of this process.

While Fender has used the true acoustic approach using an acoustic bridge and a Custom designed Fishman peizo pickup. They have also use bridge pins like an acoustic. I am trying to do something like a top load hard tail.

Now on to the bridge. As you see I am using offset intonation screw saddles. this should allow me to do a top loading type bridge? My designs are based on standard bridge and making changes to those to get the look and minimize area on the soundboard/top. :) BTW this is an expensive experiment. LOL!! Just the saddles and preamp are about $300.

Fender research and Fender pictures from Guitar magazine.com and Sweetwater.com

fender-acoustasonic-review-bridge@1400x1050.jpg

fender-acoustasonic-review-pickup@1400x1050@1400x1050.jpg

asonic1.jpg

Graphtech saddles with open back. Picture from Graphtech

pickups_offset1.jpg

Current design at present

brid1start.jpg

Notice size change here, latest bridge design will most likely be even smaller in width from hip to hip

comp1.jpg

First progressions.

bridge_progression1.jpg

This will be the metal plate inserted in the bridge for screws and string through support.

plate1.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting idea, not sure I've seen a traditional metal saddled bridge on an acoustic before :thumb:

I'm having trouble visualising where your metal insert plate is meant to fit in the whole scheme of things. I'm assuming that the six 'screw holes' are for mounting the saddle screws through, so does this mean the metal insert sits behind the wooden bridge block perpendicular to the plane of the guitar top? And the strings are therefore through-strung from the back a bit like a pinless acoustic bridge?:

image.png

One thing to watch out for when marrying saddles with wood (which you may have already considered) - the small grub screws used for height adjustment of each saddle will likely gouge and dent the flat area on the bridge plate quite easily. Even in a traditional Strat it's not unusual to see the chrome baseplate dented or scuffed through years of downwards string pressure or adjusting the saddle heights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MiKro said:

@Curtisa,

yes your picture is correct in thinking of the string holes. The plate will be inlayed in the wood. also to counter act the bottom plate grub screws eating into the wood, another plate will be inlayed there as well. .

MK

bridgeplate1.jpg

funny, you addressed my question before I asked it... hehe.  "Nevermind the logistics... will the height screws scratch it?"  

Seems like it would def be an improvement on the acoustasonic design in that the intonation/string-height will be adjustable... good call. 

• Like 1