Ibanez ftm 33 8 sting diy build questions

Nvkc

I am currently 3d modeling Ibanez ftm 33, and I have some questions that more experienced builders probably can help me with.

I am planning to use edge III 8 string fixed bridge so how deep should be the cavity for installation or if someone has some roughing planes for that bridge it would be helpful, the second thing that I am not sure of is the thickness of neck portion that is above body plane, and what is usual fretboard thickness

I'll temper my response by saying "there are more experienced builders here who you want to read their response and place it above mine".  that said, I'm guessing most of them would tell you what I'm about to: lay it out.  With tremolos you can have it float and do a neck angle or have it flush and perhaps not do an angle.  I don't know how readily available the ibanez edge III docs are... but I would start there - finding them and setting up a sideview to see how low it needs to sit for a no neck angle install.  I know on my jem the base cavity is 1/2" but how that relates to the edge III is not something I know.

typical fretboard thickness is 1/4".

hope in some small way that helps.

The FX Edge III 8 is a fixed bridge, not a floating trem.

AFAIK there are no detailed dimension drawings of the Ibanez bridges available. Your best bet is to get the bridge and construct routing templates for it yourself.

Based on photographic evidence, the bridge is recessed by perhaps 8-10mm. It could be as simple as a flat bed that is merely 2-3mm larger than the overall footprint of the bridge, but there could be other features underneath the bridge that need to be allowed for. Even so, this could easily be measured and incorporated into your routing plan:

Related image

The more critical features will be the two mounting studs either side of the bridge, and the third smaller standoff at the back. Again, your best bet is to measure the actual bridge and create a drilling layout yourself.

6 hours ago, Nvkc said:

the second thing that I am not sure of is the thickness of neck portion that is above body plane, and what is usual fretboard thickness

Neck height above the body is generally dictated by the bridge you intend to use, so once again you're stuck until you can measure the bridge. The FX Edge III looks to be a relatively tall unit but is designed to be recessed, so you have the option to make it sit appreciably higher or lower than most other types of bridge, giving plenty of leeway for adjustability.