David's PRS and Matt's Tele

3 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Yeah I guess a jig could work if you're building fretboards of the same dimensions frequently. My rationale for the blocks this time were that I had already cut the neck and fretboard to final dimensions prior to glueing, so the locator blocks on either side seemed like a good idea. The principle is pretty similar to the cocktail stick method I've employed a few times, but in this case I had not cut the fret slots already so wasn't sure where to drill the wholes in the board.

well, I was thinking of something that would work for any neck... two blocks in a straight line on one side... 12" apart, glued and screwed to a piece of mdf or pine.  A 1/4" slot cut at 90 deg in the middle of the board with another block with a hole thru the middle.  lag screw with a wing nut holding it to the mdf board.  put the neck tight to the other two blocks, scootch the middle block tight and lock it down with the wing nut.  perhaps two variable blocks but you get the idea.

just spitballing here.

3 hours ago, willliam_q said:

When I was cutting the relief into the fretboard, I did it off the body.  In fact I built, binded, and inlayed the fretboard before I even drew out the neck on the maple.  I then used the fretboard as my router guide to shape the neck.  Worked well for me

That is definitely a valid way to do it. I've always preferred to shape the neck to final dimensions and route the fretboard down using the neck as the template than route the neck down to the fretboard though. 

A bit more progress on the PRS style build. I used the router to reduce the height of the neck heel, I needed to remove about 10mm. I used to just bandsaw the excess off and get it flat with a hand plane, but I found the router is a lot more precise. I had a nice tight fitting neck pocket, but annoyingly as soon as I got the heel down to the right height, I ended up with a loose neck pocket. So I ended up glueing a veneer in either side of the pocket. Now I have a very tight neck pocket. I'm sure it will be just right by the time everything has been sanded.

2aW7w18fyfPYNTjSpdqSPK4EZxXANuZqfTEnwL39

Did  bit of carving this evening, the carve is pretty much roughed in now and I'm on to thumb planes to even it all out. You'll notice the dye mess. I gave it a once over with purple to show David what it would look like. I might do this in future actually because there are a couple of benefits. 1. A much better tester with a bit more context than a small offcut, it told me how much colour bleed there would be along the edges and how absorbent this particular piece of wood is. In future, I think I'll do this while the wood is still completely flat, that way I can just run it through the sander again to take the stain out.

BejjTcy9Vv1hQ8liwDePiIgaQ2kUfOTb5WIx3yab

o9O4chTQJyOuTiP5_OmzIgJCcxOyYwnRRuGsLFbS

d7Mq7Hz0l7lbIIg9P-ndEWItG6HUoE2EZPlGZBVH

8bL72l0JnkSPhCICBlZzupMOIv_m5jmMtGy_jbe2

6 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I might do this in future actually because there are a couple of benefits. 1. A much better tester with a bit more context than a small offcut, it told me how much colour bleed there would be along the edges and how absorbent this particular piece of wood is.

Not to mention that you can clearly see where you've carved.

51 minutes ago, ScottR said:

i like carved tops that have actually been carved.

Nicely done too, how long did that take you?

SR

Not very long at all to be honest, I am surprised at how quick hand carving can be once I'd done it a few times and learnt how to properly sharpen the gouges and thumb planes. I did it over 2 sessions and I think no more than 2 hours, though I expect there will be at least a solid 1 hour left before I can call it done.

It's when we start hollowing it out, carving the underside and cutting f-holes that the hours really rack up, fortunately I'm not doing any of that on this build.  

• Like 2

+1 on sharpness.
@ADFinlayson That gouge looks just like the old one I got to do my current top (#5 sweep gouge). I'll admit there was a bit of romanticism involved in getting the old tool, but I ended up using it for 80% of the carve. It was indispensable!

19 minutes ago, komodo said:

+1 on sharpness.
@ADFinlayson That gouge looks just like the old one I got to do my current top (#5 sweep gouge). I'll admit there was a bit of romanticism involved in getting the old tool, but I ended up using it for 80% of the carve. It was indispensable!

Yep, this is an old Marples #5 3/4" gouge that I got off ebay last year for about £20, the new equivalent from the likes of Ashley Isles or Pfeil are more like £50. Granted this one came from a seller that clearly buys old tools, refurbs them and sells at a profit, I expect if I could be bothered to trawl the car boot sales, I could find this sort of thing much cheaper. But I'd much rather be in the workshop on a rainy Sunday morning than out shopping for bargains.

10 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Your build quality at that difficulty level is fantastic! Remembering your start only a few years ago it's obvious that you've found your real talent and vocation.

Well that is very kind, I'm not sure this is a particularly high difficulty level, it's just routing a binding channel and sticking a piece of wood and veneer in the rebate, but then I have done binding on almost all of my builds so far - It's good had hiding my wonky fret slots :P 

Yep, it will be 2 years in March since I started building my first guitar, but I reckon I must have put a good few thousand hours in to it by now, as you've said yourself, Welcome to the obsession... Only about another 7000 hours to go and I can call myself an expert :D 

Did some inlay work tonight. It's a very simple celtic knot design. I didn't want to go any more complex because designing it is one thing, inlaying it is a different ball game. Wasn't as awkward to cut out as I thought although I should have cut a bit closer to the lines.

pKXRQu1diQA4Cbo_SgBVUrghzy5V5z3EBd59EH61

It's upside down so you can see the material, it's laminated abalone so I hope it's going to play well with the radius. 

vBLL6afq-36tEwSsGiYTglCr6PUe3H6atyAuTndY

and the right way up, I've got some filing to do, but it's 0º in the garage so it can wait until the weekend. The hardest thing about this inlay so far has been putting the pieces together in the right way. Fortunately I printed several copies of the design. Once I've got it all filed, I expect I will end up sticking it to another copy then sticking that to the fretboard to scribe round.

sBuMMghxfOdSPYnN9aogLiNt8xah-2JW2irnc4Mj

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Well that is very kind, I'm not sure this is a particularly high difficulty level, it's just routing a binding channel and sticking a piece of wood and veneer in the rebate, but then I have done binding on almost all of my builds so far - It's good had hiding my wonky fret slots :P 

Yep, it will be 2 years in March since I started building my first guitar, but I reckon I must have put a good few thousand hours in to it by now, as you've said yourself, Welcome to the obsession... Only about another 7000 hours to go and I can call myself an expert :D 

I'm not aiming for the classification of expert, even if I put those 10'000hrs. I just want to enjoy each hour and feel a bit more experienced with each one. When you stop improving, you stop being good. This applies at all levels. 

• Like 1

that seemed to come out pretty well, definitely one of the more awkward inlays I've done on account of the symmetry. I stuck all 3 pieces to another copy of the design to ensure they were lined up, then glued that to the fretboard as lining them all up by hand was really fiddly. 

4_p0i_HNJvKphXwy7zWdaGgKL_-Cx13pC6vYdhyP

9A00PlG4pMWE4M72sSs6QhURWPkHWRb2SFUyys80

I'll fill all the gaps with ebony dust and superglue tomorrow before filing it all down flush. Hopefully the fact that it's laminate sheet will not make it look utterly dreadful. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, ADFinlayson said:

definitely one of the more awkward inlays I've done on account of the symmetry

I was just thinking the same thing. Couple that the inline in your binding and it is going to be obvious if you placement is even the slightest bit off.

You appear to have survived it nicely.

SR