David's PRS and Matt's Tele

11 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

The mic is about 6" away from my face so it's bound to pic up some breathing,

The breathing is no issue. What caught my eye was that you blew the dust away quite often and as we know after blowing hard you'll have to take a deep breath, potentially inhaling the dust you just puffed into the air.

Got some lacquer on over the weekend, needs levelling then another couple of coats I recon. I definitely need to work on my spraying technique. The issue I seem to still be having is requiring too much flow on the gun so too much air pressure in order to get a decent fan of paint coming out of it which means a lot of bounce back. I guess I'm still not thinning the material enough 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, pics

ACtC-3cAzIFgelDSt1oV5FfeL8JFpvA-J8m5IU_z

ACtC-3eOV29WZB8nF-VRoYMbAKrRVHf-4HmlFPOQ

ACtC-3ejvXI6HE5qy01BIS_FsRJk2J7JkwWBWLN9

ACtC-3eudNSH1Z3XjHXN7feJOprheNy7h4yPucLF

ACtC-3deiA_w-ZSSjAX5szeBRofMoQm41xVqW8yo

ACtC-3eOZF9ldK4Y9RAjFDJhXXS10WvIfw_iziRY

If you're at home with nothing to do 🤣 theres another full how I did it video

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Norris said:

The coloured neck against the natural body looks wild! Excellent stuff :)

hehe I asked David "Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you want me to stain the neck blue?" about 20 times, but it was a good choice. It was a bit nerve racking because I haven't stained a neck (or lacquered a neck for that matter) before and I had to do a load of staining and sealing before glueing the neck to the body or drilling for the bridge.

50 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

hehe I asked David "Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you want me to stain the neck blue?" about 20 times, but it was a good choice. It was a bit nerve racking because I haven't stained a neck (or lacquered a neck for that matter) before and I had to do a load of staining and sealing before glueing the neck to the body or drilling for the bridge.

You've done a cracking job. It couldn't be any neater 

2 hours ago, Norris said:

The coloured neck against the natural body looks wild! Excellent stuff

I was going to sat same thing! You don't see that often...well, I don't anyway.

Incredibly nice all around 

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

I did the same thing with the one abalone dot on my headstock.....so I'll be paying attention to how yours come out

Abalone dot glowing on a headstock? One of the 3 on mine just caught the light...

20200512_153435.thumb.jpg.7f75168f226e8fdb895fbd96cb56f1cb.jpg

(Close up of a full guitar photo)

• Like 2

Should you ever need to cover the stud holes or similar, foam ear plugs work just fine.

Seeing your glass getting emptier during the video made me want a beer, there's some wheat in the cold. But then the music kept shouting Whisky in the end so now I'm having this first world problem!

I couldn't help thinking whether the neighbour has been pondering about how difficult cleaning windows has become since you moved in...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Should you ever need to cover the stud holes or similar, foam ear plugs work just fine.

Seeing your glass getting emptier during the video made me want a beer, there's some wheat in the cold. But then the music kept shouting Whisky in the end so now I'm having this first world problem!

I couldn't help thinking whether the neighbour has been pondering about how difficult cleaning windows has become since you moved in...

Wow someone watched to the end, you would have needed a beer after that.

My neighbour is a property developer unfortunately and has made my life a misery for the last 2 years - in fact it's been guitar building that's kept me sane. It's tempting to wait until he walks passed and spray him with cellulose. But that would be uncouth so I'll settle for setting up my drum kit when the estate agents are showing their buyers around.

ACtC-3fmy4wvOmig5F69D4wQJJ50jA_UhOydmkSk

well I've given the back, then neck and most of the top a good levelling with 600. I don't want to go too crazy because it's only had 2 coats so far. I'm going to try and get a couple of thin coats on as soon as the weather improves. Need to do the same thing with the single cut and the bass. Running out of space to hang these guitars 

SF1NbCd42IhhagBBxUbss7VWR_t-KCdChSKs7GvL

• 1 month later...

I've been doing a bit more work on Matt's tele, this is where it's at now 

ACtC-3c6MKh2hhRCFVGYhN55flu-KZME8rnR37-c

ACtC-3fRvUuYyArXmnTGfCkdOKMmj0lEF_5HDXsx

ACtC-3fzXMNjc_pXmjpnbddQfLQCi5n98u-7BAtT

I have fallen out with this piece of walnut several times so far:

1). When it arrived it was HEAVY. So back in Jan I hand sawed the top off, then it became apparent that the inside of the blank was not dry enough. So it's been stacked at the bottom of the wood pile under a lot of weight for nearly 7 months.
2). Got it out of the pile 10 days ago and even with the weight, it moved A LOT. The top was 15mm thick when I stacked it and after flattening it out It was down to 6mm, same situation with the body, 45mm thick down to 33mm after flattening and now no longer thick enough for a tele and a total of 39mm 😢

So I decided I would have to do some pancaking, found a bit of cheap maple in the cupboard that I wasn't doing anything with that was 5mm after flattening. glued that up and onto the body left it 24 hours to see what it was going to do, then did some heavy chambering.

ACtC-3cEfkzlws-feFqceSqnUAFZHZioRpx-94Dm

I went for a thinline style route on the treble side then just a couple of deep chambers on the bass side as it's getting a belly carve on the back, Then I got the top glued on, left it another 24 hours and it remained flat so I did a bit of routing.

ACtC-3cawzJy5joOnQyIZsRl1uUImhiFGbhOVv92

it's now 44mm thick with about 5mm on the top and 6mm on the bottom under the chambers so weight has reduced significantly. I haven't weight it yet but when I held it with the neck and the parts, it didn't seem to bad. Matt want's an oil finish on this one so hopefully that won't increase weight as much as lacquering would. 

And there was me thinking a tele build was going to be easy!

• Like 1

Hardly. Most of the oil comes back off in rags anyway, even the initial flood coat. If you use about 100ml to flood, maybe 90% of that goes to waste. Weight isn't an issue unless you submerge the piece in oil for a few days, which I've only ever done for prepping wooden leadscrew blanks before the lathe. 

That walnut is stunning! And the maple emphasizes it beautifully. IMO that's a happy accident, the end result being better than the original plan.

What an optical illusion! I didn't see the maple layer, I saw a route for a fairly thick binding.:D

That walnut top is lovely. I had no idea how heavy teles are and know idea how big that body shape is till I built my tele-ish guitar based on tele measurements. My own designs are quite small up next to that one.

SR

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

I had no idea how heavy teles are

Hmm... as you know it depends on the wood. My suspended Tele-ish body blank weighs 1700 grams, double that for lbs. And it's still square!

15 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That walnut is stunning! And the maple emphasizes it beautifully. IMO that's a happy accident, the end result being better than the original plan.

I agree, spoke to Matt yesterday and he's really happy with it, good choices were made!

16 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Hardly. Most of the oil comes back off in rags anyway, even the initial flood coat. If you use about 100ml to flood, maybe 90% of that goes to waste. Weight isn't an issue unless you submerge the piece in oil for a few days, which I've only ever done for prepping wooden leadscrew blanks before the lathe. 

Yeah I think oil is definitely the way go go with this one, I'm also looking forward to doing an oil finish for a change as I haven't done one 5 guitars ago. also much less work than lacquer!

14 hours ago, Woltz said:

ADF what plans are you using for your PRS style builds.  That's next on my list after I finish my Rick, Strat and a Violin build (hmm I have a few projects, when does this become an addiction haha).

I've never used any plans for any PRS style builds, just acrylic templates from G&W. In fact the only time I've ever used bought plans is for the current acoustic build 

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

What an optical illusion! I didn't see the maple layer, I saw a route for a fairly thick binding.:D

That walnut top is lovely. I had no idea how heavy teles are and know idea how big that body shape is till I built my tele-ish guitar based on tele measurements. My own designs are quite small up next to that one.

SR

I think it must depend on the tele, Matt has a mexican 72 walnut duluxe, but it's not walnut at all other than a paper thin veneer on the top and back, the body is alder and it's fairly light weight, just tinted to look more walnutty. Yeah I am most definitely not a tele man, I'd have one made out of a piece of walnut like that, but then if I had another piece like that, I'd probably make something with carved top out of it :D 

Got the angle grinder out earlier, needs some finessing but it fits my rotund belly nicely. I put the template on the back and drew round so I could see where the chambers are, did not want to make any rear facing sound holes :D 

ACtC-3cp6L_2rfD_VMBwWbHqOk-G4TSisg-8lvGL

• Like 2