Headless build

So I’ve been building a headless over the past few months. It’s neck through design...was so close to a one piece in terms of the thickness of the Wenge blank! Oh well.

It’s been quite a journey! I have gradually evolved this build in to a Strandberg inspired build. One unusual aspect to this build is the scale length of 23.4 and the deliberate lack of a fretboard radius. Combined with the jumbo frets and skinny neck (almost Ibanez Wizard profile) this should be quite an interesting guitar.

Logistically this was quite tricky to build on account of me having to recess the body around the end of the neck enough for me to attach the poplar burl cap. The Ziricote fretboard was a pig to work with by the way! As you can see, I’ve done quite a bit of contouring and weigh relief. At the moment the guitar is 6.4 lbs, but I still have to route the trem cavity and take of the chunk of wood at the end of the neck, so hopefully it will end up more around 5.5 lbs. Anyway enough waffling, here’s so photos. 

E495E902-ACDF-4F93-8A03-25A8717AA32F.jpeg

F26428D1-5724-4AFC-AC76-AFA5294CA95F.jpeg

D3319BBE-51C6-466C-A278-9F0216631DBE.jpeg

9076B7A0-7E60-4FCF-97AA-659BE47C8596.jpeg

6ECEC6A5-6AC2-4A56-A06C-96C02F0D9C73.jpeg

BCE8E27E-9BE6-4321-BA9F-9B62FF9C8C9F.jpeg

AE4A97A2-420A-4177-BA1E-92B333237878.jpeg

C4F843FF-A6F2-45FF-AA39-223F6B054BE9.jpeg

2104E5B2-DC52-4135-8ABF-54653AC7FCB1.jpeg

Edited by ShatnersBassoon
  • Like 3

Just now, JouniK said:

Looking very nice. Where is that bridge from?

Cheers. I got it from a seller in China on EBay. It was around £65 including some accessories like the string holders (can’t think of a name for them haha). It seems quality enough, although it’s pretty heavy! I suppose Floyd Rose style bridges normally are.

A bit more contouring today, partly in an attempt to further reduce the weight. I was tempted to contour the lower bout in the same way as the upper bout, but I figured that that might make the guitar slip off the lap whilst playing...so I decided on this somewhat unconventional route, titivating needed- 

ACBC4433-1094-4146-B3EB-2D2D23691B52.jpeg

feel like I somehow missed the start of this.  v cool build. 

all 1 piece wenge?  you must still be pulling splinters out of places you didn't know existed! 

really looking great.

I did a zero radius for a slide guitar and was surprised at how comfy it actually is.  talk about low action potential.  this should be a crazy good player.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mistermikev said:

feel like I somehow missed the start of this.  v cool build. 

all 1 piece wenge?  you must still be pulling splinters out of places you didn't know existed! 

really looking great.

I did a zero radius for a slide guitar and was surprised at how comfy it actually is.  talk about low action potential.  this should be a crazy good player.

Not quite 1 piece! So close though. I used the remaining wood that I had cut around the neck section for the 'wings'.

I don't seem to have had many problems with Wenge, although I think that because Ive read so many horror stories about the splinters etc that I have been quite careful with it. This piece in particular cut quite nicely. The Ziricote on the other hand...

Yes Im looking forward to stringing this up...an easily achievable low action is one of the aims with this build.

Im probably putting some small fret markers on this.

12 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Not quite 1 piece! So close though. I used the remaining wood that I had cut around the neck section for the 'wings'.

I don't seem to have had many problems with Wenge, although I think that because Ive read so many horror stories about the splinters etc that I have been quite careful with it. This piece in particular cut quite nicely. The Ziricote on the other hand...

Yes Im looking forward to stringing this up...an easily achievable low action is one of the aims with this build.

Im probably putting some small fret markers on this.

right on.  did a nice job matching the grain.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All strung up with the glu boost on. Just making a panel for the back now...ofcourse me routing for a trem left an annoying hole...I changed the bridge plate for a spare piece of Ziricote, looked classier to me and gave me chance to add a little logo. 

Hope everyone is well!

4009FC1E-6595-41AC-88F0-32C4F7F5ACB8.jpeg

1D1A68B2-7A76-4DC2-8EE5-0F0A82F9F4E5.jpeg

• Like 3