Cut Horn Acoustic Hybrid

MiKro

HI all,

Let's start with the new Cut Horn Hybrid Acoustic/Electric. It is still in prototype at this point. The body blank is 15 pieces of Nogal ( peruvian walnut) that was scrap. I cut all to size on the table saw and did the glue up. After that it went to the CNC for surfacing then on to the rouging of the body cavity. After that went to finish cut the body cavity minus cutting out the control panels. I cut the top from a mistake in book match from one I planned to use on the CH Bass, the current sound hole is not to final size. It fits nicely. It already has a great tap tone.

Next will be, on to making the sound hole insert, braces, and under saddle plate. The will make the bridge plate and finish cutting the pocket to match a few of my extra necks I have. Once that is done then will continue with the electric process of this one.

where it is going.

acou5a.thumb.jpg.4be7405a578346643501c3c1f2938fab.jpg

Where it started yesterday and where it is today.

1nogal_blank .jpg

2blank_nogal.jpg

3roughin1.jpg

4topinset1.jpg

topfirstfit1.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

That's flippin' cool, how thick is the top? Are you going to be bracing it or doing any kind of reinforcement under the bridge? 

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Here is my design, it will have arch top type bracing ( they will most likely get shaped as well) . The top will end up at 0.1875 thickness. The bridge will change as that one design did not work well in my tests. There will also be an under the top plate about 0.125" under the bridge saddle area.

acoustic_wbridge1a.jpg

• Like 4

"How to build a hollowbody guitar" by MiKro: Take a computer, do some coding, take a blank, let the computer carve it. Glue together. Voilà! Simple as a childrens' puzzle!

Or not...

There's features that look obvious in the image, however I wouldn't never have thought about creating them such as the slots for the braces or the collars for the back plates. So the book should start with something like: Study physics, maths, materials etc., learn how to code, get some serious machinery, learn how to set them up, waste a lot of material in learning etc...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

"How to build a hollowbody guitar" by MiKro: Take a computer, do some coding, take a blank, let the computer carve it. Glue together. Voilà! Simple as a childrens' puzzle!

Or not...

There's features that look obvious in the image, however I wouldn't never have thought about creating them such as the slots for the braces or the collars for the back plates. So the book should start with something like: Study physics, maths, materials etc., learn how to code, get some serious machinery, learn how to set them up, waste a lot of material in learning etc...

Well yes there is that Bizman, Now as far as the witchery of this, I do have the skills and the time. Yes, I have made guitars by hand. This is an extension of using the best tools I have to produce the best product, if I can, in the hope it will be a great piece and repeatable. Not unlike the Big Boys who have plenty of money to do this in R&D, I have to make do with what I have.

It is no secret that all you said is true. I do have an Engineering Degree. I still study physics, quantum mechanics and other math as learning is always a plus for anyone. This project is based more on the Helmholtz Theories.

What is going to really bake your noodle with this one, is soon I will be cutting the entire back open to access certain parts so I can refine things. Making it something I can remove and replace at will for testing. All while using acoustic software and hardware to see the results of the changes I make to get the most out of this small volume of a chamber with hopefully a reasonable bass response.

Yes, it is Science and one of the most fun projects I have taken from my head for many years and moving forward with it. :)

MK

p.s.

In the interim of time while this project moves forward I will most likely make this style as an electric only offering as well. :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MiKro said:

What is going to really bake your noodle with this one, is soon I will be cutting the entire back open to access certain parts so I can refine things. Making it something I can remove and replace at will for testing. All while using acoustic software and hardware to see the results of the changes I make to get the most out of this small volume of a chamber with hopefully a reasonable bass response.

Love that approach.  Can't wait :)

• Like 1

Oh, goddamnit! I found a grammatical error in my previous post, a double negative!

Nevertheless, there's lots to like in that project. No gal can resist the peruvian valnut! Guess I'll have to copy that design someday...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Oh, goddamnit! I found a grammatical error in my previous post, a double negative!

Nevertheless, there's lots to like in that project. No gal can resist the peruvian valnut! Guess I'll have to copy that design someday...

<snip> " however I wouldn't never have thought " <snip>

LMAO!!!

• 1 month later...

As life has changed everyone lately, 🙂 I managed to get in the shop today and remove the back of the CTH acoustic hybrid. I now only have to make a temp back that will be held on by 20 screws so I have the ability to remove it and test processes to improve bass response. 🙂

I will be using a calibrated mic and TrueRTA analyzer software combined with my oscilloscope to produce (hopefully) the best response for this body volume and size.

I know the pictures suck. LOL!!

Thanks

MK

removing_the_back1.jpg

backremoved1.jpg

backdrilled.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MiKro said:

As life has changed everyone lately, 🙂 I managed to get in the shop today and remove the back of the CTH acoustic hybrid. I now only have to make a temp back that will be held on by 20 screws so I have the ability to remove it and test processes to improve bass response. 🙂

I will be using a calibrated mic and TrueRTA analyzer software combined with my oscilloscope to produce (hopefully) the best response for this body volume and size.

Thanks

MK

removing_the_back1.jpg

backremoved1.jpg

backdrilled.jpg

if feel drunk.  also, like the labor intense approach to getting it right: good for you.

hope you are taking care of yourself (better than I am anyway!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

if feel drunk.  also, like the labor intense approach to getting it right: good for you.

hope you are taking care of yourself (better than I am anyway!)

Doing as well as expected Mike, thanks for asking we are staying out of trouble and away from others.

mk

• Like 1

Damn, my Old Tek 420a Oscillosope died the other day. The Power supply just crapped itself. Parts are non existent. 😞

I bought a new Siglent digital 100mhz scope. I found a hack for it to make it a 200mhz scope.  Saves me a few hundred dollars. 🙂

mk

• Like 1