Cut Horn Acoustic Hybrid

MiKro

2 hours ago, Norris said:

An oscilloscope is not something I'd considered for my toolkit, let alone supercharging it!😄

To be honest, a 400mhz would most likely be better for what I need to do. I will be using a Piezo accelerometer to measure vibrations with as well as a mic for sound frequency. Since the Piezo is high impedance, to get the best clip of the wave as it is triggered it would be better. I will make do with what I have though.  🙂

mk

HA!! I fixed my vac bag problem. It had a small leak. OOPS, I pulled down too much vacuum during a test and sucked the top in. LOL!!!! Too funny.

Now to repair that, it cracked the sound port as it pulled it inwards. :)

Easy fix though and now I know only to pull about 13-14 inches of vacuum. :) LMAO!! That was too funny watching it cave in, wish there had been a camera on my face, I am sure it was priceless watching me crap myself while flipping valves to relieve the pressure.

mk

• Like 1

So now that the top is glued up, I realize that I should have put some radius in the braces. Knowing that radiused braces may be called for, I was hoping that flat might work. Not what I hoped for, they did cave some, so after testing this for bass response the next prototype will have some radius put in to the top braces to counter that problem. 

It does have a nice tap tone though. Next to add a neck and figure the bridge location for sound test and bass response improvement. then on to the Proto #2

mk

Now that was interesting! So radiused braces are required to get a flat top which would be concave with flat braces?

Not a wasted day, learned something new!

Another question: What will happen to the protos? Firewood?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Now that was interesting! So radiused braces are required to get a flat top which would be concave with flat braces?

Not a wasted day, learned something new!

Another question: What will happen to the protos? Firewood?

Yes that is what it seems at the moment @Bizman62. One thing I did not do was use carbon fiber in my braces which is what I intend to do at some time.  That may mitigate the problem? Will need to test it.  I know from building acoustics that bracing usually has some radius. Yes they will end up as firewood. LOL!!

mk

• 1 month later...

Been a while on this project. Tests are semi complete.  Some good data, but changes to be made. Next step is to start another one with enhancements that will resolve some weaknesses as well as some acoustic anomalies.

This one is now ready for the burn pile.

Note:  Never use Nogal ( Peruvian Walnut ) in a quarter-sawn configuration, It splits terribly under stress, including using screws.

The G2 version will use a hard-tail bridge as I think I have resolution to the issue of torsion in a thin floating top plate.

I will be doing a redesign in the bridge area to counteract torsion and use a hard-tail bridge. It will be based on a Breedlove bridge torsion rod system. This appears to be a positive way for me to accomplish the look and structure that I am going for. :)

Until next session, Be safe  :)

MK

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MiKro said:

This one is now ready for the burn pile.

😪 For a test piece that was way too beautiful for ending up as firewood but what else can you do if it doesn't do what it was meant to? Except adding a hook for hanging on the wall and installing a $2 clock mechanism...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bizman62 said:

😪 For a test piece that was way too beautiful for ending up as firewood but what else can you do if it doesn't do what it was meant to? Except adding a hook for hanging on the wall and installing a $2 clock mechanism...

@Bizman62,I agree, but it all came from scraps, so no real loss. :)

MK

• Like 1