Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

Electronics and wiring are my weakest points in the build process......BUT I GOT IT!  The pots are fine. The trouble was in the Gibson style toggle switch by Switchcraft. I've used this style switch on about 10 builds. One one side of the switch there are three tabs and on the opposite side there is one.On the three tab side the outer tabs are for the leads from the pick-ups and the center tab is common, and the single tab on the opposite side is ground. And that's how I wired it. After chasing continuity everywhere and re-wiring twice and finally pulling out another guitar and copying the wiring exactly, I kept coming up with continuity between hot circuits and ground. It turns out on this particular switch, the center tab was ground and the single tab on the opposite end was common. (Assuming my terminology is correct). Switching the wiring around to accommodate that, made Sissy sing!

OF course during that search I created three different beauty marks.....thanks for that term @Prostheta. that had to be polished out. Before I strapped on hardware, I couldn't see any swirl marks. It's tougher to achieve that with hardware in place.  You guys will never see any swirl marks....but now I do.

SR

• Like 3

Those switch craft toggles have caught me out a couple of times. I don’t like the fact the common pin is so close to the two pickup pins, not with my bodge wiring anyway. I think I’d agree, wiring is my weakest part, I get everything wired up and it looks super neat, then I realise something isn’t working, I end up removing and reattaching a few things then it looks like a dogs dinner. 

going back to switches, I’ve put a switchcraft  3 way toggle in the purple lp and it seems insanely sensitive, way more so than any switchcraft I’ve used before. It may get swapped 

1 hour ago, killemall8 said:

Scotty! That is pure insanity! I cant believe you get such a crazy good finish on the curves and in the tight spots. Immaculate!

Wellllllll, there are a couple of really tight spots that I couldn't reach as well as I wanted to,.....but thanks.

Speaking of finishes, yours have gotten truly amazing!

SR

Next stage would be to start carving your own pickup covers to blend into the body. Those P-90s look more suited than the humbuckers in this instance. Something in my head wants to say "trapeze" bridge with some sort of wooden inlay. Let's see if you can't get these terrible influences out of your mind for the next one. 

:bixby:

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Next stage would be to start carving your own pickup covers to blend into the body. Those P-90s look more suited than the humbuckers in this instance. Something in my head wants to say "trapeze" bridge with some sort of wooden inlay. Let's see if you can't get these terrible influences out of your mind for the next one. 

:bixby:

There's a thought, or two even....

SR

I just keep looking at them and shaking my head wondering how a) someone ever got the idea and b) the same someone has the skills to implement it. Stunning, simply stunning.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I just keep looking at them and shaking my head wondering how a) someone ever got the idea and b) the same someone has the skills to implement it. Stunning, simply stunning.

Very kind of you to say so.

Thanks you!

SR

16 hours ago, Workingman said:

These are so remarkable.  The design is so much not my cup of tea but they are so gorgeous.  .  My tastes have changed to where anything that is that well crafted just gets me.  

Thanks Nevin. Sometimes my designs are a bit polarizing. I think there is a loop running in my subconscious that says if it's been done already, why do it again? And I end up with ideas like these.....

SR

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 7:46 AM, Norris said:

It's not a good month for anyone else finishing a build, no matter how long they took! ;):D

Yours has got to be a contender for GOTY let alone GOTM!

It is definitely competitive this month! It reminds me of the days when I first joined and there'd be 8 or 10 to choose from and 9 of them could easily win every month.

Every one there when I threw my hat in could easily win.

You think I could borrow Dan to play a demo on this one too?:D

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, mistermikev said:

either 'sorry' or 'your welcome' that I haven't been visiting as much and am just now catching the final product here on the scroll... man that red... ooh lah lah!  Very nicely done sir!

Thank you sir. I've missed your witty commentary....

SR

• Like 1