Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

I used the neck pocket as my template to cut the pocket in the top.

DSC02853.JPG

I used a bottom guide bit that was just barely big enough for this fat top. I didn't worry about fitting the end of the fretboard, as it will go right into the pickup cavity.

DSC02854.JPG

I left the tenon just a little proud of the pocket to insure the glue up cauls get something to push against.

DSC02852.JPG

And they did.

DSC02855.JPGDSC02856.JPG

SR

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ACRosengrant said:

That is a LONG tenon.  Got me thinking maybe the one I'm planning is a tad inadequate. 🤣

It is not necessary for a good neck joint. I could give you a bunch of voodoo and mojo....but the bottom line is it makes me feel good knowing that long tenon sandwiched between the body and top is making the neck and body connection rock ass solid.:D

It is almost a neck through....

SR

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 10pizza said:

looking awesome ScottR! 

I have a similar piece of wood waiting for a build. Not looking forward sawing it in tops by hand like you did......

Why thank you sir!

Don't make that piece of wood wait too long. As far as cutting the top by hand, just think of it as a free workout. You can spend good money to burn the same amount of calories in a gym.

SR

59 minutes ago, Lumberjack said:

Beautiful work, I love to see your headstocks and volutes take shape!  Very satisfying to see those emerge with traditional hand tools.  Makes me wish I had a nice set of gouges!  

Thanks!

And go for it. It is indeed a very satisfying way to shape wood. You can get lost in it.

SR

The rabid beaver feeds!

Burl has good points and bad points when it comes to cutting out little scoops of wood. The good side is there is no big section of end grain to slog through at each end of the piece. On the bad side, each little cut has its own portion of end grain since it's all curled and spinning around on itself.

There are certainly easier and faster ways to shape a guitar top, but much like @komodo and his four score pieces of pearl, this is what gives me peace.

DSC02893.JPGDSC02895.JPGDSC02896.JPGDSC02897.JPGDSC02898.JPG

SR

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Do you keep all of these? Have you sold any?

I’m sure everyone gets this, as it’s the very first thing anyone asks when I show them something I’ve built: “so are you gonna sell it?” It always weirds me out that would be their first thought.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, komodo said:

I’m sure everyone gets this, as it’s the very first thing anyone asks when I show them something I’ve built: “so are you gonna sell it?” It always weirds me out that would be their first thought.

the people that have asked me that generally aren't players and would never buy one either, weird.

52 minutes ago, komodo said:

That is the first thing you hear isn't it? I've sold a couple, both built on commission. I have not built one and sold it after the fact. I'll have to learn how to do that some day. My boy has a couple, my brother's kids have one each and I have the rest..

My last build is always my favorite.

SR

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ScottR said:

The rabid beaver feeds!

Burl has good points and bad points when it comes to cutting out little scoops of wood. The good side is there is no big section of end grain to slog through at each end of the piece. On the bad side, each little cut has its own portion of end grain since it's all curled and spinning around on itself.

There are certainly easier and faster ways to shape a guitar top, but much like @komodo and his four score pieces of pearl, this is what gives me peace.

DSC02893.JPGDSC02895.JPGDSC02896.JPGDSC02897.JPGDSC02898.JPG

SR

I suspect that's what the block of marble the Michelangelo worked on looked like before David emerged from it.

True artistry, @ScottR