Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

I don't know whether your work makes me want to try to get closer to that level or quit all finer woodworking altogether! That's just breathtakingly stunning!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I don't know whether your work makes me want to try to get closer to that level or quit all finer woodworking altogether! That's just breathtakingly stunning!

Thank you, that is mighty kind of you to say so.

SR

I'm pretty sure I can hear @mistermikev loading up to tell me I should leave it with the matte finish...but if you look closely enough you can see some of the sanding scratches. And just rubbing dust off with a towel shows you how badly the lacquer wants to polish.

DSC03023.JPG

DSC03025.JPG

DSC03026.JPG

DSC03027.JPG

Now the weekend is past us and....

It's Decoration Day!

Here in the US it's a national holiday currently called Memorial Day.

But it originally was called Decoration Day.

And that is the title of one of my current favorite songs these days.

And that gives me something to listen to while I'm staying home

watching paint dry.

Cheers!

SR

• Like 2

Just now, ScottR said:

One day I'm going to have to try that.

SR

I think the sm thing.  I often look at my own builds and thing 'I should keep this one matte or maybe satin' - next thing I know it's gloss and there's no going back.  Someday!

Guitar is looking really great tho... don't want to distract from that.  I could stare at that thing all day.  Just lovely!  Take a bow!

23 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I like how I'm always so fashionably late to the party. So, making another one eh Scott? 😃

Well you made it in time for the excitement to begin. Nobody's been tossed in the pool yet.

And yes, I'm making a sibling to the first one. That way I'll have one with single coils and one with humbuckers.

SR

23 hours ago, ScottR said:

Well you made it in time for the excitement to begin. Nobody's been tossed in the pool yet.

And yes, I'm making a sibling to the first one. That way I'll have one with single coils and one with humbuckers.

SR

This style of yours has been refined into a real artform now Scott. Your background in carving and turning serves you well! Obviously since you know I love Carl Thompson's scroll basses, yours just hit the mark very easily.

The party seems to be flowing well. I really do insist on covering that pool as water doesn't do guitars much good.

• Like 1

It does share a theme with the Carl Thompson basses, doesn't it? I hadn't thought of that. Inspiration for this came from the classy little F-style mandolin.

How about if lock the guitars up till next weekend? Somebody really needs to be tossed into the pool....

SR

• Haha 1

I was going through the micromesh sheets, 3600-12000, expecting to take all weekend with a few hours left to do the final buffing.  I did 3600 and 4000 yesterday and today started with a wipe down using an old rag that had been used to buff with on the last build. It had dried buffing compound which I loosened with a brush and then added a bit of rotten stone to the rag. The rag is a sock terry side out and has a foam sanding block inside. That worked like magic. I used it between the last grits and the whole job took off like a rocket. I was done in a couple of hours. I think this is my best polishing job ever. I cannot see any swirl marks......though that may be my eyes. And I did zero powered buffing, just hand rubbed. I got so excited I decided to post a few shots while the neck is soaking in Danish oil.

What follows is a celebration of reflectance.

DSC03035.JPGDSC03036.JPGDSC03039.JPG

No oil on the neck in this shot.

DSC03041.JPG

Oil here.

SR

• Like 2