Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

The Carry On films were a series of British comedies from the late 50s to the early 70s, a good era of tele. I'd post a pic but there aren't many where Babs hasn't got her bangers out 

Damn! You guys did it better than us back in the day.

The Puritans left your county and came to ours ..... you want them back?

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sissy is fighting me a bit.:angry:

I got the string heights all adjusted where I want them and went to intonate....and I got no reading on my tuner. Plugged it in to the amp and no sound, not even a little buzz. I opened her back up and check all my wiring paths and solder joints. All matched the diagrams. So I wired a the hot wire from a pickup to the jack and left the ground chain in place as it all had continuity. Still no reading on my tuner but it played through the amp just fine....so that pickup is good. The tuner btw, works just fine with other guitars. I'm assuming my volume pot is bad. I do have this wired in a vintage manner as per Andy's Les Paul diagram he passed on to me a few years back. I'm going to rewire  it the more modern way, and test it, and try switching the volume and tone pots and see what happens. New pots are coming, but are a week out.

Is there a way to test a pot without sending a signal through it? Take an ohm reading perhaps?

SR

There's a number of faults that a pot can develop. Measuring across the track shows the maximum resistance, however it doesn't show any variations from the taper as the wiper tracks across it. The way to do that would be to either test resistance on a scope with a low timebase using the pot as a voltage divider, or just use it as a volume pot and see if the signal crackles or does anything weird when tracking.

7 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Measuring across the track shows the maximum resistance, however it doesn't show any variations from the taper as the wiper tracks across it. The way to do that would be to either test resistance on a scope with a low timebase using the pot as a voltage divider

Surely if you are using a multi-meter with an ohm setting, you can just turn the knob and see the sweep?  Certainly it's how I check which of mine are log and which are linear (because I always forget)

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Surely if you are using a multi-meter with an ohm setting, you can just turn the knob and see the sweep?  Certainly it's how I check which of mine are log and which are linear (because I always forget)

That is my plan, I figured I'd see something. I just don't know if it would tell me if the signal from the pick up is dying in the pot or not, because that is what seems to be happening.

SR

Depends if you're testing for faults in function or faults in the circuit. If a pot track tests say, 500k across the pot, 500k wiper to end fully open and 0k to the near tag, it should function in circuit normally even if there are issues mid-track.

• Like 1