building a new plane jig... would love your thoughts on fasteners...

mistermikev

so ordered some 1/8" thick 1" x 1" x 4' square steel stock for a new planing jig(probably won't be able to lift the damn thing).  my old one has a little bit of dip in the center over 3' with a little pressure and I wanted something that would go 4' long w/o dipping. 

on my old jig... I would just screw blocks into mdf to hold things.  freq screws + blocks + double sided tape.  On my new jig... I was thinking it might be worth it to do some reusable fasteners.

here's an image of something I thought would work well:

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm thinking something similar but putting some T bolts on the other side of the mdf and countersink a 3/8" bolt into the pivot fasteners.  Just wondering if I can get some input afa what sort of fasteners you've had good luck with?  other ideas?

It's quite a while since I last saw that design but I've always thought it to be genious.

Another simple method for fastening things quickly using holes in your workbench are holdfasts.

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

It's quite a while since I last saw that design but I've always thought it to be genious.

Another simple method for fastening things quickly using holes in your workbench are holdfasts.

right on.  the holdfast is sure a good idea but I don't think practical in this application since I'd be planing the top and don't want to avoid/hit anything.  i agree that the expanding circle is a nice idea.  I'd be a little concerned of it breaking loose which is why I'm thinking a t nut/bolt might be a more secure option.  will have to keep it low profile.

34 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I'd be a little concerned of it breaking loose

The wooden clamps with a similar off-centered circle work just fine, it's proven hi-tech from the past - and still alive!

4 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

The wooden clamps with a similar off-centered circle work just fine, it's proven hi-tech from the past - and still alive!

right on.  I'm told the holdfast is as old as workbenches.  I'm not aware if cam clamps are as old... but I love the low profile/tech nature.