new project

Too bad you're not a blues guy Wes, that there is a blues slide machine just waiting to happen. :D

'Woke up 'dis mornin', blues all 'round mah head, dah dee dee dee dummm...' B)

Or a good excuse to break out those spool clamps.

Can't ya hear it callin' to ya Wes?

"Spoolman, come together with your plan....save me" :D

well that is what it will be...it is going back to the owner when it is finished....but i will use it to study how to make my own out of better woods and with better electronics

some guy completely murdered it....but it has been played alot!

i am going to have to replace the fretboard because it has divots more than halfway through it

I believe what you have there is a Gibson ES 125, a grand old gal from Gibson.

And, I think yours is one of the VERY OLD ONES judging by the look of the P-90 pkp cover. The old ones had a weird 'very old' look to them, not like the newer ones did. I'd guess early '50's?

Look at the bottom 2 pics compared to the top 2. See how the pkp cover looks 'older'? It's slightly different, it's not just that is IS older (which it is) but is slightly different in design. Especially look at the last pic, doesn't yours have the exact same 'rounded corner, old looking' pkp cover as that one?

That pickup alone might be worth a few hundred dollars US currency, not to mention the cover too.

I had a 1957 ES 225TDC which was pretty similar to it, but with single-cutaway (florentine) and factory Bigsby. Rockabilly heaven baby.

On a more techniclar note, see those 2 braces running parallel down the top? That's called 'parallel' bracing the top, as opposed to any form of 'X-bracing'.

Can't X-brace a top that has pickup holes routed into it, so most archtops with pkps have exactly that...parallel bracing. Hopefully, the braces will run right under the feet of the bridge also, helps transmit string vibrations from the strings to the bridge to the top helping it vibrate and produce (mo' betteh') sound. The top of an acoustic instrument acts exactly like a speaker diaphragm.

Before you go hog wild on it, take pictures of any and all numbers or writing inside the top or bottom, no matter how faint they might be. Pickup too. Take good close-up pics of the pickup, wire too, and another with the cover off and any markings on the pkp too. All this stuff will help you ID it before you just rip it apart. Even a faint marking on the tailblock wood...any marks you see at all.

The Guitar Gods have shined their light on you today young man, you must have earned some heavy-positive Mojo lately. These things don't happen by accident y'know... :D

ES125BODY1.jpg

ES125FULL%20BODY.jpg

ES125OLDBODY.jpg

ES125OLDBODY.jpg

PKPSHOT.jpg

PS, now that we know it is the 'real thing', the Guitar Gods From On High will cast your soul into Hades itself (you probably would like that, eh? :D ) if you do anything except restore it to it's original condition as close as you can. She has been abused and mightily mistreated and is juz' lookin' for some sweet papa lovin'.

This is written into the guitar-building by-laws (read the fine print)

If you desecrate or mod it it any way unbefitting the grand old gal that she is, you will be labelled a 'hack-butcher' (you'd like that too I bet! :D ) for the rest of your guitar-building years. 4th paragraph, 5th sentence under the 'entitlements' section.

Don't believe me? Ask the staff.

Oh...you 'are' the staff... B)

Well, ask some of the other staff then!

The Guitar Gods have certainly entrusted you with one of their beloved daughters, show her some respect, eh?, she's walked a loooong road :D

That guitar was born very near the very beginnings of the movement we know as 'rock-n-roll'.

That's an inflated dealer price, not too realistic. :D

The only ones that get near $1000.00 are usually the single-cutaway models with original case in near-mint condition.

You can find decent ones like yours for $500-600. on the 'bay.

Oddly enough, I was looking for something like that a few months ago (that's why I was able to ID it so quick and had pics of it ready-to-go)and found a few beaters for more near $350.

If I remember right, I think AllParts.com has the widest variety of bridges, tailpieces, and whatnots that I've found.

It might have been Ebony, but usually they matched the bridge to the fretboard...rosewood fretboard, rosewood bridge...that was a student model, they normally would not have supplied an Ebony bridge on such a model, it would have been saved for the upper line models.

But if you are doing an Ebony fretboard, then I would use an Ebony bridge.