new project

Those old guitars sure got played alot. You sort of wonder how much magic was made on it over the last 50+ years, where some of the previous owners could be dead and gone by now.

The fretboard is worn to the same degree as that on my Fender Newporter. The Newporter still plays well. When I got the guitar it was in similar condition to this one. Luckily, the guy had a couple pieces of spruce for a replacement top so I just copied the bracing etc. of the old mahogany one.

So it looks like the Gibson has the original P90 non-adjustable pickup. I don't know about reconditioning the back and sides, there are a few holes here and there. You might have to opt for filling and then a solid paintjob. It looks like the guy who worked on it before you committed a little "bondocide" on the back anyway. But you might be able to leave the front as a burst finish. I'm glad to see there are still deals at garage sales. As far as I'm concerned 10 bucks for any Gibson is worthwhile. It almost makes me feel like getting up early on Saturday/Sunday mornings and cruising for old, nameless guitars that people want to get rid of...nahhhh :D . Have fun with it Wes!

Born under a bad sign

I磛e been down since I began to crawl

If it wasn磘 for bad luck

I wouldn磘 have no luck at all

Wine and women is all I crave

Big fat woman.

Who is going to carry me to my grave

Born under a bad sign

I磛e been down since I began to crawl

If it wasn磘 for bad luck

I wouldn磘 have no luck at all

Man, she's sure seen her better days!