Things You'd Do Differently

RacheRach

Understood what my ‘72 Marshall Super Lead was and how to use it rather than run my guitar into a Boss DS-1 and then into the amp. Nobody told be about jumpering channels, bias, tubes, etc. I bought it for $300 around 1979-80 and I sold it for $300 in ‘86. Now I can hardly think about it without 😢

• Like 1

I’ve been playing probably 20 years+.  

Tough question, probably try harder in a band.  I never put the effort in with my one and only band and fizzled out very quick after starting.  A band would have brought my playing on leaps and bounds.

I also wish I put more effort into ear training.  I’ve recently started trying to learn songs by ear and find it’s improved quite a bit.  

my first song learnt by ear a year ago was Van Halen Running with the devil.  much of the early Van Halen stuff I’ve found is relatively easy to learn by ear.  Being a four piece with one guitar featuring quite prominently it’s easier to hear the independent notes and chords.

Panama is so much fun to play, and again, relatively easy to pick out by ear.  I have no doubt that what I've learned has imperfections but it sounds good when played against a backing track.

I don’t get too pedantic about accuracy, most artists don’t play it the same live anyway.  I don’t bother to figure out if I’m on the right string either, as long as I’m hitting the right note and it feels right to play.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in college, I spent a lot of time playing video games... I regret I didn't use that time to teach myself to properly play the guitar. All I did was noodle along with Pink Floyd cd's etc and learn some songs for my band at that time. 

I've set myself a goal to invest some time in learning scales and learning to improvise with them. Also I want to improve my technique. I've become a member of Paul Gilbert's Rock Guitar School at Artistworks as I've decided to focus on rock style guitar playing in stead of wanting to do it all from blues to rockabilly to metal.

Also I'm using some stuff from Justin Guitar to learn and improvise with scales. 

Trying to do some practice each day nowadays.

I recently completed metal gear solid 5, and whilst it was a fantastic game, the end was so disappointing I felt I’d wasted all of the spare time I put into it.  Such a deflating feeling, which is what made me go back to building a guitar again.  
I couldn’t face another winter going through with nothing to show for it! 

now that spring is upon us ive started playing assassin creed unity.  I kinda feel it should be the other way round.  I should build in summer and play vid games in winter😏

have to save the pennies though to get through this Coronavirus since the wife had to close her business temporarily.  If the government small business grants come through I might be able to do something in the cheap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...