Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Sign in to follow this  
norm barrows

humbucker in parallel vs single coil

would a humbucker in parallel be similar to a no-hum single coil?

it would still be bright like a single coil, because the first coil's signal is not going through the second coil.

and it would be lower output due to parallel vs series - similar to a lower output single coil.  i guess the signals average instead of add.  i don't recall its been so long since electronics shop  in high school.

but it would still cancel hum, due to the RWRP coil.

does this make sense?

i'm working on the new electronics for the x-4.  i'm not sure i like the coil split pot idea.    and a coil split switch might as well be labeled "bright / nohum"   you can choose bright tone with hum, or not bright tone with no hum.

but parallel would get you both bright and no hum, correct? albeit at a lower volume - but that's what big, expensive, powerful, clean amps are for.

My experience is that Parallel sounds a bit like Single Coil but not quite. So to my mind I just do the Single Coil split. Parallel is a good sound but there are so many variations that you have to draw the line somewhere

Doug

Guess i'm about to find out.   

I just finished soldering the four wire humbucker on the x-4 to a DPTT (double pole, triple throw) on-on-on series/parallel/coilsplit switch. 

next step is to string it back up and gator clip the hot and ground terminals on the switch to a wireless plugged into the amp and see what happens. 

Parallel has more treble, cause the second coil no longer acts as a choke on the first coil's signal.

But the signals no longer add like they do in series - i think they average - or some formula similar to resistors in parallel - should look it up.   The net result is less bass in parallel.  apparently the second coil is not big enough to choke off lower frequencies, just the highs in normal series mode.  So you get more bass:   coil 1 + coil 2, with no choking. 

And of course you get hum canceling in all cases except coil split.