Voting for March 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

Sign in to follow this  
norm barrows

The STAR WARS guitar

A steinburger spirit clone kit from ebay.

like something you'd see in STAR WARS.

Gloss white finish, black hardware, maybe some flashing LEDs.

IMG_20200321_201408.thumb.jpg.95fae6bbcab55dbc9fcb6d3ba1c2424d.jpg

Then the flashing LEDs idea became a small spectrum analyzer.    The part has been purchased.

Then it seemed a shame to mod a nice steinburger spirit (its a decent clone kit).

So no spectrum analyzer or LEDs,  just a nice black and white steinburger spirit clone.

The only mod would be a T hanger.

So i began to fit the neck.  Clearance was a bit tight, so i sanded the sides of the pocket as needed...

IMG_20200321_201728.thumb.jpg.92c7a3ab88560746e37f2ee4440b8255.jpg

And the sides of the neck a bit too.    Unfortunately, I cut through the paint slightly, so I guess it back to the paint shop.    I'm really getting sick of this paint shop BS!

IMG_20200321_202532.thumb.jpg.8ad33cad499a468aa5bed2d180a761fd.jpg

While dealing with painting the hardware for "The Rose",    I discovered that all flat black and all gloss white look pretty good as finishes.   I was thinking of doing a build of a set of twin guitars in all flat black and all gloss white.     But for an all white guitar build, which i had also been thinking about, why not combine that with this build?   Kill two builds with one guitar.   Have my Steinberger Spirit clone, and my all white guitar.

So the whole dang thing's going back to the fricking paint shop!  (pardon my french <g>).

I guess i'll re-squirt the neck, then be more careful if I have to sand it back any.     And squirt the hardware.     Then assemble.

This will take a while.     rustoleum gloss enamel has a minimum drying time of 24 hours under optimal conditions.  but if you can avoid runs, its a really nice enamel - for a rattle can paint.

And here i thought it was finally ready for assembly.  I don't even remember how many times i squirted this thing and sanded it back, due to runs, marks, or contaminants.  its was in the paint shop for at least 2 weeks - probably longer.

Are you trying to get a perfect paint job just spraying? I just finished a body with Rustoleum rattlecan and can tell you it’s near impossible. But after prime + 2 coats of semi-gloss i had some dust and 2 very small runs...but I wet sanded that 1000-5000 grit then polished with car stuff—-and I am shocked at how good the results are. 

14 hours ago, JayT said:

and I am shocked at how good the results are. 

Works great on hot rods too!   

FYI, they make a clear enamel too.      Just as persnickity, but the same kind of results in a clear.

When it came time to find a tough paint that would stick to the hardware for "The Rose", rustoleum was my first choice.  It really is a decent enamel.   But like all enamels it can be difficult to work with - thick, dries slowly, prone to runs, solvents required for cleanup.  But it does have good self leveling performance, and can fill pinholes as well, and excellent coverage with no basecoat. Excellent resutls are possible, but only with care and some effort - and a LOT of patience! <g>.

Edited by norm barrows

Back to the paint shop!

First coat on the neck covered the sand-through nicely.     Terrible waste of a rosewood fretboard.  Too bad the kit didn't come with an all maple neck.

IMG_20200322_123320.thumb.jpg.36d8e0e04f5556bb9a71134aee413db8.jpg

Every plate, screw, washer, and nut gets the whammy - even the trem and the saddles.   If so much as a screwhead shows, it gets squirted.

IMG_20200322_123351.thumb.jpg.428b610097d935ab6ae484ec85cd9aaf.jpg

IMG_20200322_123414.thumb.jpg.28098ed7689a3440c01f0fca746d1111.jpg 

looks like these fone cams aren't exactly ultra high shutter speed.   and there does not seem to be a way to turn off auto focus!

So everything was sprayed on Sunday morning.   It dried all day Sunday.  Monday morning, everything was dry except for the fretboard.     As of Tuseday morning, the fretboard was still tacky - after 48 hours drying time.     And this was just one light coat - not even full coverage.   And the fretboard was not oiled or anything like that.       We've had a lot of rain.   Guess its time to hang it over the heater. 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, norm barrows said:

Terrible waste of a rosewood fretboard.  Too bad the kit didn't come with an all maple neck.

Possibly mask off the fretboard when you spray your next project?  Probably too much work to sand all that paint off the fretboard at this point.  Are the frets very tall?  Might have a bit of trouble if you build a lot of opaque coats on the board if they're short frets, as the finish will come up fairly high relative to the crown of the frets - fingernails digging into the finish and such.   Maybe not though!  I have had rough luck trying to spray paint metal hardware, usually flakes off of the saddles and tuners and such where you have moving parts or parts touching the strings.  Either way hope it turns out well for ya.  

5 minutes ago, Lumberjack said:

Possibly mask off the fretboard when you spray your next project?

The fretboard was masked off when I painted the neck.     I didn't squirt the fretboard until Sunday once I had decided to go all white for everything - including the fretboard.   

11 minutes ago, Lumberjack said:

Might have a bit of trouble if you build a lot of opaque coats on the board if they're short frets, as the finish will come up fairly high relative to the crown of the frets - fingernails digging into the finish and such.   Maybe not though!

I've done a number of lacquered fretboards already.    Buildup is not an issue there.    Enamel should be similar.  The ebay kits and necks i'm dealing with look to be medium frets i guess? about 1.5mm tall, not jumbo width.     The lacquer does not build as fast as the enamel 6+ coats vs probably 3.    I just put a second coat of enamel on the fretboard.    Hiding and coverage is almost perfect.   So three coats may do it.

17 minutes ago, Lumberjack said:

I have had rough luck trying to spray paint metal hardware, usually flakes off of the saddles and tuners and such where you have moving parts or parts touching the strings.

That is to be expected at friction points.   Those surfaces should be left uncoated, or the paint carefully removed from the contact point, so it doesn't take additional paint with it when it chips off.   If it just wore out under the strings and you couldn't see it, it wouldn't matter.  its only when it takes visible nearby paint with it that you notice.   

So for example, only the top, front, and back of the saddles were painted white.  Any overspray on the sides, which are press fit into the trem, will be sanded back to bare metal.   The string grooves in the saddles will also be filed/sanded clear of paint.  So the saddles will be bare silver metal on the contact areas, and white elsewhere.  Paint will also need to be removed from the nut grooves, and the frets.  When squirting the hardware, i was careful to not paint too much of the threads of screws, such as the tuner knobs.    But much of this may be overkill.   Rustoleum is VERY tough paint.  I'm using a locking nut and nohead trem, so the saddles are the only contact point with any possible motion.   And that's only from using the trem in an extreme manner.   The paint might well survive that - at least for a few years.    If you want longer - there's always anodizing.

2 hours ago, norm barrows said:

I've done a number of lacquered fretboards already.    Buildup is not an issue there.    Enamel should be similar.  The ebay kits and necks i'm dealing with look to be medium frets i guess? about 1.5mm tall, not jumbo width.     The lacquer does not build as fast as the enamel 6+ coats vs probably 3.    I just put a second coat of enamel on the fretboard.    Hiding and coverage is almost perfect.   So three coats may do it.

Ah, maybe I should just cut my fingernails more often - I tend to snag them on finished boards when the frets are shallow.  To each his own, and best of luck!  Are you gunna have black pickups or go white with those as well?  You mentioned Star Wars and this build is sort of reminding me of a storm trooper 

The original idea was black and white storm trooper look, with flashing LEDs.     Then the LEDs became a spectrum analyzer...

IMG_20200324_182610.thumb.jpg.8a59d4027cb32e6d33289aa6612941b2.jpg

IMG_20200324_182649.thumb.jpg.c333a58ecd4f0f9be280ba8d75625413.jpg

Mini-0-96-inch-OLED-Music-Spectrum-Display-Analyzer-PC-power-Amplifier-Audio-Level-Indicator-music.thumb.jpg.004ae82fe58c2e68964a556cb16ed206.jpg

Then I decided to simply make it a Steinberger Spirit clone in white with black hardware.    

And then I decided to make it ALL white.