Voting for March 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

Hey all

I've been wanting to create my own custom model for a while and recently I got some wood and starting designing my own shape.

very, very hard. I ended up loaning some nice things of various guitars I like (see If you can identify them 😉 )

anyway, hope to get started on building soon. Good thing is I have most of the parts needed, so not much acquisition needed.

here's two pictures of the design process.

First one didn't leave enough room for the neck cavity , a bit too quick drawing the pickups. Second has a neck cavity drawn with AANJ.

hope to create a template somewhere this week.

design 01.jpg

design 02.jpg

• Like 2

That shape looks surprisingly similar to mine!

As for the template, depending on what you're going to use for cutting, all you may need is scissors. Look at my template at

Thanks Norris, I feel guilty not being here that much, but with 2 little kids, 2 jobs and running a guitar service shop as a hobby I find my time quite limited for visiting .... 🙄

@Bizman62 the upper part has similar lines indeed! Looking good! Hope you believe I didn't nick that part from you!

The lower part is actually Mosrite inspired, I always like the asymmetrical shape of that guitar.

a few weeks ago I got me a nice Metabo band saw. Will use that with some MDF to make my template. There will be some new things to find out in this build though: carving, designing a headstock. Not sure about the electronics yet either.

10 hours ago, 10pizza said:

the upper part has similar lines indeed! Looking good! Hope you believe I didn't nick that part from you!

Heh, I've come to the conclusion that there's not too many unused variations left in guitar building as long as we have the strumming arm resting on the lower bout and a leg under the waist area to keep the guitar from wandering if we play in a sitting position. Standing up obviously eliminates the need of the latter but the need for balance emphasizes.

• Like 1

I don't see this fingreboard detail on your 2nd drawing, are you losing that?

1539258970_ScreenShot2020-03-24at9_12_28AM.png.fec0ab99783785a6252bd6ed89cff445.png

Very cool detail I thought. 

I still might do it, just didn't draw the fretboard in the second drawing 

Will try to draw a neck and headstock this week 

Designing the headstock, trying hard not to copy an existing shape. Before I get a cease and desist order from someone 

IMG_20200326_161527_784.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, 10pizza said:

I still might do it, just didn't draw the fretboard in the second drawing 

Will try to draw a neck and headstock this week 

Yes - I agree with @JayT  The extension is a neat feature 🙂

Ok, that's settled then. It will be added. Thx for the feedback guys😁

• Like 1

I'l have to put on a different trussrod in that case. Was going for a wheel adjustable rod at the body. 

I have another rod somehwere, I can use that. We'll see.