Entry for May 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Sign in to follow this  
mistermikev

So... bandsaw blades...

so my name is mike v and I can't resaw to save my life.  with that in mind I bought a wood slicer to do a last ditch attempt at this. 

haven't resawn anything yet... but I just cut a v in my neck blank (long story) and I gotta say... this thing cuts like butta.  I have a few other blades... nothing too expensive but there is some timberworlf in there... just a 1/4" blade.  I use that to cut profiles and such and it cuts nice... but NOWHERE near as smooth as this wood slicer. 

for $35ish... pretty happy.  I will eventually be attempting some resaw with it... don't have anything I need right now... but I suspect this is going to be a game changer. 

so... for anyone looking for a solid bandsaw blade that cuts incredibly smooth - and for dirt cheap... this is it.

I'm not great with the bandsaw in general and resawing is no exception. I've only got a 10" bandsaw anyway so I never resaw anything taller than a 3" neck blank with it. A 1/2" over a 1/4" does make a significant difference although I expect a lot of it is down to switching over to a brand new sharp blade and fact that you've just recalibrated the saw with a blade changover probably has something to do with it too.

Today I'm having a beastly new machine delivered so I'm looking forward to cutting neck lams on a table saw instead of my little band saw :D 

bestcombi2000.thumb.jpeg.799640793b5b043ba11afdbeb57ecbe6.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I'm not great with the bandsaw in general and resawing is no exception. I've only got a 10" bandsaw anyway so I never resaw anything taller than a 3" neck blank with it. A 1/2" over a 1/4" does make a significant difference although I expect a lot of it is down to switching over to a brand new sharp blade and fact that you've just recalibrated the saw with a blade changover probably has something to do with it too.

Today I'm having a beastly new machine delivered so I'm looking forward to cutting neck lams on a table saw instead of my little band saw :D 

bestcombi2000.thumb.jpeg.799640793b5b043ba11afdbeb57ecbe6.jpeg

well, yes, always setting up the bandsaw makes a dif... and new blade too... but there is something different going on with this blade.  I don't want to sound like an advertisement... but the varied tooth spacing and kerf really do result in less vibration.  I don't know how long it will maintain it... but it is seriously smooth.  nothing like when I put a brand new timberwolf on.  The timberwolf cut well... and you could feed it really fast... but it wasn't smooth like this.

tablesaw... noice.  I have come so close to buying a table saw on so many occasions... really is the most versatile tool one could have.  I always pull back at the last moment because I remind myself it is also the most dangerous... I'm holding out for a sawstop!  that looks pretty heavy duty and the color scheme is bang on!  (go pack go)