Entry for August 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

Sign in to follow this  
norm barrows

The Electric Guqin

The Electric Guqin

What the heck is a Guqin?

Basically, a Guqin is a 7 string fretless baritone acoustic laptop/slide guitar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guqin

I first learned of the existence of this ancient Chinese "guitar" from my Youtube recommendations...

Then I learned a bit about how they were built...

I decided to get one - assuming they weren't insanely expensive.

I found a nice basic Guqin on Ebay for something like $238.   I placed the order in late February.  The Guqin was due by early May.  In March or April, tracking reported as delivered when it wasn't.   The vendor said they would re-ship.   May came and no Guqin.   So  I ordered another somewhat nicer one from a different vendor, with the fastest shipping available, but still under $500 total.  I figured the better the shipping, the better the chance of it showing up at all.   I was right.  On June 3rd I got a notice I had a package at the post office.   When I went the next day to pick it up, I discovered I had TWO packages....

IMG_20200604_134659.thumb.jpg.e29ae563fc91643c423b658839fc5715.jpg.

That's right - both the original Guqin ordered feb 24th, and the one ordered may 9th arrived on june 3rd.

So far all I've managed to do is get the big one on the left tuned up.   Tuning up the little guy is next.

This is the piezo kit that was not used in the red guitar build, plus a bar piezo I got for The Oriental, before I decided to go hotrail on that build.    I'll be installing it (somehow) in one of the Guqins, most likely the larger one (more room to work with).  I will start with mockups and tests and temporary installations (IE tape), before i do things like drill for jacks and piezo EQ mounting screws.  In general, I suspect a "low impact" approach to the mods will be the best way to go..

IMG_20200604_173229.thumb.jpg.a5e843dd940c08dfd73df751c176589c.jpg

Edited by norm barrows

First tests are not promising.    The mic works, but is not loud.  Feedback is an issue, but can be controlled with the EQ.   The mic's frequency response curve has a lot of treble and upper mid, with almost no bass.  With the addition of a booster pedal and an EQ pedal it might be ok.  But I'm starting to think full range recording mic of some sort.

IMG_20200607_175200.thumb.jpg.56451f5ee3b069fa482e9dda760099d6.jpg

Edited by norm barrows