put veneer on it... that's what I always say...

3 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Looks great....an like they sound great too.

SR

thank you sir.  their not amazing or anything... but I've gotten used to their shortcomings so... they work pretty good for me.  Really want something with ribbon tweeters... and it's on my list... someday! 

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Those veneric speakers sure now have some wood in their sound!

yup, I have improved them by adding quality tonewood.  they sound so much better now... esp in the highs.  Tone transfer is unbelievable!  (jk)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

Tone transfer is unbelievable!  (jk)

As far as I know the most common woods used in loudspeakers are chipboard and MDF which are fine since they're acoustically stable and neutral. Yet back in the 70's a friend bought a pair of HiFi speakers (Akai???) made of wood (or at least a thick veneer on the surface) and the marketing jargon was similar to the tonewood debate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

As far as I know the most common woods used in loudspeakers are chipboard and MDF which are fine since they're acoustically stable and neutral. Yet back in the 70's a friend bought a pair of HiFi speakers (Akai???) made of wood (or at least a thick veneer on the surface) and the marketing jargon was similar to the tonewood debate.

I've built quite a few speaker boxes and nowadays it's the inverse of the tonewood argument.  they say that mdf is superior to hardwood or plywood because it doesn't resonate.  that said... lots of hifi guys build using hardwood.  all the fender amps were originally pine.  I've got a deville that I converted to a head / cab combo... all pine 4x10 and all pine 1x15.  that thing is the cleanest amp on earth.  sounds great. 

cornford builds all solid pine cabs.  mesa does a number of fancy solid wood cabs.  but all the studio monitor mfg using mdf.  these are mdf. 

personally I think solid wood is more rigid and that works to an advantage on smaller cabs.  I'm not sure it wouldn't be a problem on a 4x12 unless you really braced it well.