Walnut Project

mdw - for your reference, I have the PRS Factory DVD.

Here's the finish process:

They rub the color stain into the wood with a rag.

They spray 2 or 3 coats of a (the tour guy says polyester, though i've never heard of a polyester finish myself) color on it, followed by a sealer coat.

They then sand through the surface down until theres only a couple mm's of finish on it.

They then spray a top coat of color on it.

Spray a couple of coats of clear coat finish on.

They wet sand with 320 grit sandpaper until the surface "looks like a sheet of glass."

Buff out all tiny imperfections.

If that's too much, Drak knows a book that he used to learn to finish, that you might look into.

Yes, that's the book.

The book didn't teach me 'how to' finish, but more it taught me 'about finishes', their properties, good and bad traits, formulations, etc...

I got most of my finishing chops from Dan Erlewine's videos, 'Spray Finishing Basics', and 'Spray Finishing W/ Colors', which come together as a set from Stew-Mac.

That and a few hundred coats along the way...

I think those videos are very well done and I'd recommend them to anyone over a book. Don't get me wrong, I like books too, but the videos are just very well done and worth it to see everything live in action if you're just getting started. They answered a million questions for me.

They have released a new set since I got mine years ago, the new ones are probably even better, they try to stay up-to-date with today's products and techniques. I owe an awful lot to Mr. Erlewine. :D