Introducing...drumroll please :)

Hey, everyone. I've only posted here a couple of times, but I have been lurking in the background picking up some hints and tricks. I have to say, that this is a great site, and some of the work you guys do on guitars is very inspiring.

I decided about a month ago that I was going to give my 84 Destroyer a total makeover for her birthday in January. I had been looking at the floral Jems, and liked the fact that they had fabric finishes. It opened up my eyes to a world of possibilities. That's when I came across this site. It had everything I needed to know to do this.

This is what she looked like before:

dt155a.jpg

See, I had done a slight makeover on her a couple of years ago, and was kind of inspired then by a combination of Gibson's Gothic Explorers (flat paint, all black hardware) and Spider-Man. I ended up with a flat black Destroyer with a gloss black web. Here's a pic of that incarnation:

Destroyer_B4.JPG

Anyway, I went for a fabric finish with a black "poor man's burst". The back and sides were painted with "spatter paint" that you use for car trunks and then painted over with gloss black spray paint. I love the texture, because it looks cool, is easy to finish and it keeps the guitar from sliding around on your lap too much B)

I was going to do a 3D type of inlay of the Jem vine variety, but gave up after cutting out the first piece of acrylic. What I ended up doing was cutting out the pattern, then filled it back in with epoxy that I had mixed with a darkish red metallic car touch-up paint. It's not the best, but it's my first time, so...

For the headstock, I made my own Ibanez logo using those clear address labels for injet printer. You can't really tell that good from the picture but it's red, and it almost looks pearlescent in sunlight.

Well, now that I've typed your eyes ot, here are the pics of the final product. Hope you like it :D

destroyer1.JPG

destroyerneck.JPG

destroyerhead.JPG

destroyerback.JPG

Thanks for looking, guys :D

Skot