Greatest riffs ever

natethegreat86

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG....that really freaks me out. When to people realize that this riff was stolen from Iron Maiden's Killers CD?

thats soo true, i hate papa roach!! maiden are 10000000x the band roach are!! have you read the interview on it, where they are asked about the stolen riff... apparently it was being played on the piano by one of em and they thought it was cool, so they used it.... sure, sure!!

Arch Enemy - We Will Rise

Athiest - Why Bother

Black Label Society - Destruction Overdrive

Carcass - Heartwork

Children of Bodom - Needled 24/7

Deicide - Bible Basher

In Flames - Episode 666

Iron Maiden - The Trooper

Ok ill stop for now :D Too many great metal songs

megadeth the last duelin riff in shewolf

van halen the first riff to you really got me right after eruption, yes i kno it was written by the kinks but it just sounds so cool right after the end of the solo

metallica intro to ride the lightning, intro to seek and destroy

megadeth intro to loved to deth

thats all i can think of right now

MzI

Always With You Always With Me  by Satch.

i have just recently started learning some satch..i am working through that one right now...it is pretty cool

Me too, I'm having the worst time with the clean part in the beginning I can't keep it clean. I get string squeaks when sliding through the chord progressions :D

Yeah the riff in Last Resort was also in 7th son of a 7th son and some othe rplaces too, it was like a signature maiden kinda thing.

o and favs are crazy train, Superterrorizer by BLS, Cemetary Gates, and Satch's boogie is sick! o yeah and dark star by YNGWIE!!!!!!!! btw I heard Joe lynn turner say that Yngwie's real name is Lars . :D

I have an OLD video tape of Eric Johnson from "Austin City Limits."

I think I saw the same thing years ago (maybe around 1990 - 1992?). He was on some cable show with the name Austin in it. This was before I knew anything about him. Very impressive.

So the while "riff" thing - I always thought a riff was a rythm thing? So when you talk about songs like "Dark Star" and "Always With Me", does the lead guitar count as a riff or a "lick"? (great songs by the way). Who came up with these terms anyway?

I have an OLD video tape of Eric Johnson from "Austin City Limits."

I think I saw the same thing years ago (maybe around 1990 - 1992?). He was on some cable show with the name Austin in it. This was before I knew anything about him. Very impressive.

I was still in high school so it's was probably the 1985 one (look here for list of appearances.)

i thought i'd heard that sumwhere before ab out the whole iron maiden/last resort thing. i just didnt know if it was true or not. anyways, whichever it comes from it still sounds cool.

a couple more really easy ones that i just enjoy playing that are fairly new

espionage by greenday secret agent kinda sound. pretty cool

and the riff thing thats played during the intro to times like these by foo fighters(an AWSOME band!)

We'll when I think of riff, I think of mostly single note melodic patterns. So, with that in mind here are my top 5.

1. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses (Slash intro riff is simple but effective)

2. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin (One of Jimmy Page's best)

3. Enter Sandman - Metallica (Hetfield is king of riffs)

4. Ain't Talking Bout Love - Van Halen (no need to add comment)

5. Hells Bells - AC/DC (Angus breaks out the evilness .. lol)

Just my opinion though

A riff is any short repeating pattern single note or chords. And its even a riff if you use constant variations. However in the venacular, a riff is just a music passage of any form, ive even heard people refer to portions of a solo as a riff. Go figure.

And you may both be right about eric johnsons time date on austin city limits cuz i think he's done it twice. The more memorable is the one where he is wearing that dumb looking high school band jacket! hehehe EJ rips live, he does CLiffs of dover like 2 x faster its amazing to hear. Itll make your head spin!