a project with a difference

this is a finished project, though not quite the usual piece of carved wood + electronics B)

for my DT Graphic Products course i had to design something, so i naturally designed a guitar, using CAD, and this is the final result, this is how the CAM machine is gonna cut the model......

so i just wanted to get some feedback on this design and my CAD ability :D

and well just thoughts.......

ok, i chose to design a totally revolutionary guitar, that would take the guitar market by storm.... (remember since this is a design, more talk than actual implementation)...... its meant to be extremely versatile to appeal to players of ALL genres

so i made a new design, based on EVH's 5150; LP; Steinberger.......... this design features an active pickup& 3 band EQ (treble/mid/bass) system (p90-single-single-humbucker), MIDI pickup, and hidden piezo bridge pickup...... hence all the knobs....

neckthru, with woods / materials of your choice.....

26 fret...

roller nut; OFR with piezo saddles (note i know the scale length is hopelessly out........ but the teacher's dont know that, and it makes it look unusual, lets just assume its possible to get this kinda of weird long scale, where you can fit 2 plus octaves on a neck comfortably...)

also i did simply some things, like the bridge - i made something pretty close to a real FR, but there would have been no way the CAM machine could ahve cut tah, so i had simplify it........ but basically i'd like feedback on design, imaginary electronics, etc etc

also i've made it in two halves, as it is how the model wil be cut..... i have not put the two together yet as i am experiencing some problems with the CAD software, i'm gonna reinstall it on monday, so i'll post up how it looks with both sides joined...... i will also post a pic of how the machine has cut out the models on wax....

but this is all i have for now, so thoughts and opinions......... please!

:D

Roman

whole%20guitarbody.JPG

bridge%20closeup.JPG

nut%20close%20up.JPG

bottomhalf.JPG

backside.JPG

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

definately interesting. The bod is too straightlined/curved lone combo for me...maybe actually looks better in real life. But props...I think you got yer credits.

Recently I've been studying the guitar body to see why it appeals, and realized it is imaginary lines. it's lines that are crossing the body to connect curves and horns to make oval shapes, a few of them. it's hard to explain. But in my mind (no offense) it doesn't stick out as sexy, i cant connect flowing lines, and etc. it just looks like a blob.

But as far as your CAD work, very nice. You are definately good.

Sorry if I offended ya.

John

What CAD and CAM programs are you using?? It looks pretty good to me. only thing I can see is smoothing the heel out a little into non cut-away part. how long did this take you to make?? I have been messing with a guitar in PROE alittle but is nowhere near to being done. hmm makings me start thing bout build one and having it cut out. hmm or maybe rapid prototyping. if anyone gets a chance to done anything with rapid protoyping. Ill stop now but i like ur shape and it looks good.

If you do make this into an actual guitar (not just this design exercise) and you want this to be your, "be-all end-all guitar," you might want to do something like the Variax swap that Jeff Miller did (mentioned in this thread.) That'd save on the pick-up "clutter" problem... just use pick-ups not represented by the Variax electronics.

As for the Floyd Piezo elements, good luck finding (or making) them. They are available for the Wilkinson's though.

heh, thanks guys :D

renabilstic - thanks for your comments- please do not apologize, if anything i WOULD liek you to flame my design as long as long as you explain wy so i can do something about it...... i can see what you're saying and gotta admit i screwed up on the body shape somewhat...

i can take negative feedback, i dont go in the corner and cry - i analyze it and see where i've gone wrong, so thanks B)

CAD - ProDESKTOP - great stuff - got it free from my school! actually really great software, very powerful...... though hard to work with -

i have about 20 extrusions and 30 rounding/chamfering on the top half alone....

then i export it as Stereo Lithography File, to this this software called Windmill (i think) and what it does is converts the drawing to a series of commands / passes for the CAD machine to do...... then obviously the cutting.

i can see why there'd be problems with roller nut - but i couldnt be bothered to draw out the normal FR locking nut - extra hours of work but no extra marks! plus to examiners nut slots give a better visual idea anyway.....

idea is far-fetched, i mean scale-wise, bridge should be positioned between the second single and bridg humbucker....... and can you imagine all the electronics and wiring and shielded needed to put piezo, MIDI and 4 active pick-ups into the same circuit? :D dont forget the active EQ......

Variax idea is interesting, and i am having thoughts about using the actual body design (it looks much better on my manual paper drawings..... will post pic of that later) in some sort of project.......

oh and this took about a month to do

actually, if there is sufficient demand, and enough people using ProD or similar software, i could do tutorial on how to use CAD and create objects, technical drawing, albums, etc - so i'd like feedback about that too; but obviously there woudl need to be more than one or two people interested

but yeah its just all a bit of fun really, since no-one really knows how many strings a guitar has in my DT class anyway :D

(note i know the scale length is hopelessly out........ but the teacher's dont know that, and it makes it look unusual, lets just assume its possible to get this kinda of weird long scale, where you can fit 2 plus octaves on a neck comfortably...)

Wes, maybe you should read with a little more care :D

(note i know the scale length is hopelessly out........ but the teacher's dont know that, and it makes it look unusual, lets just assume its possible to get this kinda of weird long scale, where you can fit 2 plus octaves on a neck comfortably...)

Maybe you should phrase yourself with a little more care. I had to read that section a couple of times to understand what you meant B).

yeah i guess, my i get carried away in my thoughts, and dont always cathc up with typing;

:D

in case everyone did not get just what i was on about, i also offered to do CAD tutorial, if there is enough demand, etc

EDIT: i still do not make sense in the first sentence.

oh dear :D

this must be some sort of a disease B)

The PRODESKTOP is the a none licensed verison of PROE and u can get it for free of their website I think. the only thing is you are only suppose to use it for private use. so your guitar is all one part or is it any assembly?? Is this for a college course?? Have you tried to do any carve tops?? with like a blend?? lookign at this makes me more determaned to finish mine.

yep i missed it B)

oh well....but please watch the language...i had to edit that last post of yours.

yeah i speed read long posts and i missed that all 3 times i read it

sorry about the swearing...... :D

carved top sounds a great idea........ BUT

1) the way i made the CAD model, the top half is too thin to be made into a carved top

2) carving it properly would be very hard - not just straight forward chamfering of surfaces!

3) putting knobs onto a carved top would be a pretty big task, making everything flat, with no holes, etc.....

4) the machnine cuts in passes, which would would be able to see fairly easily.... hence it would be a jagged, not a carved top :D

and au3078, i was not aware that ProD is a free version of ProE...... i'm a noob regharding the types of software, etc..... but i can use it :D

here's a pic of the original design on paper.....

i tried to copy the LP shape to an extent, and this i just couldnt achieve on the CAD (and i think the drawn version looks better)

paperdesign.JPG

i aslo did some testing on materials (modelling foam and wax)

wax (with quick mock up model)

plastictest.JPG

foam (rear end of.......... model) :D

foamtest.JPG

today i have melted the wax into correct sized blank, (260 x 200 x 20) - pretty big!, and tomorrow will set the machine to cut it....... hopefully it doesnt muck up, as the cutting is a 5 hour job on this machine (its a Dahlgren 2000)..... and well, i hope it doesnt make any errors B)

woah thats cool..

Recently I've been studying the guitar body to see why it appeals

surfin through i saw this line and knew the answer. the shape of a guitar is appealing because it resembles a womans figure. stand your up so the neck points up and take a look and the face.

you probably already figured that out... in fact i think im just saying somethin everybodys noticed at one point or another.. so ill stop...

---> sorry for goin off topic, but its all i had to say for the most part.

a carve top can be done but it will take longer in ways. mostly planning out how to draw it. i started a blended cut on the body shape. I understand about transfering the body shape thats drawn on paper to the one on the computer I always get them close but sometimes its just like eh and I delete them. How long have u been using ProD?

• 3 weeks later...