Spokeshave

Lizardhands

Hi,

I picked up a new spokeshave today at a tool sale for next to nothing. This is the first time ive ever used one being the rasp and file man. Is there any secret to getting it to actually do something? either im veeerryy stupid, or it just isnt cutting anything. Does the blade need sharpening? Is there a certain way the blade needs to be set?

Cheers

Dave

Ignorance is bliss

I was never able to get my cheap spokeshaves to work very well for me. I recently bought a mid-priced ($50) spokeshave and it does an awesome job. The cheap spokeshaves just mangaled and chattered along and I ended up having to clean up a hell of a mess after using them. It could very well be that the blades are not sharp enough. It could also be the construction. The opening needs to be just right in order to cut cleanly in addition to having a sharp blade. Have you tried searching the net for spokeshave setup info? I seem to remember something like that somewhere. I was lucky enough to have a person from woodcraft show me how to set it up. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to explain. You want a slight bit if the blade exposed. All you want is a "shaving" of wood. If you do that and still get a bunch of chatter and clunk, try sharpening or buy a sharpened blade. If that doesn't do it, buy they Veritas spokeshave from woodcraft.

Keep the blade very sharp. A finer cut is far better. Always go with the grain.

I have my grandfathers spoke shave which is now probably over 100 years old. It works perfectly. He used it for making wagon wheel spokes.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I have two ones a Stanley, it's a flat sole plane, the other is very old over a 100 years I reckon I don't know what make it is. It's wood handles with a metal sole (rounded sole). Of the two the older one works the best.

Keith