Completed - Walnut/Cherry Telecaster

mpeg2

I've finished the project - and to my total surprise, the guitar is not only playable, but it sounds quite nice as well. This is my first Telecaster, so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to sound like, but its got the brightness on the bridge pickup, depth on the neck & sounds quite different from any of my other guitars.

Take a look here: http://psip.home.comcast.net/ and click on the bottom link.

I guess one measure of success was my son informing me that I'd be building his next guitar!

Thanks for all the help from folks on this forum.

Rich

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Wow. That is beautiful! I am glad you like the sound. The fact that it suits you is the real kicker. That is the best looking custom tele I have seen recently. Go enter in GOTM.

Isn't that what ping pong tables are for?

Actually, I just used mine as a horizontal surface to spread things out on. I still use it for its intended purpose. I've been doing most of my work on one of the Black&Decker workmates - probably the best invention for a workshop ever!

Rich

Very nice work. I'm starting on something similar. I ran across some 1/4" lacewood pretty cheap. It was only about 3 1/2" wide so I have glued up 4 pieces for a top. I decided to use 2 pieces of 4/4 mahogany for the bottom so it wouldn't get too thick. I'm going to rout out chambers in the top piece if mahogany. We'll see.

Drak: I used Fender Texas Special pickups - the bridge was from Stew Mac. The original intent was to use a mini-switch for each pickup - with the 3rd to allow switching between series and parallel. When I did the original wiring, something got messed up and everything was very noisy in the series position - so I simply pulled that part of the wiring out (its now conventionally wired, with the 3rd switch unconnected).

I dropped by a Guitar Center today, just to try compare some Fender Teles - I think I actually like the sound of mine better than any of the ones I tried. One important thing I noticed - I put a lot of time in shielding the cavities & doing star grounding. Every Fender I tried had considerable noise - the one I made is as quiet as any of the humbuckers I have.

Rich

Thats beautiful! Also I think it's great where your guitar you built, you enjoy more than a production guitar, after all thats why we all (try) make our own guitars

BTW No sarcasim intended in this post, if thats how it might look

Edited by rob