Another Modified Geetaur

Hey, guys. I just wanted to post my latest finished geetaur (my friend's spelling...like it? :D) This is actually the second guitar I did similarly, and I'll post pics of Thinskull 1 after I finish wiring it. In case you're wondering what the hell Thinskull is, it's a 2 man band that my friend Robert and I are working on. (We're giving up on drummers...LOL) Here are the pics followed by an explanation.

TS2fullfront.JPG

TS2body.JPG

TS2end.JPG

TS2fretboard2.JPG

TS2head.JPG

TS2back2.JPG

Here's what I did: First of all, I think plywood bodies DO have their good points. The black areas were all carved in 1 layer deep into the wood using a razor blade and small chisel (very tedious. I didn't have my Dremel at that point). I love plywood for this because you can keep it fairly even that way (it came in handy later when I found out the neck I ordered was too thick to sit properly in the pocket) So, I carved the skull out and then around the eye sockets and cheekbones, I built ridges up with wood putty and sanded them smooth to add contour. Without that it would have looked kinda plain. The area where the armrest in wouls have been impossible to continue the lines of the skull, so I made it look like it had been bashed in there. This used to be a trem body, but I filled in the bridge section of it and made it a hardtail. I left the spring cavity open though...I have plans for that hole. (that didn't sound right, did it?) And once again, I used my trademark car trunk liner spatter paint on the back and sides.

For the fretboard, I used a red plastic clipboard as my inlay material to spell THINSKULL, putting the letters in the normal fret marker positions. Ingenuity at its best B). I did the standard inlay thing, using the Dremel (and Brian's indispensable tutorial..you rule, dude!) to cut out everything. The white skull looking thing at the 12th fret is actually plastic epoxy mixed with white paint. If the pics don't show up well, let me know. I have some better pics of it before I refretted it.

I also used my Dremel (I'm really starting to love this thing) sanding drums to carve out all the barbs on the headstock. I still haven't put my logo on it yet, but I have forever, so...

Anyway, there ya have it. Thinskull 2. If you like that one, just wait till you see his older brother.

Thanks for looking

Spider-Skot

Sounds great. I currently have the Seymour Duncan that came out of Thinskull 1 in it right now. It's probably the simplest setup you can get. 1 pickup, 1 volume. My next one's not even gonna have a volume knob. It'll have an on/off switch for the pickup and that's it. :D Just kidding. I don't really see where plywood gets such a bad rap, because I think it sounds pretty decent. I have one I built out of solid maple that doesn't sound as good.

Thanks, guys. Glad you like it :D

BLS, you mentioned getting an EMG and painting it to match...I actually have a white Ibanez pickup on the way that I'm probably going to put a cover on and do exactly that, which was actually my original intention. You think just like me :D

The neck is actually a :D Johnson B) neck I got from eBay for $36, (can't afford to chop up a real Fender neck) but it's really not a bad neck at all. The heel's just too thick, that's all. I'd probably buy another one.

I'll be posting pics of Thinskull 1 by next weekend. I have a boatload of parts from StewMac on the way to finish it up. You think this one's cool, TS1 is a beast :D

Skot