Lacewood Project

mdw3332

MKG - I not going to try a carved top on this one - never done one before. I will take the edges down a little and maybe do a bit of contouring. It is right at 1.75" now so it's not too bad.

Setch, yeah, both of them will be opened up a bit. I routed the opening round and haven' cleaned those up yet. I've just finished gluing the top on so I can probably get closed to a finished shape tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,

Marty

I'm figuring I'll just sand it some and send it to DRAK to let him do some of his magic stuff. :D

If that doesn't work out, I'll probably stain it a deepish red and use lacquer clear coats. I've had good luck with that so far. When I get it sanded a bit, I will see if I need grain-filler. I did a sample where I mixed a dye with natural filler and it looked pretty good. Anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Marty

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

He just does the stain black and sand back technique. He does it well. I did a green dye and wet sanded with 1500G it until I was satisfied. That's how my green DC was done. It is also lacewood.

Jeff, yeah, I have done a couple with DRAK's method. I love it. He's the one who turned me onto this site and he helped me a bunch with an early Zebrawod Tele. His work, and yours, is incredible. Your DC is gorgeous. Did you use black stain under the green? Did you use fillers and/or sealers?

Cool cat - I don't think I could trust our two monsters around my projects.

Marty

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
Jeff, yeah, I have done a couple with DRAK's method. I love it. He's the one who turned me onto this site and he helped me a bunch with an early Zebrawod Tele. His work, and yours, is incredible. Your DC is gorgeous. Did you use black stain under the green? Did you use fillers and/or sealers?

Cool cat - I don't think I could trust our two monsters around my projects.

Marty

Wow. Thanx. I am flattered.

The finish is just dark green dye then sanded back.

Hey Marty, it looks GREAT!

What I normally do is to take a scrap piece of wood from the top wood (in your case the Lacewood), sand it down to almost veneer thickness on the belt-sander, then glue it on the headstock, so the neck 'matches' the guitar...gives it a little continuity so to speak...in the case of a 3-on-a-side headstock, I do a bookmatched headstock, just like your top.

I also will sand a 1/32 or so off of the headstock before I glue the veneer on so the overall thickness/height isn't too thick for the tuning gear shafts to accomodate. I make sure I do this before I begin finishing, so I can keep the headstock right up with the body, to keep them matched.

It's a good feeling inside when they start coming out that nice, eh? B)

Lookin' good. :D