peavey mod

hey all, just thought id open up a post for the mods im doing to my peavey raptor plus. im making a whole new neck for it (24 fret with acrylic inlays and custom headstock) and staining the body with minwax's midnight blue stain.

459713_76_full.jpg

thats the headstock

459713_77_full.jpg

thats the neck laminate in the vice, waiting for the glue to dry

There is no way you could successfully use that as your actual headstock.

It looks like it pretty much starts right at the nut...

What is a scarf joint?

See here (Under "Standard necks / Angled pegheads") :

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/guitarneck.htm

That pic a the top of the page (right under "angled pegheads") shows a perfect example of a scarf joint.

If your wood laminates are long enough you can cut the headstock out of that. Just cut the wood at the right angle (I used 13 degrees), cut the offcut to the right thickness, turn it round and glue it on. Don't ask me for anymore detail because I've only done it once and it probably isn't the best way to do it. Theres plenty of people here that know better than me.

There's a good diagram in Alvin Hiscocks book about how to do it. I'd suggest you try to get a hold of that before carrying on.

Good luck dude and I like the headstock :D

If your wood laminates are long enough you can cut the headstock out of that. Just cut the wood at the right angle (I used 13 degrees), cut the offcut to the right thickness, turn it round and glue it on. Don't ask me for anymore detail because I've only done it once and it probably isn't the best way to do it. Theres plenty of people here that know better than me.

There's a good diagram in Alvin Hiscocks book about how to do it. I'd suggest you try to get a hold of that before carrying on.

Good luck dude and I like the headstock B)

Melvyn Hiscock :D