Need Guitar Brand Suggestions

I am very serious about teaching myself to play the accoustic guitar, but I don't know the first thing about buying one. Can you suggest what I need to know, what brands are "worthy," what a guitar for a beginner should cost, and what pitfalls to avoid? :D

Thank you,

Jenk

Hi Jenk,

I would find a smaller guitar store, one where the sales people will take the time to show you the differences between less expensive and more expensive guitars. The problem with telling you what to buy or how much to spend is that the choice is very personal. Some people focus on the tone of the guitar. I focus on the feel of the guitar, how it fits in my hands. Also, as you move up market, the materials get better.

So set a maximum budget, and go have fun.

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what you paid for it. Nothing.

Brian,

Both Sam Ash and Guitar Center are within 5 minutes driving distance of my apartment. (How lucky am I in that respect? :D ) I have visited my local Guitar Center once but was advised by a co-worker to visit Sam Ash instead, as they supposedly charge less for the same product. (I'll be visiting Sam Ash sometime this weekend.)

The other thing that throws me about the thought of buying a guitar is the string issue. I know that at least six different types of metal strings are offered. Can someone please expound a bit upon the differences between them and what you find to be the pros/ cons of each? (My main concern is having my fingers fall off from being sliced up while trying to learn to play. :D)

Sorry to weight ya'll down with so many questions; I'm a passionate researcher before making any major investment. It's in my blood. B)

Jester700,

My only worry is this: How will I know that I've find *the* right guitar, if I can't even play the instrument? B)

I did visit Sam Ash today and got a basic guitar introduction by a very nice fellow. In fact, another customer started giving me advice by telling me his own personal story of buying cheap a year ago to learn the basic chords; he was in the store today to upgrade. I guess musical instruments can be addictive like anything else. :D

Jenk

If you don't know what you need, why don't you take along someone who knows more about guitars? I like small guitar shops, but it's good to go to a place that's big enough to have more than one of what you're looking for in stock (sample variability and all). If they don't let you try them all out (try not to go on their busiest day), leave and don't go back.

Hoser Rob,

I know of only one person who has some guitar-playing experience, but he's already told me that he doesn't know much about guitar brands themselves. That is, he taught himself to play basic chords on the Yamaha his teacher had sold him, but he's not one who can distinguish the better buy from the not-so-much-of-a-better buy. I actually have no one else. (My uncle, who is self-taught and, according to my mom, very good, lives out West.) I honestly don't have anyone whom I know who could guide me. :D

Here's something to keep in mind:

Samick is the worlds largest manufacturer of guitars and chances are no matter what is on the label it was made by them (if it's from overseas). Last I saw they were making over 75% of the guitars in the world and most of those have a Brand name on that you and I have heard of and probably play right now.

What I'm saying is IGNORE the labels on guitars. Buy it for how it feels. If it hangs comfortably, the neck fits your hand, there's nothing annoying you or in your way when you're strumming or picking and the fit and finish look to be of decent quality then it's going to make you happy. Sound is another issue altogether. What sounds good to me may sound like garbage to you, so make sure you like the sound of the guitar.

Price is always important too and you know how much you have to spend. I've heard great $150 strat copies (Yamaha's EG112) and crap $300 strat copies (I'll be nice!)......................

PM me if you want more info. I have a ton of guitars and can give you more info without boring everyone else here.

Maybe you should look up www.frets.com to get some idea of what you're looking at. I would suggest you try to match the neck to your hand. My Seagull has a pretty wide neck, but the palms of my hands are big, so I don't like too small necks. Seagull (or Art & Lutherie or Simon & Patrick, made by the same company and with narrower necks) are the best deals in acoustics I've ever seen.

Try to get one with the truest fingerboard as possible. Put your nose by the bottom strap pin and sight down the neck, under a good light source, and move the neck up and down so the reflection on the frets changes. This is a good way to see if there's any twist in the neck. If so, move on - this isn't feasible to fix unless it's a REALLY expensive ax. The guitar will never feel right or sound clean with a neck twist because it'll be out of tune and you won't get clean chords. Having frets that aren't totally ground flat helps a lot too. You can't get good intonation without crowns on the frets. My S6 does all this for $400 CDN w/case. Expect no less for the price (probably less in the US).

You might want to take a good 6" ruler along when shopping, to measure the action at the 12th fret if you don't quite know what you want. I don't think the 1st string should be higher than 3/32" (mine is 1/16"), or the 6th higher than 1/8" (mine is 3/32"). Also, hold the 6th string down at both the 1st fret and the body fret to check relief, ie. the neck gap at the 8th fret or so. It probably shouldn't be any more than the diameter of the 1st or 2nd string. This is somewhat individual to the instrument, though. Some stores (one near here, but not where I bought mine) include setup in the price, though they won't discount as much. This may be your best choice.

Tacoma would be my bang for the buck suggestion.

A word of caution both Sam Ash and GC are allegd to sell factory seconds, defects, etc...

I know that the 2 by me here in vegas dont set up anything or quality check it at all. If you don't know what you are doing it would be easy to buy a bad or damaged guitar there. I've seen many hanging on the walls. They are your music store equal to walmart.

Find someone who knows what they are doing to go with you. Small shops may also have the same problems, ask around about reputation and return policy.

I rented my first guitar, it was a way better deal they restrung etc... It wasn't too expensive and when i bought a couple months later i had at least a little idea what i liked.

Couple of things that may help:

Post your budget.

Post your location.(city state, country)

Chances are if a member lives near you they're dying for an excuse to go to a guitar shop. Its a disease known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome, if you didnt have it you probably wouldnt be here.

Jenk, where do you live at, maybe we have a pg member nearby who would be willing to meet you at sam ash or guitar center and offer their support!

D'ow I should read everyone's post more carefully, in other words, what syxxstring said! :D

Syxxstring and wylde1919,

My cap off is $300. (I don't want to spend more than that in the event that I don't continue on this path, or if I'm only going to upgrade in a few years' time.)

I live in the West Chicago burbs. (I will post this info. elsewhere in order to maximize my chances of a Chicagoan reading it.)

Gear Acquisition Syndrome? :D Good one, Syxxstring...

Jenk

i would say that when you look for an acoustic, whereever or whichever you decide to get, look for these things:

1. a solid top that is either spruce or cedar(mahogany is ok, but not as bright)

2.that the top has straight (relatively close grain) and that the grain on the sides and back are uniform and kind of go in one direction

3.sides such as rosewood, cherry, mahogany are good( i like rosewood)

In my opinion used or new doesen't really matter if the guitar's is made well and with good wood it is going to sound well no matter what the price.

i like seagull's(a canadian company), takamine,

( i would suggest finding a used acoustic with a really good looking top and sides.)

Hi Jenk,

I started playing about a year ago on a J. Reynolds(i.e. CHEAP!!!) Dreadnought. Not the best choice of quality. Chinese built, plywood. Go for the upper end of beginner guitars

and try to avoid plywood if possible. As for strings, I nearly sliced my fingers to ribbons the first week I played. I have friends who work for Martin Guitars ( I live 30 mins. from Nazareth, PA) They suggested using extra light gauge Silk and Steel strings until my fingers got calloused. I tried it and it was unbelievable how much more practice time I was able to put in. After about 3 months, I switched to Martin SP 80/20 bronze, medium strings, again on the recommendation of C. F. Martin employees. I have tried D'Addario strings and I keep coming back to the Martins. The 80/20's add a rich tone to an otherwise cheesy guitar. Hope this helps you out. P.S. I have begun working on building my very first guitar. It will be a 000 size, built from Stewmac's kit with a few personal touches. I will post when finished.

Marc

Curtis Customs

Thank you for the information. I'm nervous now, though, about slicing up my fingers. Not that I'm a vain female, but I'd hate walking around with bandages all over my left hand. (All you'd be able to see is my wedding ring sticking out from gauze. B))

Yesterday, I was able to speak with a professional guitarist living in Chicago. He recommended that, for someone my size (small, short arms), I avoid the dreadnought body style at all costs. (He recommended "OO," "OOO," and Orchestra.) He also recommended the brands Yamaha, Seagull, Takamine, and Fender (and concurred when I told him that others have raved about Ibanez).

Now I've narrowed down body styles, but my list of potential brands has increased. Oy!!! I feel like I'm back to square one. And now I should be thinking about the types of strings used. Yep, I'm definitely back to square one. :D:D

dude, check out This guitar I played one a few weeks ago and it rocked. Its is however dreadnaught shaped.

-Vadim

Dude? I think Jenk said she's female. :D

Vadim, have you tried the Ovation-alikes while you were there? I was thinking of getting something like the "Agile HRB-350 Acoustic/Electric" ($169.95) Rondo's about an hour away from me. I'd like to know if it's even worth the trip out there B).

Larrivee Guitars are amazing. I own a LV-03RE- its got a solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides ultra fast neck, cutaway, built in B-Band preamp and electronics, "natural" flame maple binding, hardshell case, etc. and it sounds wonderful. I went to the Sam Ash and Guitar center looking for a Taylor and I played a Larrivee and I changed my mind instantly. The good thing is that they are priced a little more affordably than Taylor guitars. I got mine from Dave at Guitar Adoptions (www.guitaradoptions.com). He can get you a good price, too. Mine listed at either 1799 or 1899 and Dave got me it for just $950. They also sell breedlove, lakewood, washburn and santa cruz guitars, and I bet pricing is just as good on those too. Hope this helps!

dude, check out This guitar I played one a few weeks ago and it rocked. Its is however dreadnaught shaped.

-Vadim

Dude? I think Jenk said she's female. :D

Vadim, have you tried the Ovation-alikes while you were there? I was thinking of getting something like the "Agile HRB-350 Acoustic/Electric" ($169.95) Rondo's about an hour away from me. I'd like to know if it's even worth the trip out there B).

otgordin can refer to me as dude if he (assuming otgordin is, himself, a dude) wants. I don't take offense. In fact, I laughed and told my husband, "Hey, I'm now considered a dude." :D (I got a strange look.) :D

I forgot to mention that the guitarist with whom I spoke mentioned Ovation as a good brand, as well. I'm going to have to narrow down my selection a bit.... Thus far, I've read some of the best reviews for Seagull, Takamine, and Ibanez. (That doesn't mean I won't keep my eyes open for other special brands, but I definitely will need something smaller in size than a dreadnought.)

Sorry, I didn't know you were female. As far as the ovation style agile acoustics, no I didn't play them as I have never like composite bowl backs. Just a matter of preference.

nyjbkim: I would say spend the time to go out there if you are looking into getting a guitar. I would never buy somehing i had not played. Granted it is 20 minutes to rondo from me.

-Vadim