Need Guitar Brand Suggestions

I don't know what price range you're looking at, but at the more moderate end of the range I'd be looking at a Seagull or Art & Lutherie if you want a smaller bodied guitar. They both sell boxes about classical size and one even smaller for about $400 or less and they're the best deal in acoustic guitars. You may have to search a bit more for them since they don't advertise as much and a lot of dealers don't want to sell anything with a limited lifetime warranty.

If I'd known you were female I would have suggested a smaller guitar before. I don't know your height but most flattops are dreadnought size, and are sized for men. My S6 is a small dread size and it works for me (I need a 35"-36" sleeve) but I've seen too many 5'1" women playing a guitar they can barely wrap their arms around.

I grew up in a musical family and was always told that cheap instruments were a waste of money, and that is SO true (though cheap guitars are a lot better than they used to be). If you don't feel comfortable holding it and pressing the strings down (though that may be somewhat difficult anyway for a beginner), and if it doesn't sound reasonably good to you, than one of two things will happen. Either you'll get a better one soon or you won't play it. Either way, it'll end up gathering dust, and crappy guitars are pretty hard to sell.

Are you set on getting a steel string acoustic?

When I began playing I started with a classical guitar. The thinner strings are made of nylon and are MUCH easier on the fingers. They generally have a wider fingerboard but it helped me make my fingers more limber. Don't confuse nylon strings with a cheapo guitar. They sound beautiful if it's made decently.

As for a steel string, I bought a Martin DX-1 for $400. I know it's more than you wanted to pay but with a good set of strings it plays VERY nice and sounds excellent for a low end Martin. You'd be happy with it for years to come I think. I have noticed that as soon as the strings get old it loses some sound deffinition and gets a little 'muffled' or 'muddy' sounding but I still play it alot so the strings wear faster.

I've always been happy with my purchase (had it for...5 years now?)

Are you set on getting a steel string acoustic?

When I began playing I started with a classical guitar. The thinner strings are made of nylon and are MUCH easier on the fingers. They generally have a wider fingerboard but it helped me make my fingers more limber. Don't confuse nylon strings with a cheapo guitar. They sound beautiful if it's made decently.

As for a steel string, I bought a Martin DX-1 for $400. I know it's more than you wanted to pay but with a good set of strings it plays VERY nice and sounds excellent for a low end Martin. You'd be happy with it for years to come I think. I have noticed that as soon as the strings get old it loses some sound deffinition and gets a little 'muffled' or 'muddy' sounding but I still play it alot so the strings wear faster.

I've always been happy with my purchase (had it for...5 years now?)

VanKirk,

I am looking to get a steel string, yes. I do, however, know of someone willing to sell a once-$2,500 classical guitar (which she had insured). I would prefer, however, to just jump into the steel string arena.

There are two reasons why I'd like to keep my purchase at $300 ($400 max. with case):

1) My husband and I are socking away every spare dime for a house; so while I have some "play" money to spend, I won't allow myself to go over a set amount ($400); yet I refuse to wait another year, or so, to take up the guitar.

2) While I envision myself playing the guitar for the rest of my life, I'm also being realistic, knowing that I may not. If I spend quite a bit on an instrument I end up putting down, I'll feel rather bummed about the whole thing. Besides, I've had numerous people (online and in person) tell me that I needn't spend over $300 for a good starter guitar.

Is it true that a low-end Martin, Taylor, or Gibson is still a quality guitar? Or is it on par with, say, a mid-range Seagull, Ibanez, Takamine, etc.?

Thanks,

Jenk

Hmm low end Taylors....well... if by that you mean the Big Baby Taylor then yes, it is pretty good for the price, but keep in mind its not a full sized guitar. The "low end" full size taylors still run near or above $1000. There are some cheap/cheaper Martins, but I don't know how they are. I don't personally like Martin guitars so I have never spent much time trying to figure them out. Seagull are very nice, and, in my opinion, all of the seagull guitars I have played sound much better than the low end Martin and Gibson guitars. My idea about "low end" guitars from big name companies is that they are a lot of hype about having the brand name on the guitar. I know that Alvarez has some very nice guitars that are in your price range, and Seagull does too. That breedlove guitar that was shown at guitaradoptions.com in the link a while up is also very nice. I have played that model and was extreemly impressed. I would say to go with a Seagull, the Breedlove or an Alvarez but be sure to play the guitar before you buy it and see if you like it yourself. Your own opinion is what matters most! :D

Well, since your not sure if you'll continue to play then I agree that you don't need to spend more than $300.

I would advise that you try out as many guitars as you can at a few local stores. Just to get an idea of how nice a guitar can sound and feel, try out a higher end, expensive guitar (avoid salepeople if you can, especially most Guitar Center sales people). Then jump down to one about half the price and continue on down until you find one that feels and sounds right for the price.

The tone will be something that you'll have to decide on but as for the playability, I try and play each string on every fret and listen for any strings that buzz annoyingly. You shouldn't have to press the strings down so hard that it hurts your fingers or hands. Try learning a couple 'bar chords' and try to play those at different positions along the neck as well.

Since your budget is limited you probably will have to deal with a certain amount of string buzz. I think that 'test driving' is the only way to go B) .

You can try getting an inexpensive guitar that sounds good with just a small amount of buzz and then have a local luthier work his magic with a 'fret dressing' and/or new nut installation. A good luthier can make a low end guitar play pretty nicely.

Most music stores either employ or contract luthiers. When you are ready to purchase a guitar you can ask the store to have it 'set-up' before you buy it.

Long winded but I hope this helps. Good luck! :D:D

P.S. Keep us posted on what you get. :D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

My wife and I went around for like 3 weeks looking for the perfect guitar. We tried out 000, 00, ect smaller bodies, but she finally decided on this.

tradition_s.jpg

Dean tradition S. I paid $270 on the spot. Great guitar for the $$.

I should also state that she is 5'4" and then 110 lbs. She's pregnant now, so....

Dean tradition for $254

i like some of the lower end taylors.... can't remember the exact model, but they had one here that sounded great, all i remember is that it had 2 back screws going thru the fingerboard at the neck joint, other then that and the finish job, it was a nice guitar, the tone was all i cared about

i like some of the lower end taylors.... can't remember the exact model, but they had one here that sounded great, all i remember is that it had 2 back screws going thru the fingerboard at the neck joint, other then that and the finish job, it was a nice guitar, the tone was all i cared about

Those are the baby taylors. I like them alot too.

I would go for these brands:

Samick

Commodore

Gibson

Seagull

Ibanez

Taylor

Jay Turner

Thats all i can think of off the top f my head, i have played all of these nd own a Commodore, they all sound very nice, and if i remeber correctly you can get a 3/4 jay turner, little small for me, but maybe the right size for you, just a thought

All the Best

Curtis

Samick

I know you didn't just mention the hellspawn company that just bought out the company I work for. :D

CHEAP ASS, COOKIE CUTTER, OVERSEAS CRRRRRAP!!!!

WheW! B)

Sorry, you just touched a sore spot. I have another post that explains why in the off topics chat.

as far as guitar brands takamine for the price is usualy a realy nice well balanced instrument but you have to keep in mind you only get what you pay for. gibsons and taylors are great but if your still learnin i wouldnt spend to much on it. i still have my second guitar a grea tlittle takamine eg530 c i picked up for 350 with case good sound and feel . antoher thing to if your on a limited budget start playin guitars at the music store find about what fells and sounds right to you then go look for some pawn shops they usualy have some realy cheap instruments they might have a few scrathces dents and dings but it just gives them character and you can make up some good storys as to how they got there well good luck i hope you enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a Breedlove Atlas import (SR25). $600 for solid front & back (rosewood back) and electronics. This thing is awesome for the price. It even sounds better than my Taylor 412 because the body is bigger. It's tough to compete with Korean guitars at the low price points.

As for REAL cheapos, the "Greg Bennett" Samick was the best $100 3/4 size student model I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I play a 30 year old guild classical acoustic and i love its sound, i played that for my first half year of guitar playing, its a good idea to do that i felt because it was easy no my fingers and developed callouses slowly but painlessly and i build up skill to, i thnk thats a great way to do it.

i play classical and from what i have and heard id say the yamahas have very good entry level guitars. look for several things. first off try every fret on the fretboard and all the strings and see if theres any buzz. play all the strings seperately and see if any string sounds dull or quiet.

soi thats what basically comes to mind

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my $.02, since it looks like you STILL haven't bought that guitar, Jenks...

I just started playing about 1 month ago myself. I went to Guitar Center. I originally limited myself to $300, just like you. I asked for no advice and just went on instinct (I taught myself to play piano at 6 and have a pretty good ear for music, I think).

I first bought an Ovation Celebrity for $300, but found I didn't like the bowl shaped plastic back (difficult to hold comfortably while playing) and the unamplified sound, while acceptable, wasn't great.

I traded the Ovation in after a few days for a Yamaha (can't remember model number) for the same price. This model has a very nice (for the price) Englemann spruce top and sounded significantly better than the Ovation. Good beginner guitar, but...

I kept going back to Guitar Center (and a few smaller stores, too) and playing other guitars, mostly expensive ones (e.g., Martins; Gibsons; Taylors - well over $1,000 guitars). This exercise helped me develop my sense of feel and ear for tones quickly. It also rapidly made me dissatisfied with the Yamaha.

I finally bit the bullet and traded in the Yamaha on a Tacoma DM9 and I am very happy I did. This is a $500 guitar (new, retail, in GC) but it is all solid mahogany on the back and sides (no laminate) with a solid spruce (Sitka?) top. the cheapest "real" all solid wood guitar I could find. Not fancy but I kind of like them that way. And it sounds way better than the Yamaha, which was considerably better than the Ovation, which is better than a lot of beginner guitars. It was worth the extra money for me to have better tone quality. Now I can't stop playing.

Yes, my fingers are all cut up (just the fingertips). I don't care; I just keep playing. I'm not changing the strings because these strings sound good on this guitar.

Tacoma, for my money, makes the best entry-level guitar going. If my budget was a little higher ($1,000) I would instead buy a Larrivee. I actually love (lust after?) the Larrivee. The neck is just a little bit smaller. The fingerboard is ebony instead of rosewood (major difference if you ask me) and the sound is unbelievably sweet and warm.

So, based on my experience, if you stay with a $300 budget, Yamaha makes an excellent guitar (maybe a Seagull is better; haven't played one). Up the budget to $500 and Tacoma is KING of that hill. Splurge all the way (or almost) up to $1,000 and nobody can touch Larrivee.

But your mileage may vary. I am still just a beginner, after all.

plastic back, the only thing that is good for, is for a tupoware party. not dissing your first guitar (well actually i am :D ) but plastic has very limited tonal properties.

i may be a tad biased but i wuld suggest you start with classical, first of all it is more of a solo instrument/style, many songs you would see for electric and some for steel string are made to be with a guitar bass drums and whatnot, but a classical you would be up and goig with small pieces Especially since you play piano, this will make the learning curve much less snce you wouldnt need to learn about theory (most likely), and all you need to do is to crrespond the notes to each strings (its quiet simple really, each fret raises the pitch one half step)

Also Nylon strings are much easier on your fingers, especially in the beggining, and they help you build calluses

My final point is that playing classical will greatly improve your technique so that when you decide to make the switch to electric (or just add electric), it will make it much easier to learn the technique for soloing and other things

But as a warnin even if you did learn piano on your own, o would recomend getting a teacher, at least a group class, but better private lessons, The teacher would help you catch things you would have never noticed, and is hard to describe in a book (unless the book was purty long). And its much better to go through the effort of learning something right from the start then trying to re learn it later on (whichj is a pain in the a:hyper )

• 3 weeks later...
I finally bit the bullet and traded in the Yamaha on a Tacoma DM9 and I am very happy I did.

Good choice.

I agree. That's a great guitar for the money.

It's comparable to guitars that are $100 or more over the DM9 price.

I played a few of them, one when I visited the factory. (job interview but they pay crap) :D